Vote for your favorite PM candidate for 2014 Indian election

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.

If you were eligible to vote for a PM in the Indian elections today, who would get your vote?

Poll ended at Sat May 03, 2014 8:20 pm

Narendra Modi
59%
Rahul Gandhi/Congress Leader
9%
Mamata Banerjee
No votes
Mayawati
No votes
Nitish Kumar
5%
Arvind Kejriwal
9%
Jayalalitha
5%
Mulayam Singh Yadav
No votes
Naveen Patnaik
No votes
Anyone but Modi
14%

Total votes: 22

kujo
Authors
Authors

Re: Vote for your favorite PM candidate for 2014 Indian elec

Post by kujo »

NDA majority is fine. BJP with sole majority is okay as well....

There is a lot of positives to be said about a decisive, predictable Indian government in foreign and domestic policies Versus an indecisive, unpredictable and ultimately useless governance.

Good governance is all that matters and be gone with the decade of Congress's "indecision mania" rule. Every dip or negative or even stagnation of GDP growth during the past decade, sets India that much farther back in earning it's rightful place in the world order.

Think of GDP growth as your retirement savings, the sooner you start saving and let the magic of compounding interest work, the better off you are. 8% GDP growth year over year for a country will result in an economy that grows 210+ times in just one person's lifetime (70 years). Imagine that!

Now, consider a scenario where you flat-line GDP growth for 7 years of that 70 year period (just 10% of the time frame): you end up missing 90 times the initial GDP!!

As for their PM candidate - not so sure - my 6 in a row coin toss means that it indeed is going to be Modi.

ps:
1.08^70 = 218.6
1.08^63 = 127.5
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I am a bit surprised that only 21 people voted. On one hand, this is probably the number of serious contributors of the forum. On the other hand, I was thinking that it is so easy to take part in the poll here and this is a defining moment in Indian politics, so many more would vote. I am also surprised at the total non-Modi votes in this mini-poll, but it's good to know that democracy is truly alive in India.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I am still thinking that all these poll pundits in India could go wrong, and that it won't be such a landslide win or anything for Modi. He my not even find a way to form a government in the end and we will have some toothless consensus PM of no power, with BJP sitting in the opposition again. Just a premonition, I guess, but it scares me. Jay
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Super likely; the opinion and exit polls in India have had a saffron bias in the past two LS elections; and both times Congress did a lot better than was anticipated.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yeah, many of the poll pundits are now talking of 300+ seats for NDA. Difficult to believe that to happen. Hope they at least get past 250-260 with pre-poll NDA. In that case , getting 15-20 more to form the government will not be difficult.

The worst scenario would be NDA getting only about 200-210, Cong getting 130-140 & others getting 190-200. Very difficult for anyone to form a government in this case. Others will have a lot of those who cannot be together ( AIDMK-DMK, Trinamool-left, SP-BSP, TRS- YSR Cong etc.). So, even getting a third front prime minister supported by Cong. from outside will be difficult.

I hope that does not happen.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

bhagatghavri

Post by bhagatghavri »

My vote will go to Narendra Modi.