Greatest Indian Women Athlete

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Who do you think greatest Indian women athlete?

Sania Mirza
17%
Saina Nehwal
30%
Pusarla V. Sindhu
17%
Dipa Karmakar
27%
Anju Bobby George
No votes
P.T. Usha
7%
Mary Kom
3%
Karnam Malleswari
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 30

gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Greatest Indian Women Athlete

Post by gbelday »

Atithee wrote: Re: Sania, the fact that she has so few votes here in a rabid fan base is telling. That's all from me folks.
That's may be because the question isn't clear. I wouldn't vote for Sania too if we were talking only athleticism. I considered achievements, global reach of the sport, competition, support/coaching, longevity, peer group etc.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

I voted for Saina.

Trailblazer
Olympic and WC medalist
WR #1
Top 10 player for a decade (longevity)

I do hope Aditi Ashok (not mentioned at all) and Sindhu can take over that mantle in the coming years.

Also surprised at the lack of mentions for Mithali Raj.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Hey, my question was clear. Which athlete's resume would you want yourself or your son or daughter have? You can only choose one and you will have exactly that.

But, I suppose people can answer whatever question they perceive. Given the title, "greatest" will possibly be redefined according to individual values.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Just to answer your particular question, that would be Aditi Ashok.

Outdoor sport with good earning potential and can have a long career with relatively fewer injuries. Also, not as high profile a sport in India which means no possibility of being mass recognized and having to face unnecessary scrutiny by a success starved Indian public.

Nothing to do with the thread title though.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

http://www.ptusha.org/achievements

Here is a list of PT Usha's achievements. The sensations that Dipa and Sindhu are today, Usha was in the mind-80s. She did far more that run that 1 race at Los Angeles. Since then India has not produced a track athlete of her caliber (male or female). The few successful ones have all been field athletes.
Having said that I voted for Saina.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saina_Nehwal
Attached is her achievements. 23 international titles is no joke. 10 of those are Super Series titles. Add to that a Junior World Championship, a World Championship silver, an Olympic bronze and an Uber Cup bronze and you have something to be proud about. Just to give you a perspective Prakash Padukone had about 9 titles.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Usha's achievements were great. But, if you notice carefully her major achievements were at Asian level. At world level her best was 4th place finish at LA Olympics in a depleted field. When everyone was available the best was a SF at world championships in 1987. At the world level, Anju Bobby George had better results with a medal at world championships, world athletics final and commonwealth games.

Again both of them were on an average at a ranking of 8-10 in 1 athletic event. ( Usha a bit lower). If you consider all women athletes competing it would work out to be among top 100 athletes.

Comparably, I would consider Sania's achivements of being in top 30 in womens tennis singles and then being world #1 in doubles a bit higher. Sindhu and Saina's a lot higher.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

In some of the earlier threads, far too much was being made about athleticism. At the highest level, mental strength (killer instinct) separates a champion from good performers. Saina has that. Among men, Leander and Kohli are 2 players who have it in abundance, in Sachin's case it was absent. I don't think Sania has mental strength either.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

The one thing against Saina's greatness is the inability to conquer the Chinese in general. That's where Sindhu has the edge and may end up inching past Sania.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

This Indian woman is shattering the glass ceiling for celebrity pay
http://www.msn.com/en-my/money/markets/ ... li=BBr8Mk9
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

It is an interesting poll. Everytime I see a Saina person vote, one Dipa person seems to come out of the woodwork and votes (or vice-versa) :-)