General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: U-17 2017 World Cup in India

Post by jaydeep »

Jay, in India, SONY TEN 2, SONY TEN 2 HD, SONY ESPN, SONY ESPN HD will show the matches in English commentary while SONY TEN 3 and SONY TEN 3 HD will broadcast the games in Hindi and Bengali commentary ... All the matches will also be live on free-to-air DD Sports channel ... Also, the FIFA U-17 World Cup can be live streamed on SonyLiv app.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

jaydeep wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:42 pmAlso, the FIFA U-17 World Cup can be live streamed on SonyLiv app.
Only on a mobile app, or has anybody tried their web site on a computer? I cannot find any sign of FIFA u17 on their website!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:38 pm Only on a mobile app, or has anybody tried their web site on a computer? I cannot find any sign of FIFA u17 on their website!
Not sure about their website but through the app, you can watch it on mobile or tab.

On their site, I think they update highlights, etc.

http://www.sonyliv.com/details/show/548 ... India-2017
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Well, that link says, "The content you are trying to watch is not available in your geography." So, that may be it. Not available here in the U.S.

Damnit, how long is the world going to take, to figure out a way to make TV programs available on the internet around the world. These TV media executives are idiots. There is so much money to be made and they can't get it done. I am sitting here willing to pay even a $50 to watch this match, and nobody wants it. It is not just a problem with India. It's everywhere. Nobody can ever be sure if any event is ever available for streaming, and none of the sites will ever properly show what is available, and where. The illegal websites stream everything, and make so much money from it, and these TV/media executives sit on their posteriors, making their individual licenses for paltry money and keeping literally millions of people away from watching what they want to watch and would pay for. Dramas, movies, news, everything. Oh well...

I will look at all the illegal sites and see if the game is on anywhere.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

You can try to go via a site to get an India IP address, but, I do not know how slow that would make things and whether you can still see the video reasonably well.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

It's normally easier to use streaming sites. vipbox.nu is listing it for now. We will see if it will be there.

EDIT: Yay! They will be showing India-Columbia on live cable in the US. On NBC Universo in about an hour.

Meanwhile, USA just beat Ghana 1-0 to take the lead at the top of the table. They should have won 2-0, but Akinola missed a sitter at the end. His goal earlier was good. Can we pull a miracle on Columbia, who lost to Ghana earlier 1-0?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Not able to watch, but 0-0 35 minutes in. Says India have 31% possession.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Unable to watch but it's goalless at half time, with India having possession just 28% of the time. So we're hanging in there with a defensive game.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

0-0 at the half time. We are playing them pretty even. Don't look at the time possession. That is because we let them pass on their side for long periods. They keep the ball more, and pass around a lot but we stay solid at our back end and we keep making some runs (a lot of runs into their side actually). We aren't trying to pass much, which is probably the right strategy. Columbia isn't as disciplined as USA and we are never too bad at the undisciplined game. Lots of body checks, back-and-forth headers that go nowhere, and all that crap too.

But we missed two sitters already. Sircar had a chance but he hit at the goalie 10 ft in front of the goal from the right side (he could have tapped it in, possibly). Then at the 43rd minute, KP Rahul was totally free and unmarked on the left side, 15 ft in front with only the goalie in front and he hit the ball on the bar (he could have tried about 10 different things and picked the worst, though he almost made it).

Columbia has had 4 chances but none as clear as ours, because we always fall back well and have numbers inside our box. And Dheeraj was really good in making no mistakes on two hard shots that he dove and punched out (a header that only a goalie with incredible reflexes would punch out, and another one from just outside the box on the right that curved in at top speed and would fool most goalies).

This game can go either way now, if it goes like this. Come on India!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Columbia goal in the 48th minute. Tremendous shot from the top of the box that Dheeraj couldn't have done anything on; it simply beat his dive. This was the first time they actually had a counter on us and we din't have numbers at the back, after one of our runs. 0-1
Tolamu

Post by Tolamu »

jayakris wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:43 pm I think the Blasters' hype in Kochi will really help motivate some Kerala kids to take to the game, like they used to, before Kapil Dev's catch of Richards in 1983.....

We need small kids (8 to 12 years age) in Kerala, Punjab and Bengal to play a lot more. I have not been a subscriber of the idea of building a national team by just focusing on the Northeast. It has been helpful but has clearly shown its limitations too. The good news is probably something Sameer mentioned a while ago, that city kids like say in Mumbai, seem to be lot more aware of world sports these days (from watching EPL all the time on cable TV) and are not into just cricket like they used to be. That is probably a phenomenon in the last decade or so. It is so much easier for some youth leagues to develop across school grounds in cities/towns rather than in villages. We may actually start seeing city kids come through in the next decade or so, in which case we don't need to hope for just Punjab, Kerala, Bengal and Manipur/Mizoram/HP as the catchment areas. In any case, I am more hopeful of where we could be in 10-15 years than I was even 3 or 4 years ago.
The boys in the area you mentioned are already committed to gulley cricket. Like it or not you have to depend on the North - East. May be you meant well, but it sounds racial. Sorry if I'm wrong. It might be noted that my state alone produced 8 / 21 of the team.(despite they are out of the international standard, but the best in this cricket crazy nation.)

By the way, Jeakson Thounaojam equalised. Unluckily next moment they surrendered the lead.
Last edited by Tolamu on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Action Jeakson header goal for us, on a great corner kick. 82nd minute. 1-1 !!!!!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

And 2 minutes later, they score on a tap just inside. 1-2 behind.

And that is the finish after 5 minutes of stoppage time. 1-2.

We again showed that we can play with these guys. Just need a bit more strength (or kids look smaller), but our one-on-one ball skills are really good. Many of our guys seem to be able to control the ball and get past the guys way too often. Certainly better ball skills than I have seen with our senior team, no doubt. I don't think we are of the quality advance to the final 16, and it showed in the two matches. But we have played these two matches quite easily with a top-40 or top-60 quality at this level. That is better than I expected, considering that our kids are always at a physical disadvantage at this level, compared to the guys from abroad who are much bigger/stronger by age 17.

One thing is sure. This kid Dheeraj is an incredible goal keeper. I mean, out of this world. A total package, in height, kick-strength, reflexes, smarts, and attitude. Definitely a find. He will get picked up by some good club abroad soon without a doubt.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

And he throws way beyond the centre line !!!
Also he has good sense for the game. When to stay back when to come out.