Rutuja Bhosale thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

bujilover
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Rutuja Bhosale thread

Post by bujilover »

Rutuja is playing in a $10K ITF tournament this week at Amelia Island , Florida.

The event is on clay courts.

R1

Rutuja BHOSALE (933) vs [WC] Andie K. DANIELL (USA,NR)

:goodluck:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rutuja is in the midst of purple patch in her sophomore season for University of Texas A & M. She is ranked 57 and has now won 7 consecutive matches for her team including 63 63 win over #41 and 61 62 over #81 in her last 2 matches.

She was also named SEC player of the week, last week-

Rutuja Bhosale Named SEC Women's Tennis Player of the Week
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Here is a link to Rutuja's bio in A&M's atheltics page. It is mentioned that she is planning to take up professional tennis after graduation. :D

Rutuja Bhosale
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, Rutuja had talked about that even when she went to play college tennis. But, surprisingly she has not played any pro tennis this year at all and has lost her WTA rankings. I guess she may be busy completing her classes during college off season.

Our experience with girls who join US college tennis has not been good. Everyone who has gone there - Sandhya Nagaraj, Sanna Bhambri and many others before that never came back to play pro tennis ( let alone be successful at it.)

I hope Rutuja and Kanika Vaidya prove that once can be successful on WTA tour even after going thru US college circuit.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

I think a lot of Indian women (and men too, for that matter) discover that a US college degree opens up many more lucrative options other than tennis, especially if they have gone to a good college. (Sanaa went to do an MBA, so her intentions were clearly not to focus on tennis). We could go all the way back to Uzma Khan. The women's game is different from the men's in that women who are going to make it usually do so by the time they are 18 (if not earlier), while the men are now only making it to the top-100 when they are 21-23 years old (Kyrgios, Dimitrov, Tomic being the exceptions). But a female college graduate who is 21-23 years old will have very little chance of having a significant college career.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

One good thing for Rutuja is she is currently aged only 19 and already in her junior year in college. So, even if she completes 4 full years, she can turn to pro tennis in June 2016 when she will be 20 years and 3 months. Perhaps, still not too late for the WTA tour. Lets see.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

OK, thanks for that vital reminder, Sameer. Kanika, too, is just 20 at the moment (and already would have been in her senior year at college, but she has instead taken time off to train at the Barcelona academy). I suppose these two could yet have a shot at having serious pro careers.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Wrong thread
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Saniapower wrote:Wrong thread
Oops, thanks ... Shifting to Rohan's thread.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rutuja has made a good start to her final semester season at the college tennis . This is an article on her -

Bhosale's professional approach to the game has Texas A&M women's tennis team out to hot start
“I came in mentally prepared, I had practiced a lot back home and I’ve started really well,” Bhosale said. “I do practice a lot because I want to play professional tennis afterward and I really just want to be professional about everything.”
Good to see that she is still on path on playing professional tennis unlike most of the other girls who went to US colleges never to come back to play pros.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rutuja has made a good start to her final semester season at the college tennis . This is an article on her -

Bhosale's professional approach to the game has Texas A&M women's tennis team out to hot start
“I came in mentally prepared, I had practiced a lot back home and I’ve started really well,” Bhosale said. “I do practice a lot because I want to play professional tennis afterward and I really just want to be professional about everything.”
Good to see that she is still on path on playing professional tennis unlike most of the other girls who went to US colleges never to come back to play pros.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Congratulations to Rutuja for winning her first ITF title this week in Aurangabad. Great start to her professional career after graduating from university of texas a & m.

These are her results this week-

[R1] Rutuja BHOSALE (IND) 6-1 6-4 Tejasvi KATE (IND)
[R2] Rutuja BHOSALE (IND) 6-2 4-6 6-3 Sai Samhitha CHAMARTHI (IND) [6]
[QF] Rutuja BHOSALE (IND) 6-0 6-1 Yubarani BANERJEE (IND)
[SF] Rutuja BHOSALE (IND) 6-3 7-6(6) Ramya NATARAJAN (IND)
[F] Rutuja BHOSALE (IND) 6-4 6-4 Mahak JAIN (IND)

With 12 points from that title adding to the 5 that she got last year from Navi Mumbai challenger, Rutuja will get to somewhere in 800's in the WTA rankings when these points are updated a week later.

She had a reasonable ( although not great) college career and still only 21. So, hopefully she will do something worthwhile in her pro career. This ranking will enable her to get easily into $15K level tournaments.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Rutuja is in Spain playing a $15K ITF this week. Next week, She joins Ankita and Riya in Germany for a $25K ITF where she would have to qualify for mai draw. :goodluck:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rutuja retired in her R1 match while trailing 1-5 in the first set against 7th seed Swede Fanny Ostuland. She pulled out of next week too. Hope no serious injury.