Where to earn an ATP ranking point

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

DoseTennis
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Where to earn an ATP ranking point

Post by DoseTennis »

I’ve always had the dream, like many, of being a professional tennis player. However, it’s incredibly difficult to make it as an ATP professional. Most players have to start at the Futures level where the pay is minimal, the level of competition is high, and conditions aren’t always great.

Even with this in mind, I still hold on to the dream of someday earning an ATP ranking point. I wrote a blog post over at

https://doseoftennis.blogspot.com/2016/ ... nking.html

where I go through all the Futures played in 2015 and take note of the Future’s winner’s career-high ranking in order to find where it would be the “easiest” to earn an ATP ranking point. The full data for all Futures is over at goo.gl/hHI9h5 and below I listed the data for all the Futures held in India in 2015.

Let me know if there’s anything I can add or if you have any comments. Thank you.

Futures in India in 2015

Future Winner Winner’s Career-High Ranking
India F1 Futures Enrique Lopez Perez 207
India F2 Futures Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan 293
India F3 Futures N Vijay Sundar Prashanth 335
India F4 Futures N Vijay Sundar Prashanth 335
India F5 Futures Karunuday Singh 393
India F6 Futures Ramkumar Ramanathan 199
India F7 Futures Sasi Kumar Mukund 548
India F8 Futures Sumit Nagal 379
India F9 Futures Antoine Escoffier 386
India F10 Futures Antoine Escoffier 386
India F11 Futures Sumit Nagal 379
India F12 Futures Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan 293
India F13 Futures Ramkumar Ramanathan 199
India F14 Futures N Vijay Sundar Prashanth 335
India F15 Futures Sumit Nagal 379
India F16 Futures Ramkumar Ramanathan 199
India F17 Futures Jui Chen Hung 596
India F18 Futures Prajnesh Gunneswaran 401
India F19 Futures Ramkumar Ramanathan 199

Average Career-High Ranking of Winners: 339
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Where to earn an ATP ranking point

Post by sameerph »

Thanks, Dosetennis for your nice analysis. However, as you have said taking career high ranking of players is not relevant when you say which is the easiest place to earn an ATP ranking. The ranking as of that time is more relevant. There will be a lot of players here who are making a comeback from injury or some thing and a lot of them who are yet to reach their peak.

For instance, in your analysis, Sri Lanka appears to be the country with the most difficult place to go to earn ranking points. In reality it would be the other way around and I am sure Sri Lanka is one of the easiest one. I have not checked but it seems the winner of those futures there in 2015 must be someone coming back from injury.

If one is talking about only getting into ATP rankings then entry cut off ranking and the ranking of the seeds would be the most relevant data to find out the easiest place to earn ranking points. I am sure India will come out as one of the easiest places along with few other places in Asia.
vatsal323

Re: Where to earn an ATP ranking point

Post by vatsal323 »

I share the same dream, Dose Of Tennis. From my observation, places like Nigeria are the easiest. India is still tough!