Indians in US College Tennis

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Abish arul
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indians in US College Tennis

Post by Abish arul »

looks like manish sureshkumar is not with TNTA or karti seen a video of him looking for US college as well as nitinkumar sinha and BR nikshep
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I had asked Karti on twitter and he said TNTA is supporting Manish Sureshkumar as well as Dakhineshwar Suresh.

On the other hand, going to college won't be such a bad idea unless he is top 10 ITF junior type player already. It would make even more sense for Nitin to do so. He seems obviously talented but lacks support to play tournaments abroad or train there.
Abish arul

Post by Abish arul »

oh thanks for the info hopefully they will end up with some good universities
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Thanks Ram for your insights as a tennis parent. I have had a lot of interactions with my friend Kumar (here in Plano, TX) as he was preparing his son on his tennis journey. Pranav Kumar made it into the Texas A&M lineup (http://www.12thman.com/roster.aspx?path=mten) and his game has improved significantly this past year. Pranav is likely to get into some of the Futures events, probably starting next year and he has just turned 17 and had done well at the Texas Grand Slam level. He also made it to the 4th round at the Zoo losing to S. Riffice the eventual winner.

I'm following Pranav over the course of the year - he is red-shirted the first year and his academic load has been balanced out so he doesnt get crushed by it and his tennis game can also develop over the coming year.

I'm also coaching Kumar informally - maybe I can start a coaching program for tennis parents!

Prof
VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by VReddy »

Not sure of the right thread to post in. An interview of Arjun Kadhe in HT earlier in the week: http://www.hindustantimes.com/pune-news ... 8IwbN.html
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Remember, we had an Indian parent (Ram?!), father of Arjun (won a G5 event in Srilanka in 2014) querying about US College Tennis awhile ago. Looks like Arjun is pursuing his college tennis at Morgan State now. Here is the link. Interestingly, there are 2 more Indians on the roster.
Ram

Post by Ram »

bujilover wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:29 pm Remember, we had an Indian parent (Ram?!), father of Arjun (won a G5 event in Srilanka in 2014) querying about US College Tennis awhile ago. Looks like Arjun is pursuing his college tennis at Morgan State now. Here is the link. Interestingly, there are 2 more Indians on the roster.
Hi, I'm very much here enjoying the insightful posts by the knowledgeable tennis fans :-)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Good to see you around, Ram. All the best to Jun. (Thanks bujilover for alerting us. I was actually wondering sometime ago about it!)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

It looks Akanksha Bhan has signed up to play for Colombia university. This is an article from their website-

TENNIS SIGNEE AKANKSHA BHAN COMPETES AT AUSTRALIAN OPEN JRS

It is the same place where Kanika Vaidya went for 4 years. I saw Akanksha at the Australian open juniors and her game looked pretty good but not big and consistent enough to immediately succeed in pros. So, 3-4 years in college may get her ready to get into pros by 20-21.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Columbia is not a great place for a future pro to go, because it is a serious academic university that doesn't provide sports scholarships (and generally pays much less attention to sports). I don't think Kanika gained a whole lot (tennis-wise) from going there, although she picked up a good degree -- and is slowly getting back onto the tour more than a year after leaving college. In fact, it took her more than a year to go above her pre-college WTA ranking.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Our #1 junior Siddhant Banthia is joining Wake Forest university -

Siddhant Banthia and Matej Cintl will join the Demon Deacons for the upcoming spring season

Wake Forest are the current NCAA team champions and are ranked #1. So, I think it is a great opportunity for Siddhant to be getting to play there with some tough competition around.

Going by his up and down junior results, he did not seem ready to play pros immediately. So, 3-4 years over there should help him.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Siddhant Banthia helps Wake Forest get to the finals of the ITA D1 National Team Indoor Championship match.

Wake Forest lost to Ohio State in the final by a 4-2 decision. 2 points for Wake Forest came from wins at #3 singles and at #6 Singles (Siddhant Banthia).

https://godeacs.com/news/2019/2/18/mens ... match.aspx
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Wake Forest’s Borna Gojo is having a phenomenal professional tennis career with some notable wins in the previous season. Sid Banthia is in good hands :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

True, also their another player Petros Chrysochos is ranked #1 in the ITA rankings. Sid Banthia would benefit by just practicing with these quality players. They would likely to have a good coach too. Hope, Sid can come in their top 3 in next couple of years which would get him a lot of quality matches.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sportsfan wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:10 am Siddhant Banthia helps Wake Forest get to the finals of the ITA D1 National Team Indoor Championship match.
Wake Forest lost to Ohio State in the final by a 4-2 decision. 2 points for Wake Forest came from wins at #3 singles and at #6 Singles (Siddhant Banthia).
He better move up from playing #6 for them. He is much better than that - and I'm sure they will move him up soon. You have to be playing the top couple of spots to get quality opposition in colleges. But it takes a little time for freshmen to earn their way up the ladder within the team.