Sania Mirza - General Discussion of non-tennis matters

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sania Mirza - General Discussion of non-tennis matters

Post by gbelday »

Good to read the user comments on this article. No Sania bashing for a change. If Sania made these demands ahead of time, I don't think there's nothing wrong with it. She is not obligated to attend any functions or award ceremonies unless the terms suit her.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Great way to say no. Ask for terms that won't get accepted
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

In the meantime Sania and Hingis have reached the final of Brisbane International.... good sign before the Australian Open
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

They have thus taken their winning streak on the WTA tour to 25 matches and counting...
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Yes, need to create a thread for Sania Mirza - tournaments 2016 and update the results there.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

After recently receiving the Padma Bhushan from President Pranab Mukherjee, Sania has been named among the 100 Most Influential People in the World by TIME magazine.

Sachin Tendulkar did the write-up on Sania for TIME.
suresh

Post by suresh »

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Beautifully frank interview by Sania about her plan for 2017 season and chance of playing in Tokyo 2020.

Tennis brings new challenges every year, says Sania Mirza
The lowest point of my year was the match we lost for the bronze medal and the match before that (the semi-finals, playing for a place in the final). I cried like I haven't cried in a long time. I cried after the match, I cried even when I was doing press. I walked off the court and I wasn't able to control myself. People sometimes think because we deal with wins and losses on a daily basis that we get over them a lot easier.

There are some losses that sting more than the others. As tennis players, we don't have the luxury of taking six months to recover from a loss. I'm usually ok the next morning (after a bad loss), that's how I am as a person. There's not a lot you can do about it. We lost on Saturday (in Rio) and I didn't play a match until Wednesday in Cincinnati (if I am not wrong) because it was raining. Even when I played my first match in Cincinnati, it (the loss) was bothering me. That's a very long time, at least for me it was.

IS TOKYO 2020 A POSSIBILITY?
The only thing that crossed my mind at that point was 'this was it'. I've been to two other Olympics and I have lost, but I always knew that I was going to make it to another Olympics. It wouldn't have stung as much if we had lost in the first round or even early in the tournament. We were so close to winning a medal... It was heartbreaking.

I must not call it the lowest point because we were fourth and finishing fourth is huge. That is the best performance in the Olympics by an Indian pair (in mixed doubles). For me, it's not ok to be a runner-up. I don't like consolation prizes, that's just who I am. No disrespect to anybody, I want to win everything I play. So when I look back it was a good performance, we didn't come back with a medal, but we almost made it. We had two shots at it, but we didn't make it. At that point it was difficult to get positives.

Rohan (Bopanna) and I flew out to Cincinnati a couple of hours after we lost. On the bus from the village to the airport, which took an hour and 15 minutes, we might have said two words to each other if at all. There was nothing to say. There's not a lot you can say to each other at that time even though we were the ones who had gone through that pain together. In that moment, it's better not to say anything to each other. I switched my phone off because the worst thing is when people message you and say, 'it's ok! next time!'. That's the last thing you want to hear. It's not ok and there's no next time.

Prakash Amritraj messaged me when I made the final of Cincinnati, 'coming back like an absolute champion. That's what champions do, they bounce back. I didn't message you the last week because there was nothing I could say that would make you feel better'. I got a few athlete messages like that. Those emotions can only be understood by someone who has won and lost. What it means to be that close yet that far.

The chances of being in Tokyo 2020 are minute. Firstly I don't think my body will survive. I have issues with my knee, the same knee (left) on which I've had surgery, where I have 30 per cent less meniscus. I have torn more of my meniscus, I don't want to have surgery because I'm able to play still. It's not that I'm limping around, but I have problems. I have a growth on my right knee, I have no idea what it is. Four years is a long time. Realistically, even if I make it, I'm not going to be at my peak. That's a fact, as athletes we have to accept that we peak at a certain time. I may still be in a position to compete, but will I be in a position to give myself a chance to win a medal? Probably not.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I think she's too pessimistic about 2020. It is appropriate to take it one year at a time, but as long as she's playing as well as she is now, I don't see any reason for her to retire. She will be in contention for two medals in Tokyo, because Karman, Pranjala or Zeel will be a world class doubles partner by then as well.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

PKBasu wrote:I think she's too pessimistic about 2020.
We think you think most people are too pessimistic about most things... :D :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Turning it around, are there any medal winners in doubles or mixed who won at an age over 33 for the first time? If she could not win in her prime and LP-MB could not do it in doubles either, chances we will get a medal from the current crop is 0 (juniors excepted).
Varma

Post by Varma »

I think that was a very honest interview where Sania was being nothing but realistic. Four years is a very long time. She finished No.1 two years in a row. Even if she is physically as fit as she is now, it has to be seen if she will be motivated enough to play on for such a longer period. Does anyone else here remember her saying she would like to have kids not too late? If I remember right, she said this long before she got married.

- Varma
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Happy 30th Birthday to Sania Mirza, the world's #1 doubles player now (at the end of the year) just as she was at the beginning of the year!!

I think this is a good opportunity to look back on the marvellous 12 years Sania has had on the WTA tour since winning the wildcard playoff for the AO at the age of 18 (actually being runner-up there to Li Na, who was slightly older, but eventually didn't need that wildcard because her ranking enabled her to get into the main draw). The five years in the top-100 of singles (much of that period in the top-50) was such an exhilarating time for us, although it was plagued with injuries to her (3 surgeries, and 5 major injury breaks during those 5 years). She wisely chose to concentrate on doubles, and rose to the very top of the women's doubles pole. What a singular pioneer she has been in Indian women's tennis :notworthy:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Update on injury issues:

Sania has two separate injuries to the knee: (a) jumper's knee, for which she has been told to rest the knee for a further two months (which, by my count, means a total of 6 months since her time away from the tour began), and (b) a bone spur in the knee (which may require surgery, which she is trying to avoid).

The jumper's knee is still painful, so she is adhering to the doctor's advice to give it further complete rest. If the bone spur becomes less painful along the way, she will probably try to get back to the practice court. Otherwise, surgery may yet be necessary :-(
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

It's a boy. Our girl doing well. Congrats Sania and Shoaib!