$125K WTA Mumbai Open, Nov. 20-26, 2017

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: $125K WTA Mumbai Open, Nov. 20-26, 2017

Post by sameerph »

Ankita holds after saving a breakpoint at 30-40.
She breaks Hesse at love for 2-0. Hesse did not get any first serves in and Ankita won a couple of good long rallies.
fabshab

Post by fabshab »

Breaks at love 2*-0
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Ankita gets broken back at love for 2-1.

Hesse holds at 15 for 2-2.
Ankita broken at 15 for 2-3.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Ankita making too many errors. Broken again after a hard return winner made it 15-40... 2-3 down now.
She made it 40-0 to deuce but couldn't force a BP. 2-4 and serving. Down 0-30 but then played very well with 2 strong FHs, a service winner, and then a screaming backhand winner to win the game. Saved a BP there too. 3-4 and facing serve.
AR took her to 6 deuces but couldn't force a BP (won a 14 shot and a 12 shot rally, both with strong FHDL passing shots). Serving at 3-5 to stay alive.
Not getting a single home call, on what looked like a couple of close line shots from AH, or a first serve. Where is the homefield advantage? Down 0-40. Saves one but falls at the second set point. She was unlucky in the last twi games with a couple of unlucky net-chords too.

36 00, second set starting. This match can still turn with a couple of fewer mistakes from AR and a couple more from AH, any time. Generally AH is playing better though.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Lost first set 3-6
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

36 00 .. AR was about to get 15-40 BPs but the chair overruled a line call and made it 15-30 replay point. A mistake from AH and a strng FH from AH... Holds. AR serving at 0-1. A strong game from her in cluding a 2nd serve service winner. 1-1 ... She gets a 15-40 BP helped by a DF from AH. Ankita wins a 10 shot rally with a screamer FH winner. Up a break ad serving at 36 21... Again Ankita losing concentration with 2 or 3 mishits and poor serves. Broken back. 36 22 even.

Whoa, some pretty tough fight here after AR went up to 15-40 BPs. Several deuces later, she broke AH at the 4th break chance. AR at 36 32 and serving. Now AR facing BPs. Saves one in another long rally, but messes up a run-up forehand. 36 33 even. Wow, beautiful shot-making from Ankita in two rallies of 14 shots each, especially at the 30-40 BP. Breaks yet again. 36 43 and serving. Can she keep it up? No, she can't. THREE mistakes from her, from winning positions. She can't focus when she is serving. It is crazy. 36 44...

So noisy out there. Are the courts in the middle of some crazy market or something. Some crazy crappy music or group singing starts off from somewhere. Anyway, this time AR making mistakes during a return game too. 36 45 and serving to stay in the match. Ankita gets her concentration back. Good game there. 36 55 and facing serve. Some blistering shots from AR and a 15 shot rally goes her way, as almost all long rallies do. Deuce but a big serve helps AH to hold. 36 56 and serving to send it to a TB. A good service game at 15 from her. 36 66

TB: 01.. 21.. 23.. 33 drops a mini... 34, 35, gets a mini back.. 45 and serving... forehand goes long in a rally. 4-6 MP... went for too much and gave it away. Lost 36 67(4)

Ah, Ankita could have beaten her. Just needed to keep her focus and stop mistakes in shots, most of which were totally unforced.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm

So noisy out there. Are the courts in the middle of some crazy market or something. Some crazy crappy music or group singing starts off from somewhere.
Haha. Some residential buildings are very close to the courts and someone decided to start group singing there it seems. :D It must be so hard for players to concentrate.

Otherwise it was decent crowd support for Ankita. Sadly she could not turn it around as I thought she would do in the second set.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

So sad but a decent fight and a great performance overall. I hope she wins one of the $25Ks next month.
naryy

Post by naryy »

I am volunteering at the Mumbai Open. My work was done before ankita's match started. So, I watched. Absolutely gutted. Could have been a lot more interesting had she won the 2nd. And she had umpteen number of chances to take control of the set but couldn't consolidate the 3 breaks she got. I have to say Ankita is a terrific retriever. She was returning really well. Motivated by a potential clash with sabalenka and the 80-100 people at the venue, ankita went toe to toe with her french compatriot,who one could say, is the better shotmaker of the two. There were some questionable calls by the linesman . But, nevertheless, she should have closed the set. Poor shot selection In many situations cost her.. In the tie breaker too, she had a look in on Amandine Hesse's serve when at 4-4 i think Hesse dropped a ball short. Ankita came to it and tried a underwhelming drop shot that hit the net instead of hitting in the corners. But, an encouraging display nonetheless. She should be motivated by it instead of being gutted . Post match too, she didn't seem that upset which would mean she might take it in her stride and push harder the next tournament.

P.S: sorry for the lack if punctuations here. I am really tired. :P
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Sad that Ankita didn’t grab her chances in the QF. If line calls went against her, that would be the ultimate irony for a home tournament.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 pmSad that Ankita didn’t grab her chances in the QF. If line calls went against her, that would be the ultimate irony for a home tournament.
I thought at least 5 calls went against her, and maybe more (and I hardly remember any against Hesse). I wasn't sure, because Ankita did not seem to protest much. Then, later at one time, where she actually won the point, she seemed to complain - probably that she should have won the point sooner. I couldn't hear what she was muttering, so I'm not sure. Yeah, I don't think I saw any home court calls for her.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

jayakris wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm
So noisy out there. Are the courts in the middle of some crazy market or something. Some crazy crappy music or group singing starts off from somewhere.
The courts are in the middle of a residential area, and construction work was underway on the road next to the venue. The noise you heard came from the construction site. And the crappy music was from a terrace party happening at an adjacent building.

I was at the venue yesterday. I was excited about seeing former US Open semifinalist Yanina Wickmayer play just a few feet away, but sadly she was a shadow of her former self, spraying shots long.

Sabalenka's game impressed me the most. She is so refreshingly different from the baseline huggers and relishes any opportunity to charge onto the court and smack her shots.

I watched Anikta practicing with her trainer and thought she stood a fair chance of winning, but I guess her serve let her down (apart from the questionable line calls).

I would have loved to meet the other Sports India members who may have attended. But I don't think I'll be going today.

Are the matches being streamed online?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Daniel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:11 amAre the matches being streamed online?
Yes. I had to subscribe to WTA TV for $9.99 for a month, just to see this one match, though. Not sure if there were some illegal streams available, but I had no time to look for it as the match was starting.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: $115K WTA Mumbai Open, Nov. 20-26, 2017

Post by sameerph »

sameerph wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:46 pm I watched few games of this match live at CCI. By the time I reached, Karman was already a set down and a break down 2-3 in the second set. She won the next 2 games to go up 4-3 and a fight looked on cards. But, disappointingly Jakupovic won the next 3 games to seal the match.

Karman did not look as good today as I saw on the stream in a China ITF few months back. It does look like the courts are a lot slower than usual hard courts and that seems to have affected our players who like playing on faster courts. Karman's big forehands simply did not work here. Her backhand is relatively weak and she need to improve on that front to succeed at this level. She did serve an ace at 4-4 game to go up 30-0. But, that point on it was all down hill for her losing 8 straight points. It was probably an off day for Karman and Jakupovic was playing really well and returning everything that Karman was putting on her side.

[R1] (WC) Karman Kaur Thandi (IND,312) l. Dalila Jakupovic (SLO,242) 26 46
Jakupovic has gone on to reach the final here against Sabalenka. Now I do not feel as bad about Karman's loss in first round.
Daniel

Re: $115K WTA Mumbai Open, Nov. 20-26, 2017

Post by Daniel »

sameerph wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:48 am
sameerph wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:46 pm I watched few games of this match live at CCI. By the time I reached, Karman was already a set down and a break down 2-3 in the second set. She won the next 2 games to go up 4-3 and a fight looked on cards. But, disappointingly Jakupovic won the next 3 games to seal the match.

Karman did not look as good today as I saw on the stream in a China ITF few months back. It does look like the courts are a lot slower than usual hard courts and that seems to have affected our players who like playing on faster courts. Karman's big forehands simply did not work here. Her backhand is relatively weak and she need to improve on that front to succeed at this level. She did serve an ace at 4-4 game to go up 30-0. But, that point on it was all down hill for her losing 8 straight points. It was probably an off day for Karman and Jakupovic was playing really well and returning everything that Karman was putting on her side.

[R1] (WC) Karman Kaur Thandi (IND,312) l. Dalila Jakupovic (SLO,242) 26 46
Jakupovic has gone on to reach the final here against Sabalenka. Now I do not feel as bad about Karman's loss in first round.
My thoughts exactly.