Australian Open 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Australian Open 2018

Post by PKBasu »

VReddy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:22 am
knarayen wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 am Agree this is a very good phase though not the best in MY lifetime. :D
Well if it includes the likes of Vijay / Ramesh / Anand and others. Unfortunately, some of us can only dream of it :-~ . Well staying in the present, atleast there is much more for me to look forward to in this year's French or Wimbledon early stages! :)
Prof (knarayen) played against the likes of Chiradeep Mukerjea, and caught the fag end of Premjit Lall and Jaidip Mukerjea’s careers. His brother once beat Ramesh Krishnan.
In our day, we had as many as 5 Indians in the singles main draw at Wimbledon in 1973. And even in the 1980s, we often had 3-4 Indians (Vijay, Anand, Ramesh, Sashi) playing in a Slam main draw, plus some like Bhanu Nunna or S Vadudevan playing qualifiers.

But, yes, this is the first time in about 5 years that we have two Indians in the final round of qualifying at a Slam; if they both make it in, I think it’ll be the first time we have two Indians in the main draw of a Slam since Leander and Mahesh both played singles (and MB agave a tough fight to Moya) at Wimbledon.
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

sameerph wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:24 pm Ok, thanks. That is too early. :-~ Hope rain pushes it back a couple of hours.
Too early??? Where is your commitment? 😜
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:39 pm
VReddy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:22 am
knarayen wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 am Agree this is a very good phase though not the best in MY lifetime. :D
Well if it includes the likes of Vijay / Ramesh / Anand and others. Unfortunately, some of us can only dream of it :-~ . Well staying in the present, atleast there is much more for me to look forward to in this year's French or Wimbledon early stages! :)
Prof (knarayen) played against the likes of Chiradeep Mukerjea, and caught the fag end of Premjit Lall and Jaidip Mukerjea’s careers. His brother once beat Ramesh Krishnan.
In our day, we had as many as 5 Indians in the singles main draw at Wimbledon in 1973. And even in the 1980s, we often had 3-4 Indians (Vijay, Anand, Ramesh, Sashi) playing in a Slam main draw, plus some like Bhanu Nunna or S Vadudevan playing qualifiers.

But, yes, this is the first time in about 5 years that we have two Indians in the final round of qualifying at a Slam; if they both make it in, I think it’ll be the first time we have two Indians in the main draw of a Slam since Leander and Mahesh both played singles (and MB agave a tough fight to Moya) at Wimbledon.
Thank you for such nice anecdotes again, PKB. I knew a bit about Prof's exploits having been on this forum for so long but learnt something new again!

Also thank you for the note about Bhupathi's run at Wimbledon - so interesting to hear. Bumped into this profile page based on your note - didn't know he was in the MD of Wimbledon 3 times!: https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/ ... ac/MS.html. I wish we had clippings of matches like those (vs Moya).

I only really followed tennis closely from the 1999/2000 after having moved from a village to Hyd and gained access to Internet / TV (Dish network). Before that, it was via access to Sportsstar probably 3 times a year and whatever a telugu daily called Eenadu or DD used to report. Hope someone uploads these classics to YouTube. Thanks again!
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

sameerph wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:02 pmThe schedule on the website is confusing and does not show Yuki's match.
This AO is pretty much the worst website for a GS in years. Ugly, hard to read & hard to navigate.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes even after the 70s and 80s, the likes of LP, Somdev, and Yuki have played several GS main draw matches often as direct entries. That still trumps making the final round of the qualies. However, if they both qualify into the main draw that will be new high in at least 20+ years....
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe the problem is that you have lived too long :p Sorry, just saying that tongue in cheek. I don't mean it. Bad humour.

Okay, it's time that our top two go long!
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Yuki's match just started. He looks gingerly in his movement.

1-0 YB to serve. Held easily.
1-1 Had a BP on the Polansky serve, but couldn't convert.
1-2 Got broken after making a stew of bad UFE's
1-3 Yuki looks so uninterested today
1-4 Horrendous from Yuki. Recovered from 0-40 down only to get broken. What is happening!
1-5 Something seems unusually wrong with Yuki. He seems to be slicing balls he would normally get to quite comfortably and hit
1-6 Broken at 0. Something is wrong for sure. Meek surrender.
Last edited by vatsal323 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

Did the hard part of building the point only to make couple of poor UFE...broken to trail 1-2
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

arjun2761 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:09 pm
Yes even after the 70s and 80s, the likes of LP, Somdev, and Yuki have played several GS main draw matches often as direct entries. That still trumps making the final round of the qualies. However, if they both qualify into the main draw that will be new high in at least 20+ years....
I meant more from the depth of the talent that we have these days. Ram / Yuki / Sumit are all high-end quali players (not just making up the numbers). Prajnesh / Saki will continue to be solid Challenger players for couple of years who will hopefully continue to be in the quali draw. We have 3 doubles pairs in the main draw and I would expect 1 more pair (either jeev or bala/vish) to make it to the GS MD by end of year.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Not a good start for Yuki. Match began with an easy hold and an opportunity to break Polansky but it's 1-3 Yuki on serve now. :damn:
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

Down double break in the first set now...1-4
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Polanski up 4-1.
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

Wow , it all went downhill after the first game ..1-6...hope he picks up his level else this might get over pretty soon..
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Polansky wins the first 6-1 breaking Yuki to love. Can Yuki wake up and turn the tables? :-(
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Starts the second set with a hold. Doesn’t seem to be sick for sure. Come on, Yuki!!