Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Funding and Sponsorships for Indian Players

Post by sameerph »

I think if we are talking of potential, Ankita is a better doubles player than Prarthana. Her ranking is lower because she still concentrates on singles.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Agree with VReddy's argument but we won 2 medals at the last Olympics.

If Olympic potential is the only criteria, we should just reduce the list of 152 to around 20; and add another 100 u15s who have potential.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I thought of the same argument as did VReddy and I am also somewhat convinced that Ankita may not reach any higher than 150 in singles ranking even if everything starts clicking with her game. But to hold fast to that judgment just when she is making another move up in singles and has shwon some good recent results, isn't fair. And if we are giving money to Prarthana for doubles reasons, our highest ranked singles player who does have a decent doubles ranking should absolutely get money. And I would ask her to show her best-possible doubles rankings by Asiad and Olympics time. It is rather clear to me that Ankita has higher potential in doubles than has Prarthana. But really, like VReddy said, we should've just avoided such politics and picked her also. Sometimes you need to avoid doing what will look patently unfair, even when you know that you may have some valid reasons for doing it. That is also because it doesn't help to cause splits and divisions among players for paltry money reasons. It is not like India is so short of money.
VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by VReddy »

Really good point as usual, Jay. I think this is the first big public foray as an administrator for Somdev - while he may not respond, hope he reviews the reactions its getting and takes the learnings from this start. Hopefully he has a long journey ahead! :D :p

- Biased Somdev fan! :)
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:38 pm Agree with VReddy's argument but we won 2 medals at the last Olympics.

If Olympic potential is the only criteria, we should just reduce the list of 152 to around 20; and add another 100 u15s who have potential.
To call out, here the criteria (am assuming) being used is - Olympics entry potential (not medal potential). Focus on the people who are likely to make it to the Olympics and then maximize their potential even if they are not medal prospects.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Given that we are on this topic, I hope most of our talented juniors / tier-II / upcoming players apply for this: https://www.pressreader.com/india/the-t ... 4493254884

Rs 5 lakhs is a reasonable amount for a new funding source apart from the existing sources that our players may have.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Info from the Shaktidoot scheme in Gujarat (Pages 40-41): http://gujaratinformation.net/downloads ... ly2017.pdf . Some interesting note below
From 2007-2015, the aspiring players under the Shaktidoot scheme were grouped in A, B and C category depending upon the sports and given an
annual financial aid of Rs.25 lakh, Rs.15 lakh and Rs.5 lakh respectively. However, the selection of players under the scheme from the year 2016-17 is based on point system, their possibility of appearing in the Olympics 2020/2024 and their performance in non-Olympic games.
Would be interesting to dig up these schemes across each of the state and national federations + the list of beneficiaries. Thank you Prasen for starting this thread!

Coming to the discussion topic - Ankita Raina doesn't appear to have got much recognition outside of Gujarat inspite of being India's No.1 for so long now. I understand that it is usually a by-product of ranking / results but still.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I seem to understand Somdev's logic better now. Thanks for the explanation, VR. But, I doubt that Yuki will be able to stay healthy. Also, what is the qualifying rank for Olympic singles? Is 150 good enough?
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 pm I seem to understand Somdev's logic better now. Thanks for the explanation, VR. But, I doubt that Yuki will be able to stay healthy. Also, what is the qualifying rank for Olympic singles? Is 150 good enough?
2016 main draw list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_at ... lification

I see for Mens, the cut after all the rules were implemented, was at around 100 while for the ladies, it was at around 80.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So, Sumit and Kamran are also very long shots. But, maybe because they are young, they are being given the money.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

It is "KaRman" and not "KamRan", friends... As in "kaRmaNyEvAdhikAraste, mA phalEshu kadAchna" which was all already written in Bhagavat Gita, about who should get the government money (loosely, "only Karman has a right to get it, and don't ever except any results" :) ... j/k).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Right, Jay. I knew that, but, I guess my fingers just have their own mind while typing :-(
Varma

Post by Varma »

Talking of Bhagavadgita, "saMBavAmi yuki yuki" never really happened the way we expected it to be. Let's hope "karman" won't let us down, at least :p
- Varma
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

VReddy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:49 pm
To call out, here the criteria (am assuming) being used is - Olympics entry potential (not medal potential). Focus on the people who are likely to make it to the Olympics and then maximize their potential even if they are not medal prospects.
Vishnu, it seems this time the selection is mainly for Asian games and commonwealth games rather than Tokyo Olympics. Have a look at this article.

Sports Ministry adds 107 athletes to TOPS list for 2018 Commonwealth and Asian Games

Also have a look at the full list. There are so many cyclists and weightlifters in their in the list. If we are looking at medal potential in these games, we have never won medals in cycling in Asiad or CWG.

Ankita certainly deserves to be in that list more than them. In fact few more tennis players ( Saketh, Vishnu, Diivij,Purav) need to be added as they can certainly be medal potential in doubles in Asian games context.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Varma wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:31 amTalking of Bhagavadgita, "saMBavAmi yuki yuki" never really happened the way we expected it to be. Let's hope "karman" won't let us down, at least :p
No, the Gita was right, somewhat, about Yuki Yuki. The manifestations "sambhav" (occur) from time to time, pretty regularly. As injuries, that is.

In Karman's case, the Gita has an excuse though. It did say, "don't look for results/rewards". If she bombs out, well, we were not supposed to expect anything anyway! :)