Interesting thing I found....

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
sanjay5goel
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Interesting thing I found....

Post by sanjay5goel »

Jay -

Thanks for the comprehensive response. You are, however, mixing up what the epics say with Darwins evolution theory. If you stick to the epics - then human civilization on earth goes back millions and millions of years.

Folks who have some serious interest in this subject are recommended to read "Forbidden Archeology: The Hidden History of the Human Race". This book if choc full of data punching so many holes in the theory of evolution that nothing of the theory remains :D

However, those who prefer to read a condensed version can get "The Hidden History of the Human Race." Both are easily available from amazon.com.

For those who would rather not buy and read books can watch videos of his presentations on this subject on youtube.com. There are very many on youtube. The one I am giving the link to below is a pretty long video and he has a habit of speaking rather slowly - please do not let that disturb / unnerve you. It is a fact that in this fast paced world we get unnerved when someone speaks slowly :-(

He is a well respected speaker in academic circles and I have seen him making presentations in universities in Europe and even in Russia.
Jay - what about inviting him to speak at your University?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFxQn6Q34mI

Hare Krishna!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Atithee wrote:Jay, I can't comment on the theories of invasion but I'm glad that our own long lost "Dravidian from Irvine" has resurrected.
True, Atithee. Jay, glad to see those long interesting posts on everything back. :D You have brought some energy back to the forum.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

For those who were wondering who the actress posted by Jay is (for research purposes of course :p ), she is Seo Ji-hye.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Japanese maps

The article mentions about the military maps by the Japanese during world war 2. The Japanese paid attention to minute details and didn't just stick to topography. What intrigues me the most is the fact that they had detailed maps for some Indian cities, areas.. Links to university libraries who have published these maps on their sites are provided in the article itself
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

jayakris wrote: Tamil and Korean are older languages and the connection comes from those times. There are actually a lot more common words than shown the article and I have personally collected a lot of them in my hobby research. They are all basic words which is the proof that the connection is from possibly the earliest days of civilization. But I am happy to see the topic get some exposure.
Interesting indeed. Can you share them at some point?

Thanks!
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

A lot of the cognates are here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dravido-Korean_languages

Of course, I don't know if Jay wrote that page :D
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Prashant wrote:A lot of the cognates are here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dravido-Korean_languages
Of course, I don't know if Jay wrote that page :D
No, I certainly would not write that page, though most of the cognates they mention are those I had identified myself (the rest are generally wrongly listed as cognates - like vanakkam and bangap-da and the "wa" (come) in both languages). By the way, I hate when people write stuff like this
In the Republic of Korea (South Korea), Tamil words resonate in homes. And many of the native speakers do not realize they are using Tamil words. For, these words are a part of the Korean language. Amma and appa — denoting mother and father in the Korean language too — are among the first words Korean children learn. These are among the thousands of Tamil words that are part of the Korean language.
Hello? Who told you that Koreans are speaking Tamil words. Tamilians and Malayalees are probably speaking Korean words, for all I know. Korean has a deeper structure and root sounds behind the words than Tamil does, which is the reason why I suspect that any migration of words were more to Tamil than to Korean. In fact most probably neither directly influenced each other; instead this is the result of language-migration towards Korea and to South India from somewhere where a proto-language existed. It is all a very puzzling thing, because genetic similarities end at various points when you consider the vastly different genetics of people you find in the 6000 km land travel distance between Korea and S.India. It is like languages traveled more than did genetics. So it seems to me. Anyway, nobody seems to have put their finger on what really happened a few millennia back, to get to the bottom of this language connection - the existence of which is undeniable.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

What a coincidence. Jay, maybe there's something for you to read here.

http://www.economist.com/news/science-a ... -languages

Here is the same citation but a bit more details (I think). The comments for the economist.com citation are interesting.

https://news.google.co.in/news/ampviewe ... pt0-395340
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I think we've discussed this before, but legend has it that Queen Heo Hwang-ok (wife of Suro, king of Gaya in Korea) requested that her two eldest children carry her surname of Heo (otherwise written Huh or Hur, occasionally also as Her), and all Koreans with that surname are said to be descended from her. Her other 8 children had the surname Kim (the commonest one in Korea), but their descendants are the Gimhae Kims (who comprise about 5 million people today, the largest single Kim clan).

Heo Hwang-ok is said to have been from Ayodhya. Some people had asserted that this may have referred to the Thai city of Ayutthaya, but the latter was established a few centuries after Princess Heo arrived in Korea. Almost all Koreans believe she was from India, and the genetic link between Heo/GimhaeKim and some north Indians has also been proven. The most famous Gimhae Kim of recent times was Kim Dae-jung, president from 1998 to 2003 and Korea's icon of democracy. So was the wife of the immediate past president (Lee Myung-bak).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Just to make sure people get the right impression, this was one ancestor over 100s of years ago. There are some studies that say about 2000 years ago some folks from India also landed up in Korea. However, if you do an ancestry test, most of your genes are possibly derived from 10 of your ancestors, which means that when you go beyond the great grandparent level, the amount of inherited DNA is very small even though traces in the mtDNA or the Y-chromosome comes from a long chain of ancestors. Koreans are one of the most endogamous races on the planet.

This is what I know. Anyone with better scientific knowledge, please feel free to correct it.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Mostly unrelated to the current topic but an interesting read nonetheless:

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/14/12887956/h ... e-genetics
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

As usual, comments for such articles are interesting. I do have a question -- are any of you aware of the water drinking custom mentioned? I can think of a ritualistic symbolic thing but not a literal following. It may, however, happen in that village in Odisha.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/wo ... ories.html
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote:As usual, comments for such articles are interesting. I do have a question -- are any of you aware of the water drinking custom mentioned?
I only wish that these western writers would ever show the courtesy to just mention how rare some of these things they find in India are. It is a huge country. You can find any number of weird customs there. No, I don't think even 0.0001 percent of women in India has ever had to drink the water with which they washed their in-laws feet! That deserves a disclaimer but we never get that in articles like this. It was a good read though.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

PKBasu wrote:I think we've discussed this before, but legend has it that Queen Heo Hwang-ok (wife of Suro, king of Gaya in Korea) requested that her two eldest children carry her surname of Heo (otherwise written Huh or Hur, occasionally also as Her), and all Koreans with that surname are said to be descended from her. Her other 8 children had the surname Kim (the commonest one in Korea), but their descendants are the Gimhae Kims (who comprise about 5 million people today, the largest single Kim clan).

Heo Hwang-ok is said to have been from Ayodhya. Some people had asserted that this may have referred to the Thai city of Ayutthaya, but the latter was established a few centuries after Princess Heo arrived in Korea. Almost all Koreans believe she was from India, and the genetic link between Heo/GimhaeKim and some north Indians has also been proven. The most famous Gimhae Kim of recent times was Kim Dae-jung, president from 1998 to 2003 and Korea's icon of democracy. So was the wife of the immediate past president (Lee Myung-bak).
I was a bit startled by the claim (common among Koreans in the know) that this princess from Ayodhya has 5-10 million descendants in Korea today. That is 10-20% of South Korea's population. But descendants of an elite family are likelier to survive through the centuries than others. Thus 15-20% of Tripura's population are DebBarmans (or DevVarmans), with a blood link to the Tripura royal family. And Abdul Aziz ibn Saud (who admittedly had 45 sons and perhaps 50 or so daughters, from 22 known wives) has 7000 direct descendants alive today -- just 63 years after the patriarch's death.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Didn't know where to post it ,
but just wanted you guys to know the prejudiced , jaundiced view China adopts to suit their selfish ulterior motives.

In border dispute with India they go back as far as 1890 to highlight an unknown treaty to stake their unfair claims
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/chin ... 92225.html

And when it comes to the most recent and fresh which is in everyone's mind especially the 7 million HongKong who's daily lives will be affected , An 1984 joint declarations Between Britain and China which safeguards HongKong Autonomy and Freedom for 50 years from 1997 onwards and the one which is enshrined , China says that treaty is irrelevant.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/poli ... er-has-any

Just goes to show how this dictatorial regime indulges in cherry picking and talks about treaties which only suit them and wants the world to follow them , But when it comes follow and observe the same spirit for other treaties which goes against their low principles they call it irrelevant.
Funny - Strange are the ways of the peasants in the North.