Indian Women's Hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: Indian Women's Hockey

Post by ssp »

Agree with Sameer's analysis. NZ were far better and only some great keeping and defending kept it to 1-0.

As usual, we couldn't keep possession for too long and were hemmed in our own half for most of the match. Our ball speed is too slow and we were physically too weak to compete with the Kiwis. All as I expected, although I feared a 4-5 goal defeat.

There has been some progress in the past 1-2 years as we managed to string together a few passes and more experience of games like this will help. More importantly, we need a good coach. Hawgood has been around for several years without really getting us to improve our main weakness (playing the ball out of defence and then keeping the ball). What can we do with our brilliant stickwork when we don't have the ball?
ssp

Post by ssp »

Shocking 4-0 loss to Ireland, who I thought were going to be the weakest team here! We were very lucky to lose 1-0 to NZ yesterday. They missed 5-6 really easy chances as we kept losing the ball right on top of our D.
Hawgood is useless. Oltmans took over for one tournament and made a noticeable improvement, yet HI keep going back to this incompetent Aussie :damn:
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Looks like India lost to China 1-2 to finish at the bottom of the pool. However, the pool only decides QF opponents, so they have a chance to progress further if they can pull off an upset in the QF against either Japan or Australia (not sure who finished on top of the other pool).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

I did not see that match but it looks like a better for us as China is current Asian #1 and it seems we were leading 1-0 till about 20 mins to close.

It looks like we will play Japan in QF. If I remember correctly, we beat Japan a few months ago in the Rio qualifying event. But, Japan is playing very well in this tournament and we are not . So, let us see.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

India lost to Japan 1-3 in the QF. Sadly, we seem to be not playing as well as we were during Olympics qualification tournament and Japan is playing much better.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Japan have been performing well in this tournament, but I felt we may have had a chance given our recent results against them, but we seem to have gone backwards.

The real shocker was the 4-0 loss to Ireland. I suspect any team which is physically fit and strong and presses us high will get scores of easy chances because we simply can't get the ball out of our own half. We just give the ball away right on top of our D. Incredibly dumb stuff. :damn:

I think Hawgood has no ideas on how to fix this problem.
ssp

Post by ssp »

We scraped a 1-0 win over Canada and will contest 5th place v Korea. Pleased to see a win at last.

For a change we actually created a press on the opposition. Previously we were just too meek and didn't have the skills or passing ability to play the ball out our defence. The really poor result was the 4-0 loss to Ireland. We were very lucky to lose only 1-0 to NZ.

Japan have made the final and they have shown a big improvement in this tournament. I think this has been due to their incredible hard running and closing down which stops the other teams from creating too many chances. We need a coach who understands this and gets our team to do something similar. Hawood's methods are always the same. We play the ball around far too slowly in defence and then when our ball carrier has 2-3 players around her, she panics and simply gives the ball away. When the opposition have the ball, we simply sit back and let them build up attacks without exerting any real press. very frustrating t see this repeated year after year.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

SSP, it seems we play Ireland for 5-6 place, they beat Korea today.

I only saw the first match against NZ but fully agree with your assessment. when ball was in their defense, our forwards just did not exert any pressure on the opponent and allowed them to built the moves. This is something which can be easily rectified with some good coaching.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Pretty poor showing to finish 6th after losing to Ireland in a shoot out. Didn't score more an a goal in any game. Definitely regressed from the South African tour. We have no PC flicker, but we don't win too many anyway.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Our women are on a tour to England to play 5 matches. Results have been poor so far. A 2-0 loss to GB 'A' was followed up by a 6-0 thrashing to the main GB team today.
We can't compete against the physically stronger teams like GB, Holland, Germany, NZ etc.Our ball pace is so slow and the other teams just run past us orbrush our ladies aside. We don't have the ball for more than a few seconds at a time anyway. In fact we have regressed so badly under Hawgood's that I fear an embarrassing last place at Rio.
Taking the poor show at the Hawkes Bay tournament and these 2 matches, it seems we can't score and as usual, can't defend either. We have no PC threat at all and simply can't string more than 2 passes together. I get the impression that HI are happy with the incompetent Hawgood as he doesn't create any fuss and he is happy to take the $$$s as he has no ambition to move on to a top job. :damn:
ssp

Post by ssp »

Depressing tour of England ended with 5 losses.
After the 1st 2 defeats, our team put up a bit of a fight losing 'only' 2-1 & 4-2, before being hammered 7-0 in the last match. We used to be competitive with GB/England, but their progress has been matched by our decline. We can't hold a candle to their speed and physicality.

Unfortunately, our coach is useless. He hasn't got a clue and is not really worried about his future employment beacuse he know HI are too stupid to bother looking at things like performance/results!!

http://stick2hockey.com/Article/The-Hin ... 13044.html
ssp

Post by ssp »

Our women are playing in a 4 nation tournament in Australia. NZ and Japan are the 2 other teams. Matches are being streamed live here:http://www.epicentre.tv/events/womens-i ... ckey-open/

We started with a 4-1 loss to NZ. No complaints about the result. The Kiwis were by far the better team. In fact they missed 3-4 open goals (mean with our keeper beaten and an empty goal!1), but there was an element of bad luck in 3 of the goals we conceded. 1st one looked to have gone off the pitch, the 2nd one was a mistake by our keeper and the 4th NZ goal resulted from a break away after we were denied a foul at the other end of the pitch. On the balance of play, we were probably lucky to lose by only 3 goals.

Our play is still frustratingly poor. No chance at all of playing the ball out of our own defence. Hawgood is utterly incapable of working on this horrible weakness. All the Kiwis had to do was crowd our ball carrier and the ball was presented to them by a poor pass. We lost all the 50/50 (or even 40/60) balls and then the umpiring was awful. In any quarter there were at least 5-6 decisions wrongly given against us.

When in possession, we looked predictable, whilst the Kiwis would always find a free player with crisp passing. We just looked slow as was our ball speed on passing. Marking was poor (lots of ball watching) and that made the Kiwis' task much easier.

On the positive side, we defended fairly well (we had to as the ball was in that area constantly), the keeper made some good saves and our goal was brilliant. We pressed a little bit better than before.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

We drew with Japan 1-1 today. I watched the second half of that match it and it seemed a much better effort than the match against same team and against Kiwis in a tournament a couple of months back. We were putting much more pressure on their players and defence was pretty good too. Attack and the speed still needs improvement.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Yes, better than our Hawke's Bay showing against Japan.

We played well in the 1st quarter and in patches in the last quarter, but for the rest, Japan were much better organised, passed better and generally made us look a bit silly. We remain clueless in playing the ball out of our own 23m. 1 pass and a hopeful hit was the general plan, whereas the opposition had very little problem in moving the ball around our press. Really frustrating to see the total lack of progress in this regard. Why don't our players run into position down to the baseline and the other flank or into midfield when we have a 23m free hit? Every single time, our player would take several seconds to place the ball and then look up, by which time she would be surrounded by 3 opposition players and she would simply give the ball back to them!! This happened at least 30 times...Our closing down was not great either and too many times a simple transfer across the midfield enabled Japan to find their wide players in acres of space. This is all 'coach-able', but Hawgood is incapable of working this out

As usual, the umpiring decision were almost always against us. We also contrived to lose all 50/50 challenges and also most of the 60/40 ones.

Our attacks were predictable- difficult passes down the right flank (occasionally on the left) and a hopeful whack into the D. We have really skilful players who never get the ball when they are facing the opposition goal. I'm not sure what's happened to Jaspreet Kaur, because she would provide some semblance of a PC threat and is capable of playing some aerials out of defence or at least pass at a decent speed!

The positives: we defended and tackled really well. We created decent pressure on the opposition ball carrier and generally competed hard throughout. We were helped by the fact that the Japanese weren't as physically superior to us compared to the Kiwis.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

India lost to Australia 1-2. I could not watch the match but appears to be a pretty match played by our women against strong Aussies. Wait for updated from SSP if he watched the match.