Afghanistan's inaugural test, 14-18 June 2018

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Afghanistan's inaugural test, 14-18 June 2018

Post by PKBasu »

Afghanistan will become a test playing nation when they take on India in their inaugural test match. Afghanistan is the first nation that was never a true British colony (and is certainly not a member of the Commonwealth) to become a test-playing nation. (The English East India Company briefly ruled Afghanistan, 1839-42, but that was before cricket was a properly organised sport). Ireland will play its first test shortly against Pakistan: Ireland too is a non-member of the Commonwealth, although of course it was a British colony for more than seven centuries. Cricket is the only sport in which the whole of Ireland (including Northern Ireland) plays as a single country.

This the first test that will be played in India in mid-June, normally a brutally hot period (especially in north India, where it is dry too, just before the monsoon arrives). But the weather in the highland plateau on which Bengaluru (Bangalore) stands is quite pleasant at that time:
https://www.weather2travel.com/june/india/bangalore.php

Maximum daytime temperature of 29°C, so definitely reasonable to play cricket.

India will be captained by Ajinkya Rahane, who (I suspect) will be a passenger in the side against the spectacular spin bowling of Rashid Khan and Mujeeb ur Rehman. The India squad is: Ajinkya Rahane (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, M Vijay, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Karun Nair, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Umesh Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Hardik Pandya, Ishant Sharma, Shardul Thakur.

Pujara and Ishant will have to come back from England to play this test.
prasen9

Re: Afghanistan's inaugural test, 14-18 June 2018

Post by prasen9 »

Given that it is a home test, my XI would be:

Dhawan, Vijay, Pujara, Rahul, Rahane, Saha, Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep. The other two slots would go to Hardik and Shami.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Given that Ashwin and Jadeja are all-rounders (especially in home tests), I would pick:

Dhawan, Rahul (given Vijay's extreme propensity to get injured), Pujara, Rahane, Nair, Ashwin, Saha, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Shami, Umesh.

In fact, it makes complete sense to let Pujara and Ishant stay in England, and not rush back for this test. Instead, Vijay could open, Rahane should bat at #3 to avoid the spinners, Rahul at #4, and the rest of the side would be as above.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think Pujara has a gap in that he is not playing during that time. I would be fine with not playing Pandya. But, Vijay and Pandya will possibly be needed in England. So, may not be a bad idea to give them some match practice.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Afghanistan picked four spinners. Time for a green top in Bengaluru. Even if the ball seams from the pitch instead of swinging in the air, a bit of grass will enable bounce and will give some practice for our England-bound batsmen.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKBasu wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:08 am the spectacular spin bowling of Rashid Khan and Mujeeb ur Rehman.
I did not believe that these guys are that great. Because no nation was that great or had world-beaters in their first test. Of course, I did not say anything before because of their good performance in T20s. But, at least at home, and when the pitch does not assist them, they are total crap. Of course, they are inexperienced and that showed. Ditto for the captaincy.

Dhawan again beat up cupcake bowling. He was out once but Afghanistan did not use their DRS. They used the DRS on another decision that did not look and at the end was not out. Dhawan is very useful in India because he takes on Sehwag's mantle and keeps the board ticking at the top of the order. Despite the 100, I would drop him in the first test in England. I would bring in Kohli for him.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Both spinners bowled beautifully in the final session. And the match is evenly poised after the first day mainly because of their brilliant spin bowling -- following up on some easy wickets that the top order Indian batsmen gifted away after reaching personal milestones.

That Rahane is the worst player of spin among all those who have played regularly in the Indian middle order (at least in the past 40 years) was again evident today. I would drop him for home tests.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rashid Khan basically is a googly bowler. His legbreak is a variation that isn't bowled the conventional way, but by using a knuckle finger -- which makes it difficult to spot. Both Rashid and Mujeeb are very unusual bowlers, with wrist actions that are uniquely innovative.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Impressive 154 by Rashid Khan for two wickets. Yes, Rashid bowls 2/3rd of his balls as googlies and the other 1/3rd slight leg-spinners or carrom-balls. Glad that India took him to the cleaners. All the bowlers except Ahmadzai were hit. Now hopefully our bowlers will do their job. 474 is about 25 runs short but Afghanistan's inexperience should help a bit and the pitch will help our pacers a bit.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Afghanistan's batting is very far short of test class. They definitely need more first-class experience, but how are they going to get it?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

PKBasu wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:49 pm Afghanistan's batting is very far short of test class. They definitely need more first-class experience, but how are they going to get it?
May be allowing them to (play) selection for Ranji trophy?
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

PKBasu wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:49 pm Afghanistan's batting is very far short of test class. They definitely need more first-class experience, but how are they going to get it?
I am not sure if they care about test match cricket.

Getting them full membership is a way to strengthen the BCCI.

They are already very competitive in T20 and I expect them to continue improving in the shorter formats.

Test matches are not profitable for the smaller countries neither are they conducive to the game's growth and survival.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I was surprised that Karun Nair didn’t get to play this test. I would have played him ahead of Rahane but if the latter had to be captain I would have played Nair ahead of Pujara (who should have been allowed to continue working on his technique in England with Yorkshire.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I think Afghanistan will work on their first class Cricket, although the inability to have a domestic structure of
Matches in Afghanistan itself is a massive handicap.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:32 amI was surprised that Karun Nair didn’t get to play this test. I would have played him ahead of Rahane but if the latter had to be captain I would have played Nair ahead of Pujara (who should have been allowed to continue working on his technique in England with Yorkshire.
Is that dude from my place still in consideration for a test spot? I thought he was some flash in the pan and was never to be seen again. I *really* haven't followed cricket for a year or more, so I am asking...