Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by Sin Hombre »

Dhawan continues his terrific form, hopefully he can keep this up all the way to WC 19.

At current form, he is our best LOI player above Kohli.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Sanju Sampson, Dhawan, Dhoni, Mandeep, KL Rahul, S.A. Yadav, Rayudu have been the batsmen among runs. Interesting to see Mandeep doing fine. But, of course, this is over only 3 matches. Let's see what happens over the season.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Sampson, KL and Rana are the most impressive amongst potential regulars for the senior team.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The best spinners in T20s seem to be Afghans. Rashid Khan is the #1 T20I bowler, and the even younger Mujeeb ur Rahman won the match for KXIP with a good final over against DD.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

That was a big moment. Some other spinners have had a good IPL so far too.

Mayank Markande of Mumbai, ex India-19 player, 20-year old legbreak bowler, has got 8 wickets at 16 runs/wicket, 7.52 runs/over in 5 matches.

Krunal Pandya of Mumbai has got 6 wickets at 15.33 at 7.07 in 5 matches.

Rahul Tewatia of Delhi has got six wickets at 23.16 at 7.31 in 6 matches.

Kuldeep Yadav has got six wickets at 25.16 at 8.23 in 6 matches.

Mujeeb has got six wickets at 26.5 at 6.91 in 6 matches.

Of course, in this short season Mujeeb has been the most containing, but I may be tempted to take the striking ability of Krunal.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rayudu has clearly sent out a shout-out to the selectors with his excellent IPL season. He was dropped quite unfairly (in favour of Jadhav et al), but is sending a timely reminder of his presence via the IPL this year.
Siddharth Kaul is the other Indian bowler (apart from Markande, Umesh, Krunal, etc.) who has done well this year.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

This is turning out to be a fantastic IPL for all of our young LOI batting talent.

KL Rahul (268 @ 171 SR), Pant (375 @ 180 SR), Sampson (282 @ 145), Shaw (140 @ 167 in 4 matches), Gill (with a clincher today), even Iyer (307 @ 154) have all produced match winning performances.

Going back to hopeless players like Rahane, Pandey, Jadhav will cause a large fan backlash especially in T20Is. Even Rohit should have no place in our T20I team. I think Kohli/Shastri will get away with tired old selections in ODIs until the 2019 WC, which likely will be our undoing.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If we put a qualifying of 210 runs, the following are the top Indian bats at the IPL (avg/SR): MSD 82/170, VK 58/138, KDK 47/149, Rayudu 43/154, Pant 42/180, Sampson 40/145, Raina 39/136.

Interesting that these are all old faces. No new face has been consistent enough (evidenced by avg) and with a high SR. This is almost a wicket-keepers 11. Dhoni, Karthik, Pant, Sampson can keep and Rayudu is a part-timer. All of these folks should be getting chances in T20s if they can keep up their production. The rest need to be more consistent.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Missed Iyer, KL Rahul and Suryakumar Yadav there who are all ahead of Karthik, Sampson and Raina.

That said, run cuts are very misleading. Rahane has scored some runs but has been a complete disaster.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:57 am Missed Iyer, KL Rahul and Suryakumar Yadav there who are all ahead of Karthik, Sampson and Raina.

That said, run cuts are very misleading. Rahane has scored some runs but has been a complete disaster.
I will check. But, I use a qualifying run cut and then use average to sort top-k. If you have not scored 200 runs in 9 matches, then you are not really having a very good season or have not got enough chances and so picking you to be among the best is undeserved or premature. Iyer, Rahul, and Surya have averaged lower than Karthik, Sampson, and Raina, which means they have not been as consistent. Without the run cut, you would get some one innings flukes qualifying. Of course, any other objective method would be welcome. I find just basing things on SR or just on avg. is not good enough. In my listing, I have not filtered for SRs. If I do, perhaps Kohli and Raina can be filtered out because they are somewhat slow, but I think they are not that slow and anyway you need a few people in the XI who will be the backbone whereas the others can hit around them.

Of course, the numbers will change as the season goes. Let us see what happens at the end of the season.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Once you add a minimum runs cutoff, using averages is meaningless in T20s. If you are scoring 30+/match, you are being very consistent.

Shaw's 65 off 36 today will always be a superior innings to a 40 unbeaten off 30 which will undoubtedly improve the average.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:10 pm Once you add a minimum runs cutoff, using averages is meaningless in T20s.
No it is not. There is a difference between someone staying on and winning the match with a 60-80 run inning and someone scoring a short cameo of 30.
If you are scoring 30+/match, you are being very consistent.
Maybe. But, I am not just interested in consistent. I am interested in match-winners.
Shaw's 65 off 36 today will always be a superior innings to a 40 unbeaten off 30 which will undoubtedly improve the average.
I am fine with taking a combination of average and SR. Rarely would we see a 40 unbeaten off 30 unless it is in a chasing effort which would mean that the side won. In very rare cases, as has happened to Dhoni in the recent past, that could mean an inability to hit. When you take a bunch of scores over a number of matches, it seems that a product of avg. and SR would suffice. And, what I have seen is that avg. actually chooses a pretty good team much better than SR alone. So, being lazy, I choose avg. You are free to list a metric and the top-k by that metric. You are of course free to choose whoever you subjectively like and leave out Rayudu but that is your prerogative.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

On the bowling side, using 8 wickets as a cutoff, the ones with the lowest averages among Indians:

HH Pandya 18/9.12, Markande 19/7.92, Umesh 21/8.02, S Kaul 21/7.13, KH Pandya 21.5/7.16.

Hardik has been too expensive. I think Krunal and Kaul have bowled very well. Markande and Umesh have been okay.

Going by the economy rates:

Sandeep Sharma, Bumrah, Rajpoot and Bhuvi have done well followed by Harbhajan and Mishra.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

17 year old Mujeeb ur Rehman keeps outshining skipper Ashwin for KXIP. We should be quite worried about the test against Afghanistan, especially if we are going in with an India B side.

Meanwhile, Manoj Tiwary continues to be treated bizarrely. He is batting behind Axar Patel, despite being the best batsman in the Deodhar Trophy this year, and helping to take Pune to the IPL final last time (and just failing to win it all for them). In the one chance he has got, he batted low down the order and made 1, and bowled a bizarre over using a slingy action. Today is his second match, and he is slated to bat at #7!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

KL Rahul ensures that it is all irrelevant, with a brilliant 84* off 54 balls.