Trivalley University and Indian students being radio-tagged

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Trivalley University and Indian students being radio-tagged

Post by Kumar »

Looks like a university was accused of immigration fraud and 95% of its students are indians...And the fact that some of this students were radio-tagged is stirring up lot of emotion...

Tri-Valley University called 'sham,' accused of immigration fraud
According to the complaint, more than 95 percent of students were from India.
I am trying to understand what happened here.. and would like guys like jay to shed some light on the illegal things done by the university.. And how the honest students could be easily duped by this system and be considered not as victim but as perpetrator? or is this a case of students going willing along with a ffraud?

There are quiet a few links including a short video in NDTV interviewing some students,
Interview
Atithee

Re: Trivalley University and Indian students being radio-tag

Post by Atithee »

Kumar, I was thinking of posting this in the forum as well.

I can assure you that while the Indian media/Indian govt. is making a big deal out of this, most students willingly participated in this fraud.

Most "students" knew very well that this is an "on paper only" university which will allow them to "illegally" obtain "temporary" work permission while not 'studying" anything.

The big deal is being made out of why students who were studying at an US govt accredited univ are being penalized. The issue is not whether the univ is accredited; rather, the issue is that it agreed to commit a crime and students willingly participated in it. Everyone knows what OPT and CPT are. The students knew damn well that they are violating their visa rules but are now choosing to blame the university (who does deserve the blame too).

There may be a few students who were caught unaware but I can tell you that any Indian student who is claiming that they didn't know are 99.999% liars. In fact, one had to make special efforts to locate and get admitted to this unknown university (I should know because I live and work not far from it and I had never heard about this despite the fact that I am 100+% up to date on these matters).

Ankle monitoring is shameful and may or may not fit the punishment for the crime, but don't shed too many tears for these "students." I feel ashamed of this whole thing living in the bay area. These folks give India and Indians a bad name.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Kumar wrote:I am trying to understand what happened here.. and would like guys like jay to shed some light on the illegal things done by the university..
Well, I cannot say a thing about it, because I teach at perhaps the most ethical of university systems in the whole world (in fact, it *is* the most ethical and democratically run university in the world - the Univ. of California). Within that system, I happen to teach in the most conservative and old-fashioned school, UC Irvine. So, I am the last one to talk of any unethical practices. Frankly, I cannot point to a single unethical thing I have experienced at UC Irvine. None whatsoever. Except one professor who has kept a website for an Indian sport on a computer server (which the univ did ask about, and was given the answer that it is totally not-for-profit and was to help US universities recruit good sportsmen from India) :) :)

Specifically on the immigration matter, at least at UCI, it is impossible to do anything crazy. Well, they still do trust the faculty's written assurance on funds being available to support a student when they prepare I-20 showing financial support. I have had a couple of cases when the funds did not materialize and I had to scramble etc. Yes, technically, if a professor wants to really do some scams, I suppose one can. I could for instance offer financial assitance to 5 students asking for $10K each. That is uotright fraud of course, and if the students don't tell anybody, it may go unnoticed as long as they come here and just pay the fees and enroll. The moment they default on paying the fees, the UCI offices will come after me and ask why my promise to support them was not happening (and I will be up s**t creek soon after!)
And how the honest students could be easily duped by this system and be considered not as victim but as perpetrator? or is this a case of students going willing along with a ffraud?
My thinking is along the lines of what Atithee is saying. Don't tell me that a large majority of these students did not know what they were getting into. Quite possibly these are students who wouldn't be admitted in any university anybody has heard of, or they would not go to that place, giving money. So, except for some very few odd cases, they deserve no sympathy for their "dreams being shattered" and all that, like the ambulance-chasing Indian media says. When you get an unfair advantage from a paper university over many others (who can't find a way to get a US degree), they know it - and for that they deserve no sympathy. Nobody gets sympathy for believing that there is a free lunch - because most of the time they know that the lunch is not really free and that they are part of a scam that makes the lunch free.

Having said that, the question is not whether they are victims or not. What crime have they committed, is the issue. The students seem to have broken no law, if the university had the approval to grant visas and the students did nothing to help the university circumvent any laws (as far as we can see). So, though I am not shedding tears for the students, they shouldn't be victimized, and the ankle-tags are over the line in my view.

I am just mad at the flaws in the US immigration system that causes these students to be granted visas to come here. That from an IIT grad who had full financial support from the Univ. of Texas and was rejected twice for visas for no reasons back in 1985 (except perhaps looking like a clueless malayalee country bumpkin)! .. Looks like they did smell a fish within a year about this TriValley U and started doing something about it - so I guess I will give the US authorities credit for that. But it shouldn't have come to this.

More seriously, I have to think that there are others doing the same scam like this Susan Su (who cannot even seem to speak English at all, and she is running a university here!). In fact TVU seems to be particularly careless about how they did things, if they did something so easy to catch as giving the same address for 100s of students. How can that escape US immigration folks' attention? Ther has got to be paper universities who are doing this scam to perfection out there. It seems like a pretty easy scam, to me - if with just a list of 30 or 40 professors, without much of even a building and hardly any students, you could get permission to grant I-20s like TVU got two years back.

Another side of the issue is with some of the professors at these paper universities. By the way there are a lot of Indian who claim to be PhDs and to be professors who do this stuff in the US. In the past I have even checked up on some of the people I know in social circles who use "Dr" and "Prof" and have seen some shocking results too. But that's another matter....

But once again, it is the one-sided bandwagon coverage of issues by Indian media that just drives me mad most!

Jay
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I will tell you what the students' crime is by using an exaggerated example. Let's say a company recruits you to a pharma job here in the US (legally albeit with nefarious purposes in mind). Then they ask you to become a drug mule for them. You knowingly become one and get caught. Well, you are to be blamed to a large extent even if you were told those were legit drug samples you are carrying.

No student can claim OPT and CPT (as the names imply) can be availed during the course of study and no student can claim that they attend classes online only (as no online univ would be allowed to issue I-20s). These students knew damn well what they were doing, they knew about the illegal nature of their jobs, and it was their intention to commit fraud. Bar a few, they deserve what they are getting.

I know there are many more fake Indian students out here. Fake degrees, fake resumes, fake certifications, fake social security cards, fake marriage certificates, fake birth certificates, fake passports, I have seen them all for the lure of the almighty $. Sorry to say, but Indians excel at this high tech fraud.

I have no sympathy for them. Just makes me hang my head in shame. And you have to see their behavior in public to believe it. Absolutely no civic sense, jabbering at the top of their voices during entire hour of commute time in the train (an Indian specialty), not taking care of simple hygiene, etc. You can easily tell the legit ones from the shady ones, and there are way too many of the latter. Man, it makes me sick. They think they are super smart but they are fooling no one. Not me, not any American. You think I'm mad? Damn right. I am.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Some hilarious items in these articles. Students didn't know what they were doing was illegal! This has even a lower probability than India winning the football world cup in the next 20 years. Enjoy the director's responses in these articles.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/tvu-t ... s/744989/0
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/28/ic ... -illegals/

These are must read to understand why this couldn't be a surprise to anyone:
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tabloids ... %99-go-407
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 393658.cms

BTW, I do not doubt for a minute that the two Indians at TVU, in full partnership with Susan, hatched this scheme to make the easiest money anyone has ever made.
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

Atithee,

Got to agree with a whole lot of what you are saying about us Indians. It is difficult bringing up kids in this society where ethical values just don't exist. I am not talking about corruption by politicians/businessman but by ordinary people (who like to complain about the politicians etc.). All I need to do is to give a take home exam or graded assignment as happened to me a couple of months ago -- I will get multiple copies of the same garbage. I have not followed the trivalley business closely but I assure you the students knew what they were getting into i.e., a virtual university.

Suresh
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I am spending way too much time on this, but here is a thread on an immigration lawyer's forum page that will open your eyes (if you do not believe what I've been saying) regarding this university. Read for yourself how a lone crusader puts the facts and how TVU's own agents rant against him -- until the inevitable happened.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthrea ... sity/page1
http://forums.immigration.com/showthrea ... sity-fraud

The problem is that this is one of many such operations in the US. The religious nuts here have strong lobbies that allow these sham universities to propser under religious exemption disguise.

BTW, if you think the univs are bad, just look at the list of Indian immigration lawyers in the country. Most all of them advertise in dubious publications basically telling people seeking loopholes how to game the system. Even now, there are more fake well-wishing lawyers, ready to make a killing, posting sympathetic messages on internet forums. One has even started a petition to help the TVU students! It is too bad, genuine people who need not pay a dime to anyone for going through the systematic process, end up funding these folks just because they are afraid of having their dream ruined. They need not be -- If they have done everything by the book, there is no reason to employ an immigration lawyer. Ever.

To illustrate what kind of immigration lawyers lurk around, consider this. There must be a rule that any non-lawyers (aka immigration consultants) advertising their services have to state in their ad that they are not attorneys in the US (the ABA must have used its muscle to get this implemented). Just look at the number of these immigration consultants' ads in the local Indian magazines (whose standard is another topic of discussion). They take out full page ads with a tiny font required caveat in some corner that only legal-eagles can spot.

This country has been spoiled by the schemers all over the world. What a shame! The most open and trusting system has been raped and soon only the carcass would be left. The US politicians see this happening and are well aware but they seem to only care about somehow funding the social security of their generation. Otherwise, I see no reason why they would let this happen.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Completely agree with what Atithee has to say. What is outrageous is the way Indian government is reacting without even knowing the details and why US had to radio tag the students. They should have first discussed with US authorities on why this has happened before issuing statements that Indian students were mistreated and all. The story was first unearthed by a Telugu channel (TV9) and I thought it was another piece of sensational journalism but was aghast when I saw the same story being carried over in the national media and S.M.Krishna condemning the issue.

I don't think all the students were radio tagged, the one's who were radio tagged must have done something really bad/unlawful. There are thousands of students who are working illegally (off campus jobs) in USA (even in completely ethical and big universities), not everyone is radio tagged. Our government should go into the core of the issue and try to solve it rather than casually condemn it. I can bet there are several (not just one) such universities in United Kingdom! USA might not have many but there is definitely something wrong with what is going on in the UK. If I know it I am sure our government have the knowledge of such universities in UK, but nothing is being done about it. No point in making hue and cry after everything is over.

11 students to 939 students with F-1 visas in just one year?? Come one, the students surely know what they are getting into. There is noway anyone can think it is a good university, even if I have heard about it from my friends I would have thought the university is a joke after going through its website. Surely students know they can make few extra bucks if they join in Tri Valley university.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I am also surprised at the furore over radio tagging. I think these folks could have been detained in a prison and the radio tagging is an alternative which is actually something most folks would prefer (rather than being locked up in prison) and I think those being radio-tagged chose or consented to that option. Furthermore, I think most of these folks can choose to be deported voluntarily if they wanted to -- the radio tagging is probably only required as long as they are contesting their deportation.

Apparently, radio-tagging is widely used in the US and I don't believe that this is a case of Indians being singled out for humiliation as some of the press coverage seems to be making it (of course, the Indians being a part of the sham immigration scheme is really their fault rather than of the US authorities).
Peter

Post by Peter »

Atithee wrote: The problem is that this is one of many such operations in the US. The religious nuts here have strong lobbies that allow these sham universities to propser under religious exemption disguise.
This country has been spoiled by the schemers all over the world. What a shame! The most open and trusting system has been raped and soon only the carcass would be left.
These folks used religion as a cover for their sham. They have nothing to do with the teachings of Christianity.

As a response to your second point, shall we pose that question to Geithner or Bernanke?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Peter wrote:As a response to your second point, shall we pose that question to Geithner or Bernanke?
Peter, if you want the honest answer, then we should pose the question to ourselves, our friends, and family first. Then the senators/reps who make these rules. Contrary to what you think, the Feds are largely a puppet or severly hamstrung by our idiotic policies such as going to a war in the middle east. They may be an independent body, but the economic tools such as controlling money supply (in my opinion the only real tool in an economist's arsenal because all others such as interest rate etc. follow the money supply) are usually invoked as damage control rather than thoughtful ways of ensuring that long term plans come to fruition. And macroeconomic events such as the current uprising in the mideast (mostly funded by us tangibly and intangibly) render a lot of the planning useless.

I have some Rx for improving the US:

1. Make STEM education worth the kids' time; else, lamenting the decline in the educational standards (which are measured by STEM performance, not liberal arts, or countless time wasting apps that people develop) is not going to do anything no matter how much money we pour into education. How many of you want to become engineers/scientists after paying $100+ an hour to a plumber, electrician, automechanic, appliance repairman, real estate appraiser, construction worker? Had I a chance to do it all over again, I would certainly have done it differently living in the US.

2. Start making some products for Christ's sake. Bring manufacturing back. Again, just designing things or making social networking tools is going to make one or two companies and its shareholders rich, but the rest of us will just get fat, lazy, and unproductive.

3. Stop borrowing money. Encourage saving money. Discourage credit card spending.

4. Break the unions. Their time has gone. There are only a few family owned businesses to exploit the workers any more. Even they cannot do the exploitation with the current rules, norms, and scrutiny in place. I read that a SJ police chief who retired with $180K plus annual salary at age 50 or somthing went to work as the chief of the Redwood City police at $190K annual salary. I wonder what his retirement benefit would be there. There oughta be a law against this. Either don't allow retirement at this early age, or do not let them double/triple dip. This is not so much unions' fault as it is that of the city administrators who make these choices. But the pension plans are entirely unions' crown jewels.

5. Tighten the immigration rules' enforcement. Stop treating illegals as the source of funds for the baby boomers' social security.

Feds are not needed to achieve much of this. It's the people and the politicans selected by the people.

Mods -- Please move this to general chit chat/economic section of the forum