Sultan Azlan Shah tournament

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: Sultan Azlan Shah tournament

Post by ssp »

Sardar, Birendra and Sunil have been rested for this tournament. The team looks quite weak and we will do well to avoid 5-6th place play off. I'm OK with experimentation in a non-ranking tournament, but would have liked to rest (forever!!) Dharamvir & Danish. Instead the latter has been made captain. What do the selectors see in these 2 guys?
Also not convinced about Akashdeep, Satbir or Gurmail. All these players lose possession too easily and their trapping on the run is not great. They could learn from 17 yr old Mandeep! Pleased to see Amit Rohidas in the team.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

In a shocking development, Hockey India withdraws from Sultan Azlan Shah Cup after the Sports Authority of India (SAI) refused to bear the travel expenditure of the national team.

Shocking to see that HI can't afford to send players, I doubt ... :mad:
Also what about main sponsor, Cairn India?

SAI refuses to bear airfare, India withdraw from Azlan Shah
Sathya

Post by Sathya »

Jaydeep, now SAI agrees to bear the airfare after Government intervention. Our team's travel is confirmed.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/others/ ... 57096.html
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

So, if we rely on government for things such as airfare, dietary provisions, etc., how can FIH or IOA etc. dictate that there be no government interference in sports matters? Can someone explain please?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

It has always been one of the unexplainable realities there. The government and the taxpayers' money are direly needed in sports, but the moment the government asks them to do anything right, these federations will cry uncle and point to the Olympic charter crap. It has always bugged me. Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

True, but HI also having ample money in their bank account after successfully organizing Hockey India League ... Moreover as per Sports Ministry report HI overshoot annual budget.
Sports secretary Pradip Kumar Deb said that the ministry has cleared the trip after the case was forwarded by SAI, which had refused to sanction the trip citing budget issues.

"We have an annual budget of Rs5.94 crore for Hockey India, but they crossed it and we have already spent Rs11.27 crore. So SAI didn't clear the case and forwarded it to us. I have cleared the trip since Sultan Azlan Shah Cup is a top tournament and the team will get good exposure."
Ankit Desai

Post by Ankit Desai »

Tournament will start from tomorrow. Various reports suggest that Baljit Saini accompany the team. I won't be surprised if I will see Saini calling shoot from the dug out.

First match is against Oz. Good luck.

-Ankit
ssp

Post by ssp »

I'm not expecting anything from this squad. We look pretty weak apart from Rupinder Pal, Kothajit & Manpreet. The keepers can be brilliant one day and let in 2 soft goals the very next day. I hope Amit Rohidas grabs this chance.
We had a young team in 2008 as well and did much better than expected to get to the final. Quite a few of the youngsters from that team have been 'lost' in the chaotic selection system that we have. Let's hope for some good results from this team too.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote:It has always been one of the unexplainable realities there. The government and the taxpayers' money are direly needed in sports, but the moment the government asks them to do anything right, these federations will cry uncle and point to the Olympic charter crap. It has always bugged me. Jay
The government is also to blame. The government can say that the money is available with strings attached. I am not interfering in anything but if you want my money then you need to do this and that. But the government does not really care.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I think that is what the government tries to do, but that is enough for the federations to start their BS about Olympic charter... Jay
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

India lost 3-4 per a Zee Sports news feed.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/others/ ... 57761.html
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

3-4 against Australia may not be too bad a result if Australia turns out to be the best team in the tournament.
Ankit Desai

Post by Ankit Desai »

Team did alright in defense but lack play in mid field and no one there to feed forwards. In second half little feed were there but those with long passes from defense, which were at some occasions found intercepted. In second half there was hunger for goal which was lacking in first half. Nobbs adopts defensive approach against Australia, which is passive mind set according to me.

Coach also said second half first 10 min was crucial and that something to learn upon.

-Ankit
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

India trail 1-2 against Korea, 10 mins left to play in the match....
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote:I think that is what the government tries to do, but that is enough for the federations to start their BS about Olympic charter... Jay
Then the government should not give them the money. If you play hardball a few times, then everything will be smooth later on. Kind of like our policy of negotiating with terrorists. If you take a hardline and not deal with highjackers, then things will be better off in the long run. Of course, how a plane refueled in Amritsar and then got off again is a bizarre, shameful incident.