ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by PKBasu »

Utter idiocy from Andrey Rublev. It isn't as if he lost just the final to Hyeon Chung, the latter won their round-robin match quite handily.

I think we may have a new star in the making.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I don't know what else he said, but, in the part quoted above, which sentence(s) of Rublev's do you not agree to? I think he is just saying that Chung is exceptionally strong mentally and almost always pulls out close matches. He says it as a complement. Rublev gets "emotional" (I'd say nervous) and loses it. Seems right to me. Notice that he never says that Chung is a bad player or worse than him, etc. He was indeed dominating in the beginning. Maybe you are reading into this a bit more than what he said.
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

That's a really good summary of what happened in the match. He played lights out tennis for a set and a half and then had a game where he didn't get a 1st serve in and got broken and from them on his negative emotion took over.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

I have zero problems with Rublev's comments. He's lamenting his own lack of mental strength & complementing his opponent's strength in that area. Seems completely reasonable.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

When you lose, you should have the grace to acknowledge that your opponent beat you with superior play.

Hyeon Chung also thrashed Rublev in the round-robin stage, so Rublev's comments about playing better than his opponent, dictating the match, etc. are rather self-serving -- and seem to presume that he would have won the match because he is a better player. When you lose, the least you can do is congratulate your opponent for beating you fair and square -- rather than saying the opponent won because you had an emotional meltdown.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

But in this case, it was a fact. If he had played like he was playing in the first part of the match, he would have won. He did say that he was lacking mentally and his foot speed. He sort of implied his shotmaking was better in the first part of the match, which it was. The guy is not PC, that is certain. He was just being honest and speaking mind. Yes, maybe he should have been PC. He is a young kid. He will learn to say what people want to hear.

I don't know what happened in the group match. If Chung was making the better shots and won, then there is some argument about the truth of Rublev's statements. If Chung won using his retrieval skills and mental strength, then it falls into the same pattern.

Rublev never said he was the better player and should have won. He told what was wrong and what he should do to win these matches. I think his assessment was correct. Whether he should have said these things or served up some platitudes is another matter. Maybe I have a soft corner for straight talkers.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

When you lose twice to the same guy, you should at least acknowledge that that guy was the better player during this tournament and deserves congratulations — rather than dwelling only on how well you yourself were playing, dominating, etc at an early stage of the match.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Goffin beats Nadal at the ATP tour finals. Can Rafa come back by beating Thiem and Dimitrov? He has much the easier pool but Goffin was the weakest in that pool.
Varma

Post by Varma »

I think Federer's pool is much more easier compared to Nadal's. In my opinion, Cilic (in his current form) and Sock definitely belong a rung lower to the trio of Dimitrov-Thiem-Goffin. Besides, Nadal doesn't seem to be 100% fit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him withdraw from the tournament if he loses the next one. Federer and Zverev's match tomorrow is a mouth-watering contest. It has every chance to become a rehearsal of this tournament's final.

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Not to belabor the point beyond what I have already done, Rublev was asked specifically about his domination at the beginning and falling apart mentally and said what he said. At least that is what I read. Also, Chung said the same thing that his mental strength made him win. And, that he had hired a mental conditioning coach and that has helped his game too. So, they pretty much said the same thing and that was the truth. I am not arguing the fact that our sense of political correctness and graciousness requires sportsmen to give credit to their opponents when they lose. Rublev gave him credit for the aspect of Chung's game that both of them said caused him to win.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Varma wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 am Besides, Nadal doesn't seem to be 100% fit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him withdraw from the tournament if he loses the next one.
Rafa pulled out of the ATP Finals on Monday, admitting he had lost his fitness battle.
"No, I am off," said Nadal. "My season is finished. Yeah, I had the commitment with the event, with the city, with myself. I tried hard. I did the thing that I had to do to try to be ready to play. But I am really not ready to play."
"Is about the pain," he added. "I cannot hold with enough power to keep playing. I tried, but seriously it was a miracle to be very close in the score during the match. It really doesn't make sense."
Nadal said he would work hard to be ready for the start of the next season.
"I know what I have to do," he said. "I know all the things that happened in the past when I had these things, and I know the treatment that I had to do. I know the periods of time that I need to work. Then if the treatment works or not, we will see."
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Will his replacement be allowed to progress if he wins the next two matches?

Nadal should learn from Federer and play an even shorter schedule with more rest in between. Although he played only one more tournament than Federer, his style is more punishing on the body than Fed's. I think he played too many on clay before the French. This was always on the cards.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

He was already struggling in Shanghai and then went and played a match at Paris Bercy to confirm YE#1 before withdrawing. There was no need to play at the WTF at all.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Carreno-Busta has already lost one match, so there's no chance of him going through. Usually, the extra player is simply brought in to satisfy the spectators.
Dimitrov is already through to the SF from this group, and the winner of the Thiem-Goffin match will be the other semifinalist. The result of the Dimitrov-CarrenoBusta match will be academic (except to determine who finishes first rather than second in the group).
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

I think Dimitrov wins this group as he defeated Thiem and Goffin ... So winner between these two will be the second qualifier from Sampras group.