Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by prasen9 »

I would not say "versions". In List-As, I doubt he can be successful with today's laws. Very few finger spinners can or have. If anyone has shone, it is Bhajji. But, he plays in a spin-friendly city. R Chahar has been better than Ashwin. Gopal and Chahal have been more attacking bowlers and Ashwin more defensive. Ashwin would not make the All-IPL team as a bowler even if we restrict it to Indian bowlers. That would perhaps be: Chahar, Bumrah, Gopal, Bhajji, Hardik. Hardik is certainly the top all-rounder. Gopal pips Chahal and R. Chahar because he can bat. Bhajji because he has the numbers. The pacers of the tournament have been Chahar and Bumrah.

It is wrong to drop Kuldeep instead of whatever pacer we are selecting to partner Gurney. If he needed rest, then that is fine. But, on merit, I would choose him despite his abysmal drop in form. Have Russell open the bowling with Gurney and then choke by spin.

But, this KKR team is crappy and will go nowhere.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

My Indian IPL XI batting lineup so far would be:

Rahane, Dhawan, Kohli, Rana, Samson, Pant, Hardik

Rana can be the sixth bowler. Pant keeps wickets.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Who will captain the side?
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Given it is only 20 overs, I would have Pant and Hardik coming in earlier.

Dhawan, KL, Kohli, Pant, Hardik, Samson, Parag.

The one thing that stands out in the IPL is the lack of Indian powerhitters. Hardik is the only genuine one while Pant is more leg side hacking which to his credit does seem to work.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

KL has been terribly slow this IPL.

By the numbers, it has been:

Hardik in a class of his own.

Pant.

Then, come Samson, Karthik.

Then, come Rana, Parag, and Mayank. Parag has only scored 110 runs. His T20 SR in 12 innings is 131. He is young and can hit. But, if it is pure hitting so can Krunal. One needs to be able to stay at the wicket for some balls and hit consistently. Getting Parag in the team is more on hope and faith. And, maybe a damning indication that we have no power hitters other than Hardik. Then, if we have to choose someone it has to be Pant. Pant should have been in the WC team as a backup. Karthik can hit too but is not as explosive regularly.

Samson and Karthik are hit or miss. On their days, they can hit. On other days, they are weirdly subdued.

The rest are not consistent enough to even score 30 when needed.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Some day, I want someone to try this batting order (for maybe an All-IPL game):

Hardik, Pant, Samson, Karthik, Rana, Parag, Agarwal.

That is, send the most explosive bats first and then if you lose wickets the ones lower down the order can then play the slower innings. But, if the top order goes off and continues then you can set 235 or whatever as KKR showed.

At one point, we used the explosive young Dhoni as the opener or #3. And, he scored 180+ at a very good rate, if I recall correctly. I was hoping that that would be permanent but no we had to push him back down the order.

The "greedy" strategy would be to set up a batting order based on SR. Bowlers like Gopal, Ashwin, Kuldeep or Binny or whoever are big hitters would come up the order in T20s a la Narine, the order being based on their SR.

I think one thing we will all agree on. Bumrah needs to always come #11 ;-) I wish he improved on his batting though.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Parag is also a handy bowler which is part of the reason why he was in my IPL XI.

Another selfish knock from KL at the top of the innings which has catapulted him to 2nd in runs scored.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rahul is a better batsman than Rahane. Because of these knocks from Rahul, I kept him out of mine even though no other Indian opener has been consistent. Rahane cannot rotate the strike. In T20s, he should just be told to go blast off.

Parag has a way to go. He bowls 10 balls a match in T20s, averages 51 and 7.94. I think in an all-IPL team, with Hardik as the fifth bowler, you will possibly not need a sixth. Rana bowls 3 balls a match but he averages 24.57 and 7.7. Rana's is the bigger sample size. I think KKR should add another bat and have Rana bowl if they need a sixth bowler.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So, a small amount of movement in the leaderboard:

Batting (qual: 230 runs, by average): Dhoni 119/143, Rahul 58/132, Pandya 51/198, Pandey 39/140, Dhawan 39/137, Samson 37/152, Iyer 36/122, Rahane 36/139.

Pandey hitting some form. Pure hitter --- only one who is consistent --- Pandya. Then, it is Pant and then Samson. Other than that, the cupboard seems bare.

Why is Iyer exceptionally slow? Dhoni leads the middle-class hitters wrt SR followed by Pandey, Rahane, Dhawan. Then, we have Rahul. But then way back, we have Iyer!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So the regular season ends.

Batting (qual: runs, by average): Dhoni 123/140, Rahul 54/135, Pandya 47/197, Pandey 45/138, Dhawan 37/137, Pant 36/158, Rana 34/146, Samson 34/149.

Now ordering by SR. Pandya was fabulous. Pant was very good. Samson and Rana decent. Dhoni, Dhawan, Pandey, Rahul reasonable to slow.

It is unfortunate no "new" batsman could really catch on and take advantage of the IPL. I suppose one can say Pant is "new" to the LOI scene. Other than that it is ex-India player Samson.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

KKR set a record for being the worst bowling outfit in the history of the IPL (by taking 56 wickets in 14 matches).

@prasen, Gill did ok after being promoted to opener. Parag is a new find.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Which is why KKR should have abandoned one of the crappy bowlers and taken one more batsman and tried to score 20 runs more than par every match. Anyway, crappy team.

Gill did okay when asked to open. This is a la Rohit. A lot of players will do okay if given the chance to open and build an innings. Although players like Rahane may fail at that because they cannot place the ball at will. We have or will have a lot of top-order batsmen for the future. Rohit and Dhawan for now. Then, Prithvi and Mayank. Add Gill to that. Kohli will be one of the top-3. So, two places will be vacant. But, we need a hitter who can hit in the middle-orders badly. Hardik and Pant. That is all we have. I would try to use Samson and give him a chance to see if he can do it. That is where I was hoping Gill could contribute but he cannot.

For both Parag and Gill the sample size is too small to say anything. With a small sample size at the start Prithvi, Vijay, and Mayank looked great too. Then, they faded.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

One game left. Dhoni said that the bowlers had CSK win this season. That is perhaps very true.

The leaders (qual:11 wickets, avg < 25, full list):
Khalil 15.1/8.2, Gopal 17.3/7.2, Bhajji 17.8/7.1, Chahal 21.4/7.8, Jadeja 22/6.4, Bumrah 23.2/6.8, D. Chahar 24/7.5, Mishra 24.5/6.8, R. Chahar 24.5/6.8, Shami 24.7/8.7

Bumrah is the most outstanding pacer. Then it would be, Khalil and D. Chahar.

The best leggie was Gopal, offie Bhajji, and left-armer Jadeja. There are a lot of leggies Chahal, R. Chahar, and Mishra who are among the leading wicket-takers. Which indicates clearly that we need wrist-spinners in the middle overs of a LOI game.

Bhuvi would not even be in the list if the avg was < 35! His run-rate was 7.8 though. I am almost tempted to say that Ishant Sharma should be sent in the India-A team for the List-A matches. He seems to have more control now. We pretty much have no death-bowlers to accompany Bumrah. Or else, give D. Chahar a long run.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The collapse of Kuldeep Yadav this IPL season was a worrying factor just before the World Cup. Piyush Chawla was picked ahead of him in the second half of the season, reversing what had happened in the last 2 Seasons. Kuldeep was an IPL discovery, and may now have been destroyed (or at least diminished) by the IPL.

Rahul Chahar eclipsed the two wrist-spinners who are now the Team India regulars. As did Sreyash Gopal.