Sumit Nagal thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Peter
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by Peter »

So K. Uchida the 8th seed at the US Open Jrs who beat Sumit in the first round took out the top seed K. Coppejans in the QF today. The only set Uchida lost in 4 rounds was against Sumit.

And Sumit is a tender 15, playing boys 3 years older than him. By the law of transitivity, we have a potential top 50 player (dare i say) on our hands.
prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by prashanthm »

The fact that Uchida lost his only set to Sumit sounds promising, thanks for the info Peter.

Was expecting Sumit to follow this up by playing a tourn in NA and he is set to be playing a Grade-2 U18 Ranking tournament at Montreal next week :goodluck: He may even be seeded...
I don't know what this affinity he or his team has towards Canada, but it seems to be working well with him..... :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I suppose he has some training base in Canada, probably might be some relatives staying there are a lot of videos on youtube where he is seen practising with Canadian players. Hope he countinues his improvement there.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

preetsingh1981 wrote:Any update on how he did in the main draw?
Sorry preet, I thought I had approved your post earlier (the first post needs a moderator approval), but just saw that it was still sitting unapproved... Anyway, welcome to the forum.

The scores are usually posted in the thread for the particular tournament threads when multiple Indians are at any event. Here is the thread for US Open where you will find Sumit's score updates and results. He fell in the main draw. US Open thread

Jay
vk2052

Post by vk2052 »

Peter top 50 is under statement, as next year automatically he will be around 50. I am sure the guy will achieve some thing what only Yuki, Karan and sanam have achieved- a minimum top 10 ranking in the world.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

My guess is Peter means the ATP tour top-50 which LP and Somdev have come close to but we've not had anyone get there after Ramesh.
Peter

Post by Peter »

arjun2761 wrote:My guess is Peter means the ATP tour top-50 which LP and Somdev have come close to but we've not had anyone get there after Ramesh.
Thanks, Arjun. That's exactly what i meant but was not clear enough. Very heartened to see Sumit emerge. Now we have to patiently wait 6-7 years for him to steadily rise up to the top echelons of Men's tennis.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki was precisely this talented at a similar age, and I daresay (despite this week's result) that he is on track to make top-100 within the next half year and top-50 in a couple of years. With Sumit and Yuki we have the potential basis of a proper World Group Davis Cup team in 4-5 years time...
vk2052

Post by vk2052 »

Yes I agree with you PKB. Sumit is really a potential top 100 ATP player, and may be even better. But he has a long way to go to reach that level.
preetsingh1981

Post by preetsingh1981 »

Hopefully Sumit can reach the top 100 ATP level one day...a family friend of ours who used to play under 14 AITA Tennis and is friends with Sumit explained me his development and how he got so good at such a young age. He was actually found in a Mahesh Bhupathi talent hunt sponsored program scheme back in 2007. A coach from Canada named Bobby Mahall (not sure anout the sp.) who is indo-canadian was hired in 2008 to work with Sumit and others in Bangalore in the program. When the program lost it's funding in 2010, the Canadian coach moved back to Canada taking Sumit along with him. I wondered why he is playing canadians so much. Mahesh's role is to manage him and i have been told has already arranged some deals for him from Nike and Wilson. Pretty neat story, hopefully he keeps improving and we develop more Sumit Nagal's. Will be interesting to follow his development :goodluck: not sure what happened to the other kids in that sponsored program.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Sumit is at a career high #111 in this week's rankings and is sure to do well at the Montreal Jr World Ranking Event....... :clap:

Montreal Jr - G2 - Hard

Sumit started off well with easy wins in Singles & Doubles...... :clap:

[R1] (6) Sumit NAGAL (IND,111) d. Nicholas C. CRYSTAL (USA,290) 62 61

[R1] (3) Sumit NAGAL (IND) / Naoki NAKAGAWA (JPN) d. XXX (XXX) / Justin GHAVAMI (CAN) 61 62

:goodluck: for Singles R2 & Doubles QF.......
One more win each in Singles & Doubles will see him crack the top-100.... :D

[R2] (6) Sumit NAGAL (IND,111) v. Thomas Adriano TENREIRO (VEN,335)

[QF] (3) Sumit NAGAL (IND) / Naoki NAKAGAWA (JPN) v. Christian CARGILL (BAH) / Alp HOROZ (TUR)
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Montreal Jr - G2 - Hard

Sumit lost his R2 Singles match in a tough 3-setter... :-( , but made it to the SF in doubles with a straight set win....... :clap:

This gets him past Arjun Kadhe and makes him the highest ranked Indian Jr, after turning 15 just 1 month ago..., and very close to the top-100... :clap: :goodluck:

[R2] (6) Sumit NAGAL (IND,111) l. Thomas Adriano TENREIRO (VEN,335) 46 63 36

[QF] (3) Sumit NAGAL (IND) / Naoki NAKAGAWA (JPN) d. Christian CARGILL (BAH) / Alp HOROZ (TUR) 75 64

Against a pair who have defeated 2nd seed Canadian pair 17-15 in the STB..... :eek: That must have been nerve-wracker....., I am glad I didn't have to do comm for that.. :D
:goodluck: for Sumit & Nakagawa against that pair......
WAIT, one half of that team is the same boy who defeated Sumit in Singles R2. So, time to pack some revenge... :goodluck:

[SF] (3) Sumit NAGAL (IND) / Naoki NAKAGAWA (JPN) v. Rogelio SILLER (MEX) / Thomas Adriano TENREIRO (VEN)
vk2052

Post by vk2052 »

Should Sumit turn pro when he turns 18 or should he join us univ ? Any opinions?
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

He'll probably join Univ and practice in Canada......, but I hope he becomes a teen sensation...... :D
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

vk2052 wrote:Should Sumit turn pro when he turns 18 or should he join us univ ? Any opinions?
It depends on where he is when he turns 18. If he is in the junior top-5 by August of the year when he turns 17, and has sponsorship to be in a good academy as the base, he doesn't have to go to college. If he is "only" in the junior top25 or so (I am pretty sure he will get at least there) and does not have serious sponsorship (enough to pay for several months of stay at a foreign academy), he should go to a US college for 2 years. It can't hurt at all. But his case is a bit different than other Indians' because he already has a base in Canada and probably has sponsorship also. That is just my opinion. Jay