Imposition of Hindi

This forum is to post any breaking news and news articles

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Imposition of Hindi

Post by prasen9 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 am

So, now that the election is over, the BJP is trying to push Hindi down the throats of the country. TN parties have protested against this.. That then provoked the response, "oh, this is a draft only". Whatever. If you don't want to do it, why is it in the draft? Maybe this is sort of a trial balloon by the BJP to see how hard people will fight back. While I can understand Hindi, speak a bit, and have spoken with friends, put my daughter in Hindi classes, etc., I firmly oppose the imposition of any language on anyone. I applaud the Tamils who have vehemently fought for language rights. Some of the other language speakers are benefiting because of their activism.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Imposition of Hindi

Post by jayakris » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:35 am

Hey, if you complain too much, they will impose samskRtam on you, okay? You would hate that even more, I assume?

But to be serious, I thought this issue had kinda died away because everybody (except me) speaks Hindi in India, anyway. Even in Kerala, where even fewer Hindi speakers existed than in Tamil Nadu, say 40 years ago, when I was in high school. I don't know if there is that kind of opposition to Hindi like there was, before we opened up all of India for television in the 80s.

prasen9

Post by prasen9 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:13 pm

I would love to learn Samskritam. Even by imposition. Because it is a beautiful language. And doing so, does not really choose winners and losers among the country's languages. If you really insist, give people a choice between Samskritam and Tamil. As a computer scientist working on natural language processing, I believe Samskritam would possibly be *the* language on which a computer would perform best (provided large corpora were available for training). Speaking loosely, that is because it has the least amount of context-sensitiveness among spoken languages. I regret my parents and my school system did not insist that I learn that.

Like I said, I know (some) and can speak Hindi. But, if it is imposed, I will rise up in opposition. If the whole country learns voluntarily, I have no problem. I would encourage it. Learning as many languages is a good thing. In this case, it is about principle.

prasen9

Post by prasen9 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:46 am

So the centre dropped the clause. The good folks in TN saved the day.