Tennis at the London Olympics 2012

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

wrestlinglife

Re: Tennis at the London Olympics 2012

Post by wrestlinglife »

If any sport contingent needs an older figure to help keep calm, it is our non-fancied tennis contingent!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Even more waste of taxpayer money.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

ankit1407 wrote:
rajorshi wrote:Do they need a captain? Does each discipline have a captain at the Olympics?
kids need captain :)
Exactly!
ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by ajay »

kujo wrote:
ankit1407 wrote:
rajorshi wrote:Do they need a captain? Does each discipline have a captain at the Olympics?
kids need captain :)
Exactly!
I agree! Our players behavior is no better than kids :)
prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by prashanthm »

ajay wrote:I agree! Our players behavior is no better than kids :)
Looks like an insult to the kids I know of :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I think Non playing captain is a concept which is unique to davis cup which is a team event. In Olympics these are essantially indvidual events although they are representing India.

It would be Ok if he had been designated as manager or something & I hope S.P. Mishra is viewed as someone impartial between the 2 groups. Else , it will create more problems than solving the existing ones.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I think it is one of those word-games from India. There is no "captain" business in Olympics. He will be designated as a manager or something in the end. Why do they keep thinking of finessing these things even when it doesn't really matter? Anyway, SP Mishra is fine as a cool head out there, though he annoyed me by reacting to the male-chauvinism comment by Sania in a way that either demonstrated that he had no clue what she was talking about, or that he was deliberately acting dumb :) ... Jay
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is the latest from Sania on preparing for Olympics -

I'll play with anyone for my country: Sania Mirza

Good that she states again that she will play with anyone but still does not take Leander's name anywhere in the interview even after it is clear now that she will pair up with Lee at London.
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

At the same time, I must say that what was happening immediately before and during Wimbledon was creating unnecessary pressure for us all. Despite winning the French Open mixed doubles, it was as if we needed to do well in Wimbledon to prove ourselves. It was unfair and was creating unhealthy pressure, which is always very difficult to deal with. There's no doubt it impacted upon our performance.
Knew that all along. Otherwise no team in the world can beat them like that.

To see the national flag go up while standing on the podium is the proudest moment in an athlete's life and I will want to experience that for myself in London. Please just keep praying for the entire Indian contingent. We have a really good chance of doing well at these Games and it will provide a huge fillip to Indian Olympic sport if we are all able to perform to potential.
Way to go, Sania! :goodluck:

P.S. Here is another article on womens sports in general http://www.thehindu.com/arts/magazine/a ... 613076.ece
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Mediocre players making excuses. That is all this is. I would rather not depend on the largesses of the ITF to qualify for the Olympics and hope that we develop better players who qualify directly. Certainly not the way to go in my books.
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

Didn't want to comment on this crap. But I know nobody else will. This has become Leander forum now and anyone who abuses other players are applauded.
And well, Sania is the only noteworthy ''mediocre'' female player we have been able to produce ever. So show some respect. Glorify whoever you want, but don't abuse others.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am not abusing anybody. If anything, you are the one who is using terms like "crap" and getting personal. Sania is a mediocre player now. And she is making excuses. If you want to argue facts, be my guest. I don't care to glorify anybody or abuse anybody, but, I will not glorify mediocre players. Whoever thinks calling mediocre players mediocre is an abuse, then they need to get their head checked. Sania is the best woman tennis player we have produced but she has had a mediocre career at best. Period.
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

If Sania can play even 75% of Vesnina at Olympic Leander would bring us another medal..I am praying for Hesh and Rohan but the real chance if at all we have is in the mixed where our greatest doubles is the part of it..About Sania and mediocrity..well If she plays well with Leander and bring us the honor I would forget everything and also the fact that she indeed a medicre player..No doubt..
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

prasen9 wrote:I am not abusing anybody. If anything, you are the one who is using terms like "crap" and getting personal. Sania is a mediocre player now. And she is making excuses. If you want to argue facts, be my guest. I don't care to glorify anybody or abuse anybody, but, I will not glorify mediocre players. Whoever thinks calling mediocre players mediocre is an abuse, then they need to get their head checked. Sania is the best woman tennis player we have produced but she has had a mediocre career at best. Period.
Check my head? Haha! To think that calling your post ''crap'' was ''personal''!
And of course I was forgetting that in tennis forum everyone but Lee, are ''mediocre''. Sorry for protesting. If a 12 time GS champ can be condescended upon, whats Sania- a mere 2 time mixed champ?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

rajorshi wrote: Check my head? Haha! To think that calling your post ''crap'' was ''personal''!
No, crap was said to my post. Whereas when you said, "don't abuse others". That was what I consider personal. If you want to check your head, you can. That is your free prerogative. In my post, I did not say anything about you. I said it about whoever thinks calling mediocre players mediocre is an abuse need to get their head checked. It is applicable to anybody who thinks that and not any individual. Perhaps, an English and/or logic class is in order if you do not understand the sentence.
And of course I was forgetting that in tennis forum everyone but Lee, are ''mediocre''. Sorry for protesting. If a 12 time GS champ can be condescended upon, whats Sania- a mere 2 time mixed champ?
We have not had a world-class tennis great after Vijay Amritraj, imho. Leander and Bhupathi are great doubles players. Every other Indian player has been mediocre including Leander as a singles player. Mediocre players make excuses after losing.