Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by sameerph »

Last week after many years 2 qualifiers won ATP titles in the same week, both being ranked outside 100 coming into the tournament. 26 year old Mirza Basic won the Sofia title while 24 year old Roberto Carlos Baena won the Quito title. Both have now made good gains to be well inside top 80.

This is the kind of stuff which should inspire Yuki/RamK. One big run can suddenly change the career path. RamK had beat Baena comfortably in first round of Pune ATP last month.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Interesting Development in Olympic Games Tennis Qualification:

http://www.rio.itftennis.com/olympics/n ... tokyo-2020
For the first time in Olympic history, players will have a chance to earn their place in the Olympic Tennis Event through success at one of the regional multi-sport games, including the 2018 Asian Games and 2019 African and Pan American Games. In addition, one place will be awarded to the highest ranked man and woman in both Europe and Oceania from a country not yet represented in singles.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I don't like quotas. I would rather have the top-k ranked players be invited for the Olympic singles. No wild-card, no host-country. This is going to reward inferior players while keeping out more deserving ones from becoming an Olympian and having a shot at the Olympics tennis gold :-( Unfortunate.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Well it's based on merit and not a quota as such. You still have to win the tournament to be able to get in. For us it will make the team selections for the Asian games even more political than usual.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

This is OK as the Olympics is generally based on countries competing (i.e., each qualifier has to be nominated by his country) and is different than normal professional competitions which are simply individuals competing. As long as the best are there, it's fine to diversify the entries at the lower level rather than have, hypothetically, 16 Chinese women in the women's badminton or table-tennis competition.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

S_K_S wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:13 pm Well it's based on merit and not a quota as such. You still have to win the tournament to be able to get in. For us it will make the team selections for the Asian games even more political than usual.
It is a quota to a continent. If we believe that the ranking function is a better metric with respect to representing who is a better player, this scheme has the potential of choosing an inferior player over a more deserving superior player who will not get a chance to win an Olympic medal.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

arjun2761 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:55 pm This is OK as the Olympics is generally based on countries competing (i.e., each qualifier has to be nominated by his country) and is different than normal professional competitions which are simply individuals competing. As long as the best are there, it's fine to diversify the entries at the lower level rather than have, hypothetically, 16 Chinese women in the women's badminton or table-tennis competition.
Whether this is okay or not depends upon your value system. It is not okay to me. Whether the Olympics is based on something or not is irrelevant with respect to what we think is fair and what is not. The Olympics generally offers more medals to men than to women. Do we support this continuing?

"As long as the best are there" - the only way to determine that the globally best are there is to have the best qualifying standards that are not restricted by country/continent, one specific qualifying event, etc. I do not think it is fine to diversify the entries by bringing in inferior players. Hypothetically, I would be thrilled to watch 16 Chinese women in women's badminton or table-tennis provided the metric we use to select them is accurate. The competitive quality of the event will be better.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

It is good intention of ITF to make these make these regional games competitive. But, the dates for the Asian games tennis event this year clashes with US open. Asian games tennis runs from 19th to 29th August while US open starts from 27th August. So, it will be a dilemma for the Asian players as to what to choose. I hope they reschedule it to end before US open. But, still it will be an issue for those playing US open qualies, as mostly our top players will do.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There you go! :-( I am of the view (perhaps a minority here) that the simplest systems are the best.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Federer back as world #1 in the live rankings. He had a hiccup against Haase, dropping the first set tiebreaker, but then romped through 61 61.
What an amazing story his comeback has been over the past 13 months!!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

The last time, he was WR #1 in Oct. 2012 ... :notworthy:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

News about major changes planned for davis cup which will be held in 1 week towards the end of the year-

ITF announces plans for transformation of Davis Cup
Under the plans, the World Cup of Tennis Finals will be played over seven days in November in the traditional week of the Davis Cup Final. The Finals will feature a round-robin format followed by a quarterfinal knockout stage. Each tie will consist of two singles and one doubles over best-of-three sets. The 16 World Group nations will automatically qualify for the Finals, and a further two nations will be selected.

There will also be a play-off round held during the Finals which will include the eight nations that qualify from the Zone Group I events. The eight play-off winners will earn a place in the following year’s Finals.

Read more at http://www.itftennis.com/news/281842.as ... trSxICQ.99
I think this will take away the essence of davis cup , i.e home and away matches.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

It will be the death of the Davis Cup. Top players will avoid it even more than now because the World Tour Finals and even the Next Gen will take priority over this.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I agree this is absolutely asinine. Why bother with the Davis Cup if they ruin it in this manner? The Davis Cup had real character and spice. Accommodating the big pros is not worth this sort of horrendous change.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Billie Jean King says men should not play five sets at Grand Slams - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43337914

I try not to get angry at news these days, because there is plenty to get angry about, but I did read the above piece and get really annoyed. In terms of stupid suggestions this is right up there with the worst ones. Nothing against the work that she does for the equality movement and improving women's tennis but to reduce the slams to best of 3 would be to deny future tennis fans the classic matches that we have experienced over the past decades. As it is now, we don't have 5 sets outside of the slams so I don't see what the problem is. Players are getting injured because of the number of tournaments they play, not because of an extra 2 sets in a slam. Personally, I think the 1000 finals should be best of 5 but that will never happen. The bottom line is that the men's game is a superior product to the women's so all this would do would be to bring the men's game down to their level.