Indian Athletics Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

kna

Re: Indian Athletics Thread ...

Post by kna »

Video of Hima Das winning the 400m final. She paced herself really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trnnapG4-AM

A version with the medals ceremony and national Anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl4-nYjuPV4
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Awesome race to watch. thanks KNA for the links!

Hima Das has created history today and there is more to come. She really ran a well paced race without worry and ignoring the weight of expectations, saving energy for a strong burst in the last 100 mts. She actually eased up before the finish line!! Very compact running style. :clap: :clap:

With proper guidance and coaching, dare I say, she is a medal contender in 2020 Olympics!!

she is off the 2016 Olympic Gold pace, by a full 2 secs. But, there was a lot left in the tank when she finished the race - and there is bound to be improvements in next two years. Let us see....
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I agree, she definitely eased up at the end. So, improvement is likely. May she bring more success and joy to an Olympic athletic medal starved nation.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

400m runners probably peak around their mid-20s so certainly a long way to go for Hima.

Does anyone know her PB progression over the last 24 months?
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

She literally started racing only 2 years back (late 2016 onwards). They were expecting 54 secs and she did 51.97 secs in March of this year, to qualify for the commonwealth games....

https://scroll.in/field/871079/from-str ... le-journey
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

From March 2018 article. http://www.espn.com/athletics/story/_/i ... gold-coast
Indeed, neither Malakar nor Das wants to limit his predictions for her. "I've stopped making predictions for her," says coach Das. "I never expected her to go from a village to the Commonwealth Games in less than two years. When she told me about her preparations for the Federation Cup, I said she must try to run faster and she replied that she will run in 49 seconds very soon. She has no worries about how hard that is. She simply believes in herself that she can. And then she does it."
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

A bit on Hima and progression:

https://www.iaaf.org/athletes/athlete=319678

This is her CGW performance, so it gives some idea of her PB progression:

https://results.gc2018.com/en/athletics ... ma-das.htm

So, she was slower than her 6th place finish (51.32 s) in CGW.

From this article:
https://www.hindustantimes.com/other-sp ... BPM6M.html
Das clocked an Indian U-20 record of 51.32 seconds to finish sixth in the Commonwealth Games 400m final in Gold Coast in April. Since then, she has gone onto improving her timings. She lowered the Indian U-20 record in 400m to 51.13 seconds while winning gold in the recent National Inter State Championships in Guwahati.
Last edited by Atithee on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

What a run by Hima Das from 300 to 400M especially. I think she was 4th or 5th in the race before that. She certainly appears to be a natural athlete.
Prashant wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:10 pm This is exciting! I wonder though if a lot of the best junior runners have already moved on to the adult circuit?
A few under 20 athletes have done better in adult circuit. But, then Hima is only 18 and at her age the fastest in the world in 400M.

Finally we seem to be getting some world class athletes.

In Javelin, Neeraj Chopra is #2 in this year's top list among under 21 age group and in high jump, Tejswin Shanker is #2 in under 20 age group.

I am looking forward for these 3 to take the next leap for us for an elusive olympic medal in athletics.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Amazing run by Hima Das ... Impressed with her performance and confidence.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

No saag I hope?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

rajitghosh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:40 am No saag I hope?
Or, God forbid, any gender issues. Mugu, your take?
shibi

Post by shibi »

I think no spinach & no gender issues. She is prodigiously talented, not too trained, unafraid & confident. I think we haven't seen the likes of her in Indian Atheletics. Within 5 months of taking up the event, she has proved herself at the world stage.

She is no. 2 in Asia. The no.1 Bahraini woman Salwa Eid Naser who has the top 5 best timings in Asia this years is both very talented & experienced. Yet I would be disappointed if Hima Das doesn't bag the gold in the coming Asian Games.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

An unnecessary controversy about an AFI tweet that mentioned her lack of fluency in English - AFI tweet to Hima Das provokes backlash
I think AFI didn't mean to belittle her, but they were damn stupid in drawing attention to this, thinking it would be a taken as a compliment!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:38 am
rajitghosh wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:40 am No saag I hope?
Or, God forbid, any gender issues. Mugu, your take?
The longer Mugu takes to respond, the more worried I become. But he was here yesterday predicting that she would win it. I suspect he wouldn't do that and would only stay quiet if he had any doubts.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

shibi wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 am I think no spinach & no gender issues. She is prodigiously talented, not too trained, unafraid & confident. I think we haven't seen the likes of her in Indian Atheletics. Within 5 months of taking up the event, she has proved herself at the world stage.

She is no. 2 in Asia. The no.1 Bahraini woman Salwa Eid Naser who has the top 5 best timings in Asia this years is both very talented & experienced. Yet I would be disappointed if Hima Das doesn't bag the gold in the coming Asian Games.
Nigerian-Bahraini Salwa Eid Nasser is winning Diamond League events and is arguably the best in the world right now in the 400m. Hima Das will need to take it up by quite a bit to beat her but her rate of improvement thus far has been amazing so it is not impossible...