Sania Mirza - General Discussion of non-tennis matters

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sania Mirza - General Discussion of non-tennis matters

Post by Sandeep »

You are right, for some reason Vishnu didn't get enough support from GVK. Partly because he was never known to the GVKs as he was coached by C.V.Nagaraj at power tennis academy. As a junior Vishnu didn't have any spectacular results and his selection of tournaments to play was also dubious, he was never known to the GVKs I guess. Where as Sania used to practice on GVK courts even after she became extremely popular and visits the place even today whenever she wants to practice on clay courts. The bonding of Sania and GVK was something rare and special in tennis circles, he used to treat her like a daughter and I still remember him personally coming down to the stadium to watch Sania play in the WTA tournament that was held in Hyderabad.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Actually, Vishnu *did* have some pretty good results in the domestic junior circuit. I was very high on him based on that, and even emailed somebody at AITA one time about why he was not getting consideration for their Asian tour team or something like that. The reply I got seemed to indicate that people thought he was kinda soft in his attitude or that he might not have the fire in the belly (well, not in so many words or that dismissively or anything - but the hint I got was just about like that). I am not sure how he got that reputation when he was 16 or so, but I have followed him all along and have never really got that feeling. I think I do have some sort of a sixth sense based on results I see, that senses the "fire in the belly" and focus of a player - and Vishnu never seemed to fall in the concern catageory on that, at least in my mind. Somehow, not a lot of people believed in him, it seems. It is also very unusual in India because players with height and serve almost never get neglected much. But it is true that Vishnu did not get the notice he deserved, for whatever reason.

Jay
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Actually, Vishnu *did* have some pretty good results in the domestic junior circuit
Jay, Vishnu did have some good domestic results but for some reason his tournament selection for ITF tournaments was pretty bad. He hardly toured abroad and even disappeared in between!
The reply I got seemed to indicate that people thought he was kinda soft in his attitude or that he might not have the fire in the belly (well, not in so many words or that dismissively or anything
Jay if you remember we had this discussion long time back and I guess you mentioned about people in AITA having doubts about the genuineness of his age rather than fire in the belly.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I don't remember hearing questions on Vishnu's age, though I myself once wondered seeing his pucture in The Hindu at age 16. If I remember correctly, I was told there wasn't much doubt on that (except the standard little concern on all AP ages, I suppose). His results later proved that he was not doing well particularly because of age or anything. You usually can figure out if the age is legit by the time they get to 19 or so in stated age. I have to check my old emails but I am fairly sure that I didn't get concerns from anywhere about his age and that something vague like "he is a bit soft" was the comment I got then.... As proved later, none of it seemed true about Vishnu. Jay
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

"I like her"
"Like?"
How long have they been married now?! :)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Here is a news article - AITA defends Naseema's appointment as women's team manager

What I always find interesting, these days, in any newspaper article about Sania, good or bad, is the amount of pure venom directed at her in the "response by readers" at the bottom. So many guys go on and on about how she should go to Pakistan. Makes me cringe everytime. Are my countrymen this low, really? It is not just this article. Anything about Sania seems to bring out all these crazy responses. Heck, even in our forums, I can see how she almost never gets the benefit of doubt in *anything*. Frankly, it has been mostly so only since her marriage (however hard many here would tell me it isn't so). The history of posts here would clearly show how things changed ever since that.

People just gang up on her as to have done something wrong in anything, while she has hardly done anything wrong when it comes to her duties for India. Always showed up for us. Always played, even while injured, and sometimes by risking serious injury (remember that final doubles match in Fed Cup to avoid the ignominy of relegation, when she got up half hour before the match and shocked Rico by saying she was going to play when everybody thought she was in shape at all to play?). Even in this mess going on right now between men, she is one who placed no conditions on the country even if she made her preferences known... In fact she has never done anything that I can remember as unpatriotic. That is unless you consider falling in love with a foreigner as unpatriotic.

I am as patriotic as it gets, but really, seeing the response shown to Sania these days by so many Indians, if I were close enough to advise, I would have told her to change citizenship to some other country - may be her husband's because the people out there will welcome her as God's gift to them. The country of her birth that she calls hers is just not worth the hassle. Frankly.

Jay
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, some of our countrymen are this low. The media and maybe the current culture hates Pakistan. For good reason, sometimes. Terrorism and all that are very valid reasons. And, people cannot make the distinction between country and individual when it is on paper or electronic forum. When Indians see a Pakistani in person, they ware warm and civil, as are individual Pakistanis to Indian visitors. It is sad, but, Sania has to just ignore the jingoistic venom thrown at her. She is a brilliant young lady. We are proud of her.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

I think the people who write such comments would be the ones who don't have anything positive to say about anybody or the ones trying to take out their frustration on people who have achieved a lot more than what they could not even dream of..... :kookoo:

I believe that Sania is handling this extremely well... :clap:
jic

Post by jic »

This topic has been discussed at length in Tournament thread about the Olympics. And yes this is a "fan" forum for Ms. Mirza. But I don't see anything venomnous in what people have posted in response to the article - at least as far as Sania is concerned. Calling Leander names is low indeed. But with respect to Sania's Mom being the Manager of the women's team - that is a freakin' joke. In the other discussion, I was under the impression that her is trip being paid for by AITA under the pretext of being a physio/masseuse for Sania, which in itself is laughable but I accepted that with mild irritation. But to pass her off as the Manager is ridiculous. And I'm very glad that people are calling it out. I like it when rank and file Indians speak up/out against the establishment - justified or not. Debate is healthy. This needs to be questioned. And as far as I'm concerned, Sania has done everything in her career for Sania, first and foremost. I don't believe for a nano-second that she showed up and played injured because she is so in love with India.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Actually, she once said that because of all the controversies in India (skirt etc.), she would not play in India (2005 WTA when Venus and Serena showed up?) or something similar. Anyway, I am glad too that this is being picked up and reported. Yes, I draw a line at linking this to Shoaib and Pakistan as a speculative angle and those comments will be tasteless. But, everything else is a fair game.

And today, Manisha came out talking about planning etc. Why couldn't she be the manager of the tennis team? Keep in mind, Naseema only goes to events when Sania is playing. Is she really going to get towels for Rushmi? I doubt it. There is just no way to justify the expense by taxpayers. It has nothing to do with what men got. That doesn't make this justified.
jic

Post by jic »

I would think Nirupama Vaidyanathan would have made an excellent Manager for the ladies. But then, if cost were a concern, then I think S.P. Misra could have managed the entire team.
sanjay8886
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by sanjay8886 »

Jay, the only reason she would not take citizenship of Pak is because she will loose all sponsorship money. Otherwise, by all means, she would have been a Paki citizen. Where is the future in that country? Forget about sports. It is all about money here and less to do about patriotism or anything like that. And all those who have so much love for Pakistan, either you guys are too ignorant ( or rather want to forget), or too diplomatic..either way, I cannot love that country who has been bleeding India and has been harboring terrorists and promoting them at any opportunity they get.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Whoa! Let's nip this in the bud. I don't think we should denigrate this SPORTS India forum into a political discussion. Sanjay, what Sania is doing or not doing as far as her citizenship is concerned is rampant speculation on your part. So, let's just not go there. If she ever stated this, then it would be fair game, but at this point it is just innuendo. Thanks.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote:And today, Manisha came out talking about planning etc. Why couldn't she be the manager of the tennis team?
I was the first one to mention Manisha as the only other person I thought was qualified to manage the women, after Niru. But I said then itself that there was no way we could get Manisha to do that. Because she is the CEO of the Mittal Champions trust and has a packed schedule of things to do for a whole host of people that the trust supports in shooting and other sports (but she would probably run down to some of the tennis events here and there, as she loves her sport, and would help if she can!). Please don't just say things before considering some details like I know you are able to.
Keep in mind, Naseema only goes to events when Sania is playing. Is she really going to get towels for Rushmi? I doubt it. There is just no way to justify the expense by taxpayers. It has nothing to do with what men got. That doesn't make this justified.
Well, whatever playing or practising Rushmi does at the Olympics will only be with Sania, and so Naseema doesn't have to go to events when Sania is not playing, if she has been asked to look after the girls. You and I will just disagree if you don't agree that tennis players need any support staff at all (because if this lady doesn't go, they won't have it, in the women's locker room). Why Niru wasn't asked to go, is all I will complain about. Once she wasn't selected and I know that Manisha has other work, I know of no other woman out there who can support the two girls as well as a Naseema, period. You can agree or not, I don't care anymore - as I am sure as hell not changing any opinions around here :)

Jay