Indians in US College Tennis

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Abish arul
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indians in US College Tennis

Post by Abish arul » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:49 am

looks like manish sureshkumar is not with TNTA or karti seen a video of him looking for US college as well as nitinkumar sinha and BR nikshep

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:13 am

I had asked Karti on twitter and he said TNTA is supporting Manish Sureshkumar as well as Dakhineshwar Suresh.

On the other hand, going to college won't be such a bad idea unless he is top 10 ITF junior type player already. It would make even more sense for Nitin to do so. He seems obviously talented but lacks support to play tournaments abroad or train there.

Abish arul

Post by Abish arul » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:06 am

oh thanks for the info hopefully they will end up with some good universities

knarayen

Post by knarayen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Thanks Ram for your insights as a tennis parent. I have had a lot of interactions with my friend Kumar (here in Plano, TX) as he was preparing his son on his tennis journey. Pranav Kumar made it into the Texas A&M lineup (http://www.12thman.com/roster.aspx?path=mten) and his game has improved significantly this past year. Pranav is likely to get into some of the Futures events, probably starting next year and he has just turned 17 and had done well at the Texas Grand Slam level. He also made it to the 4th round at the Zoo losing to S. Riffice the eventual winner.

I'm following Pranav over the course of the year - he is red-shirted the first year and his academic load has been balanced out so he doesnt get crushed by it and his tennis game can also develop over the coming year.

I'm also coaching Kumar informally - maybe I can start a coaching program for tennis parents!

Prof

VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by VReddy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Not sure of the right thread to post in. An interview of Arjun Kadhe in HT earlier in the week: http://www.hindustantimes.com/pune-news ... 8IwbN.html

bujilover

Post by bujilover » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:29 pm

Remember, we had an Indian parent (Ram?!), father of Arjun (won a G5 event in Srilanka in 2014) querying about US College Tennis awhile ago. Looks like Arjun is pursuing his college tennis at Morgan State now. Here is the link. Interestingly, there are 2 more Indians on the roster.

Ram

Post by Ram » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:01 am

bujilover wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:29 pm
Remember, we had an Indian parent (Ram?!), father of Arjun (won a G5 event in Srilanka in 2014) querying about US College Tennis awhile ago. Looks like Arjun is pursuing his college tennis at Morgan State now. Here is the link. Interestingly, there are 2 more Indians on the roster.
Hi, I'm very much here enjoying the insightful posts by the knowledgeable tennis fans :-)

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Good to see you around, Ram. All the best to Jun. (Thanks bujilover for alerting us. I was actually wondering sometime ago about it!)

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:51 pm

It looks Akanksha Bhan has signed up to play for Colombia university. This is an article from their website-

TENNIS SIGNEE AKANKSHA BHAN COMPETES AT AUSTRALIAN OPEN JRS

It is the same place where Kanika Vaidya went for 4 years. I saw Akanksha at the Australian open juniors and her game looked pretty good but not big and consistent enough to immediately succeed in pros. So, 3-4 years in college may get her ready to get into pros by 20-21.

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:53 am

Columbia is not a great place for a future pro to go, because it is a serious academic university that doesn't provide sports scholarships (and generally pays much less attention to sports). I don't think Kanika gained a whole lot (tennis-wise) from going there, although she picked up a good degree -- and is slowly getting back onto the tour more than a year after leaving college. In fact, it took her more than a year to go above her pre-college WTA ranking.