Womens World Cup

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Womens World Cup

Post by PKBasu »

India begin their campaign for the Women's World Cup with a sensational upset of hosts England. The Indian openers (Mandhana-Raut) were brilliant in their 134-run opening stand, as India won by 35 runs after making a mammoth 281/3.
PKBasu

Women's World Cup

Post by PKBasu »

With a magnificent 35-run victory over England in the opening match, India are suddenly contenders for the Women's World Cup. Led by Mithali Raj and including some veterans like Jhulan Goswami, India have several exciting youngsters in Smriti Mandhana, Poonam Raut and Deepti Sharma.
PKBasu

Re: Womens World Cup

Post by PKBasu »

All three of the youngsters mentioned above played key roles in the 35-run victory in the inaugural match. Mandhana (whose innings was compared to a typical Ganguly knock by Cricinfo) made 90 off 72 balls, while Raut made 82 and 19-year-old Sharma was the key wicket-taker (she is an all rounder).
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

India cruised to another easy win over West Indies. Chssing 184, India finished the task in 42.3 overs with 7 wickets in hand. Another spectacular innings from Smriti Mandhhana, this time a century. She is 106 not out from 108 balls. The best part about Smriti is her phenomenal strike rate which is very rare in women's cricket. Mithali Raj got out for 46 and missed her 8th consecutive half century.

Here is the full score card http://www.cricbuzz.com/live-cricket-sc ... d-cup-2017
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I lucked into watching Smriti play a domestic game two years ago and have been a fan since. She's so so good. I knew it the first time I saw her. Sometimes you just know. And she's only 20 years old. Wow! We have an able successor to Mithali -- already a legend in her own right -- ready to take over when it's time.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Good to know, Atithee. It is hard to get first hand information (even from a mere spectator) of our women cricketers. Glad you could share here of what you saw. I happened to have read a couple of good articles praising the potential of Deepti Sharma too. I think she is another girl to keep an eye on. I am looking forward to our women challenging the Aussie domination.

- Varma
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

The other real spark of this team is Harmanpreet Kaur. She is work hard play hard type. Deepti is definitely among the ones to watch. Both Kaur and Sharma bowl and all three are good fielders too. I think each of them has effected a run out in the current World Cup already.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

India comfortably beat Pakistan today, despite a relatively unimpressive batting performance. But Ekta Bisht (who bowls left-arm spin with her cap on) took 5/19 to ensure an easy victory by 95 runs, as Pakistan folded for 74.
India at the top of the standings now, although Australia also has 3 wins in 3 matches.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The Indian women seem to be losing momentum. A narrow win over Sri Lanka was followed by a huge loss to Soith Africa; so India no longer lead the table, but are instead third.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

We are going to lose to Australia and will have a virtual QF against NZ to finish in the top 4.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Sin Hombre wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:17 amWe are going to lose to Australia and will have a virtual QF against NZ to finish in the top 4.
Yeah. India's position was masked by the fact that we had played the three weakest teams early. However, the win against England was excellent, so hopefully they can reproduce that form against Australia / NZ.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Looks like I jinxed Smriti. Our fortunes rest on Smriti and Mithali in batting. If they don't click, we will lose most of the times. I watched the early matches and the spinners, who strangled the opposition, were nothing great. I couldn't believe how opposite sides were defending against such innocuous bowling. I'd fancy my chances against such lollipop style bowling.
suresh

Post by suresh »

We are in if we beat NZ irrespective of other results. NZ has a no result which helps our case.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Happy to see that India are completely thrashing New Zealand. Based on other results, it looks like we will finish third in the table, with England & Australia taking the first two spots. So most likely a semi final against Australia...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

India thrashed NZ by 186 runs to finish third in the table -- and will indeed play Australia in the SF. Of course the first win over England proved vital in the end.