Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Santhosh Trophy.

Post by jayakris »

I searched... My fault. I was in a hurry and used an 'h" in the name, just like a Malayali would do, that's all :) Thanks jaydeep for fixing it.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Santosh Trophy.

Post by sameerph »

Kerala wins Santosh trophy beating West Bengal in the penalty shootout.

Santosh Trophy: Kerala emerges champion

It seems they last won it 14 years back. That was the this thread was started it seems. :D
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Santosh Trophy.

Post by jayakris »

Yay, yay, Kerala!! Sounds like this was an exciting final. I can't believe Kerala allowed a goal in the 120th minute after taking the lead in the 116th minute. Anyway, they got the job done in the end. Kerala has not been great in the finals, with a 5 and 9 record before (in fact they had lost 4 or 5 finals in a row once in the late 80s or so). Glad they won this. It's Good for Indian football for Kerala football to be alive and kicking, even if it is penalty kicking :)
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

jayakris wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:54 pm Yay, yay, Kerala!! Sounds like this was an exciting final. I can't believe Kerala allowed a goal in the 120th minute after taking the lead in the 116th minute. Anyway, they got the job done in the end. Kerala has not been great in the finals, with a 5 and 9 record before (in fact they had lost 4 or 5 finals in a row once in the late 80s or so). Glad they won this. It's Good for Indian football for Kerala football to be alive and kicking, even if it is penalty kicking :)
Though sad that Bengal lost and that too due to penalties, I agree Kerela football doing better is good for Indian football. But too many football tournaments happening at the same time. So messi!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

It was good that WB got the goal back in the last minute while playing one man down. But the same guy who scored the last minute goal missed a tie-breaker penalty. Life! If Kerala's football gets better because of this, great! But, I doubt that people really care :-(
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:08 pmIf Kerala's football gets better because of this, great! But, I doubt that people really care :-(
Oh, people do care in Kerala. Both Maayalamanorama.com and Mathrubhumi.com (the largest two newspapers in Kerala) had front page banners above the news items, celebrating. The Manorama says "santhOshathil ARADi kEraLam" (Keralam in a celebratory bath with happiness/santhosahm), and Mathrubhumi says "vanga NaaTTil vambODe kEraLam" (Keralam with pride in Vanga land).

Football is a bit more back in the limelight now, because of the Kochi IPL team, the world cup matches in Kochi, etc. Now the Santosh trophy can't hurt either.
suresh

Post by suresh »

jayakris wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:16 am
Football is a bit more back in the limelight now, because of the Kochi IPL team, the world cup matches in Kochi, etc. Now the Santosh trophy can't hurt either.
You mean ISL, right?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Santosh Trophy

Post by jayakris »

ISL, of course. No IPL there, thank God. No cricket, except for God SRT owning the football club in God's own country. In fact there is no cricket in that stadium as of now. The football fans won a big battle recently, getting on social media and forcing a cricket match to be moved from Jawahar Lal Nehru stadium (where FC Kochi plays) to preserve the FIFA standard football playing field, without a cricket pitch being made in middle again.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

And God batted against cricket!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Santosh Trophy, which was to be held from April 14 to 27th in Aizawl, Mizoram, is now postponed due to the Coronavirus problem.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Santosh Trophy finally got done after a 2 year break, in Malappuram, Kerala, today!

Karnataka-Kerala and WestBengal-Manipur were the semifinals. Today Kerala beat West bengal in penalty shoot out 5-4 (after 0-0 in 1-1 in extra time with KER equalizing with just a couple of minutes to go). So Kerala are the 7th-time winner after 15 finals. Bengal has been in some 45 finals or something, of course! Good to see that the natural order of things still remain in Indian football :)

I was impressed by a 22 year old guy that kerala has found lately, Jesin TK (who started playing only after he was 15 or something!)... In Kerala's 7-3 semifinal win against Karnmataka, this fellow scored 5 goals, coming in as a sub after the 35th minute (hat-trick in 15 minutes!). Superb speed and some great touch and footwork. He is really coming on. Kerala blasters has been trying to get him but the 3rd division team that he is on, won't give him up for any amount of money, it seems :)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

It used to be Punjab and Kerala who were the pesky troublesome teams. Maybe Punjab a tad better than Kerala :-) Is Punjab all gone to cricket? :-( And, for some time Services. Then, maybe Goa. So, the interesting team is Manipur. In line with the development of the sport in the northeast in the last 30 years or so.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Well, Punjab lost to Services in the previous edition 3 years ago, so they are still there.

Here it is, from 2000 (year, place, winner, score, loser)

1999–00 (Thrissur) Maharashtra 3–2 Kerala
2001–02 (Mumbai) Kerala 3–2 (a.s.d.e.t.) Goa
2002–03 (Imphal) Manipur 2–1 (a.s.d.e.t.) Kerala
2004–05 (Delhi) Kerala 3–2 Punjab
2005–06 (Kochi) Goa 3–1 (a.e.t.) Maharashtra
2006–07 (Gurgaon) Punjab 0–0 (a.e.t.) (5–3 p) West Bengal
2007–08 (Srinagar) Punjab 1–0 Services
2008–09 (Chennai) Goa 0–0 (a.e.t.) (4–2 p) West Bengal
2009–10 (Kolkata) West Bengal 2–1 Punjab
2010–11 (Assam) West Bengal 2–1 Manipur
2011–12 (Odisha) Services 3–2 Tamil Nadu
2012–13 (Kochi) Services 0–0 (a.e.t.) (4–3 p) Kerala
2013–14 (Siliguri) Mizoram 3–0 Railways
2014–15 (Ludhiana) Services 0–0 (5–4 p) Punjab
2015–16 (Nagpur) Services 2–1 Maharashtra
2016–17 (Goa) West Bengal 1–0 Goa
2017–18 (Kolkata) Kerala 2–2 (4–2 p) West Bengal
2018–19 (Ludhiana) Services 1–0 Punjab
2021–22 (Malappuram) Kerala 1–1 (5–4 p) West Bengal
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

By the way, I just realized that the place "Santosh," after whose Maharaja the trophy was named, is no longer in India!!! ... I thought it was somewhere in West Bengal, but it is apparently in Bangladesh.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The story of this 5-goal youngster, Jesin. Crazy. The dude was so bad in school that he couldn't get to any college, so basically stopped football. Somehow his luck opens up with the current coach of Kerala, Binu George. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spo ... 200915.cms

He was given the #10 jersey in the KER team (when he has not even played for his district), so the coach and the team definitely knew how good he is. too. But he was not a starter yet, as he is inexperienced. He came in as a sub in the SF and scored 5 in basically some 40 minutes. I saw the footage of the goals. The KAR goalie was unlucky a couple of times with deft timing by this guy to send it right through him, but a couple of other goals showed his top-notch speed and opportunistic scorer instincts. In today's final, he didn't score, but I noticed some of his footwork and touch that were excellent.

I will keep an eye on this guy and see if he becomes good enough for India colors. Would be great if he turns into a Vijayan or something.