Interesting thing I found....

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Interesting thing I found....

Post by Varma »

jayakris wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:15 am Heck, Hinduism originated in China. Don't you know where Siva sits? Mount KailAsa is in China. It all came from China, you see!
Since Mount Kailasa is in China, tell them it used to be part of India but occupied by China in later years. The reaction such a claim will evoke will be priceless to watch :p :p :p

- Varma
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

sameerph wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:22 pm In a related issue, there seems to be some breakthrough on Doklam stand off today and looks favourable to us -

Doklam standoff ends: What made China agree to restore pre-June 16 position of troops
Chinese media reporting as a big "win" for them.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

A peppy dance track, Jimikki Kammal, has become the internet sensation during Onam celebrations in Kerala. A Twitter user tweeted to Kimmel with one of the viral 'Jimikki Kammal' videos, asking if he had heard it. To his surprise, Kimmel soon responded to him, saying that "he loves the song."

http://indianexpress.com/article/trendi ... s-4835719/

Jay, does "Jimikki Kammal" mean earrings?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Haha! "Kammal" does mean ear ring. "Jimikki" is a type of ear ring, that looks like a small dome hanging from the year. The first line means "my mother's jimikki kammal was stolen away by my father; My mother drank and finished my father's bottle of brandy" :) ... Haha!

I don't think these guys knew anything about Jimmy Kimmel! But the song is cool, and the informal dance the women are doing is very pleasing to see too. This is what Onam spirit is about. They are all just happy in Kerala at this time. Bottles of brandy, the Malayalee's favorite drink, helps too.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Jay, thanks for the details. Move over kolaveris. This is the new viral video as a result of the film producers issuing an upload contest of some type.

https://www.google.com/amp/theladiesfin ... ncing/amp/

This is one of them. The type of earring is clearly visible here.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

IBM has more employees in India than US! [Twenty five years ago] Who would have thunk?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:44 amIBM has more employees in India than US! [Twenty five years ago] Who would have thunk?
I don't keep up with this stuff, but I assumed IBM was pretty much an inconsequential company now. Now, that I wouldn't have thunk 25 years ago, but I probably thank wrong just now too.... Are they all we really have, to brag on?

Just a rhetorical question with no info to back any of it, of course.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I do not know about "consequence", but, IBM remains the fourth largest information tech company in the world after Apple, Microsoft, and Alphabet (Google). For the world's fourth largest IT company to have more people in India is something interesting. No, that is not all that we have to brag on, and, I am not sure that even this is something to brag on. It may well be because labor is cheap in India. It's just an interesting fact.

IBM's Watson was first of its kind.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Germany is one of the few countries whose exports to China are higher than their imports.
And to nullify the Communist have come up with a new plan to have a Communist Party Cell in each of their organisation , Imagine a Communist peasant sitting in Benz , BMW offices . And it is apparent not only German companies , but other foreign multinationals are forced to follow this directives.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/economy/ ... -communist
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

jayakris wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:18 am
prasen9 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:44 amIBM has more employees in India than US! [Twenty five years ago] Who would have thunk?
I don't keep up with this stuff, but I assumed IBM was pretty much an inconsequential company now. Now, that I wouldn't have thunk 25 years ago, but I probably thank wrong just now too.... Are they all we really have, to brag on?

Just a rhetorical question with no info to back any of it, of course.
IBM became a consulting, software and services company more than a decade ago, shifting its focus from hardware (where it was the originator of the "IBM-PC", the minicomputer and one of the biggest producers of mainframe computers). As part of this process, IBM bought PriceWaterhouseCooper's software and related consulting business in India, which gave it a large proportion of its India employees. PwC's business was Calcutta-headquartered, and so IBM is now a major employer in Kolkata -- and was the hub around which a relatively large software/services cluster has emerged in the New Calcutta (Salt Lake and Rajarhat).

This is all somewhat ironic, because India's computer industry probably got one of its biggest fillips when George Fernandes threw out IBM (and Coca-Cola) from India in 1977. The withdrawal of IBM helped create the beginnings of a software industry in India, with HCL taking over many of their operations -- and computer hardware manufacturing also began to emerge in India after IBM's departure. CMC was established by the government to take over the function of maintaining IBM's existing computers in India -- and CMC itself was bought by the Tata group and integrated into TCS as part of the Vajpayee government's privatisation programme.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 508030.cms

Jay and others, what do you think about this Indian government policy of not accepting aid from foreign countries for natural disasters?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I really don't know what to think of it. Kerala of course needs the money. The PM only promised Rs 500 crores when Kerala asked for a minimum Rs 2000 crore (knowing that the current estimates of money needed for disaster reconstruction is Rs 20,000 crores). I can see that many big countries would not accept funds from abroad for such things, and so India has a policy (of some sort) that was set from the previous government to stop doing that. If that is important for Indians to have that kind of pride, then it is fine. But the PM shuold immediately release 700 extra crores to Kerala, because that is what UAE offered.
suresh

Post by suresh »

It is not a law that we can't accept donations from abroad. Now political parties are permitted to get donations from abroad with BJP and Congress being the major beneficiaries of this largesse. I don't see why Kerala cannot be allowed to do the same. In particular, UAE has benefited immensely from people from Kerala working there. Hopefully, common sense prevails and our Central government lets the donation through.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

What’s the stated rationale for the current policy?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

suresh wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:10 pm It is not a law that we can't accept donations from abroad. Now political parties are permitted to get donations from abroad with BJP and Congress being the major beneficiaries of this largesse. I don't see why Kerala cannot be allowed to do the same. In particular, UAE has benefited immensely from people from Kerala working there. Hopefully, common sense prevails and our Central government lets the donation through.
It is not a law, but apparently a policy that the Manmohan Singh Government started at the tsunami time in 2004, that the Modi Government decided to continue. I believe they have refused other foreign offers during the Chattisgarh flood etc. I think the Government is okay with funds being given as loans to India or to the states though. Just no donations.