General Cricket Thread ...

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: General Cricket Thread ...

Post by prasen9 »

The Aussies are never punished. Expect Bancroft to be given a mild fine and allowed to go scott-free. If the ICC's racist match referees treated white and black players similarly, then this sort of boorish behavior would have been tamped down sooner rather than later.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Pathetic cheating by the Aussies. I hope Bancroft and Smith get a 2-match ban, the minimum this sort of behaviour deserves.
Varma

Post by Varma »

I didn't pay attention to this till now. What the Aussies did was utterly disgusting. Smith should be banned for at least year for this. What are these guys even thinking? Unbelievable how easy they were let go. Every team that plays Aussies from now should sledge them non-stop. What a disgrace to the game!

- Varma
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

There is talk of both Smith & Warner being banned for a lengthy period by CA. This surprises me that they would respond by taking responsibility rather than just some sanctimonious bullshit, but hey it is a good thing. Apparently major decisions were supposed to be taken by a 5 person brains trust that included Lyons, Starc and someone else, but only Warner & Smith knew about this business.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am pleased to see that some members of the Aussie board and the Aussie PM, etc. have denounced their players. Sometimes our media and our board reflexively back up our players even if they are in the wrong. I am glad that some people in the Aussie establishment (not all) want to do the right thing.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

To be fair, our players have never been caught red-handed the way Bancroft (and hence Smith) was in this instance. Ball-tampering is open cheating.

The closest case for an Indian player was Azharuddin and the match-fixing saga, and nobody defended him or Jadeja at the time.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

PKBasu wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:41 am nobody defended him or Jadeja at the time.
Since it was a first ,the system of covering lies and a lobbies to defend the indefinsible was not fully developed.

The fact that Azhar is rehabilated is a testament to the cover up lobby being fully mature ,and hence you see guys like Pandurang Salgaokar getting away lightly.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I agree with PKB that none of our players were caught like these have. And, the BCCI has fought Sreesanth's ban from being lifted. Anyway, I did not like the Bancroft guy because I thought Renshaw batted very well in India and deserved at least one more chance. Burns did not do very well in the chances he got but if Australia has nobody better, then he should have been the backup. And, I liked Handscomb too because he played very well in India too but then got dropped for a sub-standard Shaun Marsh. I also do not want South Africa to get too many points and threaten us. So, if Australia pulls out a draw or something like that, I will be glad.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Steve Smith and David Warner banned for 1 year and Bancroft for 9 months. It does look like a steep fine foe something which may have been done by others in the past too. Probably pressure on the Australian cricket board to save their image acted.

It does look like they will miss our tour to Australia in November and our chances of getting a series win down under increase. :D
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:42 pm And, the BCCI has fought Sreesanth's ban from being lifted.
Note - I am biased as I was a Sreesanth fan :(. I think he would have been a better fit in a Kohli led team than a chap like Dhoni who expects players to behave on the field.

Regd BCCI fighting Sreesanth's ban, i find it ironic in the larger scheme of things. The officials fighting against Sree's case would have done so much corruption (generalization based on overall impression of Administrators being corrupt), are trying to push a bowler who did well for india but did lower level corruption offence in a corporate match.

Ofcourse Sree being Sree is a peculiar person but it was fun watching him play never the less!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Administration corruption is where people generally steal money. Or come into power using money. But, player corruption makes the duel on the field farcial. If one player is trying to lose (even for a ball or an over) and the other is trying to win, there is no contest. Any player who takes money and does not compete even for one ball should get a ban for at least multiple years. Sreesanth's ban is deserved. The question I have is what Dhoni did. I do not think he took money and tanked. But, I think he possibly took money and pushed some players through his agency while serving as a selector or having some selectorial input.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:26 pm Administration corruption is where people generally steal money. Or come into power using money. But, player corruption makes the duel on the field farcial. If one player is trying to lose (even for a ball or an over) and the other is trying to win, there is no contest. Any player who takes money and does not compete even for one ball should get a ban for at least multiple years. Sreesanth's ban is deserved. The question I have is what Dhoni did. I do not think he took money and tanked. But, I think he possibly took money and pushed some players through his agency while serving as a selector or having some selectorial input.
Administrative Corruption / Favouritism has a much greater impact. It impacts players careers / sometimes impacts the cricketing future of an entire region. Spot fixing just impacts a few balls or max an inconsequential IPL match between two corporate companies. Its a bit like demonetization - big fish who stay in the background go scot-free while the petty crime folks get caught.

Anyway its a bit off-topic and the topic more relevant is the Aussie one! :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Administrative corruption has more of an impact of people's lives: true. In the long run, it may affect the quality of a team more: true!

But, when I am watching a match, irrespective of the quality of the players, I want whoever is on the field to be giving their best. Otherwise, it does not become sport, it becomes a pre-scripted movie.

What I am saying is that I know I cannot expect the whole system to be fair and perfect. I am trying to carve out a small box. One match/game. Within that match, given the players on the field, I want the system to at least be fair. If you allow spot-fixing, then it corrupts even that small box.

As a scientist/mathematician (sort-of), I want at least a perfect to answer to a conditional question. Given the imperfect world, on this day and time and field of play, with these rules, who can win.

So I am not arguing that administrative corruption is fine. That belongs to Jay's portfolio.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Agree, makes sense :-)
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Nice talk by Javagal Srinath at Google HQ on his career and attempts with bringing Technology into Cricket as a Cricketer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzxXbxZBuZ4