Asian Games 2014 - Incheon

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Asian Games 2014 - Incheon

Post by jayakris »

Well, may as well start a thread now itself ...

Kabaddi and Cricket retained

That is nice news. I love cricket being in these games. Now they will have to build a cricket stadium in Incheon, I assume. Hopefully the idiots in BCCI will not be arrgant jerks next time also, and we will have India taking part.
The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) and the Incheon Asian Games Organising Committee (IAGOC) have decided to retain kabaddi and cricket while throwing out cue sports and chess from the programme for the 2014 Games
So, at least we can't be screwed by Sunder and Viswanathan anymore... These two are possibly the least fitting two events - thouh I would have been fine if cue sports stayed. I suppose carrom will be gone too, along with cue sports.

Jay
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Asian Games 2014 - Incheon

Post by prasen9 »

Dragon boat racing and dance sports? Should be gone right? Disciplines included says it is indeed. Baseball included. Good. Softball is not. Too bad. They should have called Baseball/Softball one sport for male/female sportsmen respectively. Out of the ones that are there, I have issues with bowling and wushu. Those are weak sports imho. Wushu - my problem is in the judging part. So India will be favorites for at least two golds: men's and women's kabaddi. And perhaps women's cricket.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Who else is favorite for men's cricket? You mean, after all this hoopla, we are not even the favorites in Asia? Not that it means a sure gold in an unpredictable version of the game like the T20, but we are expected to have the higher chance for winning in that too, right? I mean, we are the kings with IPL and everything else, and we are not favorotes over even the bug country, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh? That is pretty shameful, if so.

Jay
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

It is not clear which are the 28 Olympic sports. London 2012 will have only 26. Does this mean the 28 from Beijing? Or will it mean London 2012 (26) plus any other two from the recognised IOC list? In that case, dance sport could be in!
Jay, carrom is part of cue sports.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote:Who else is favorite for men's cricket? You mean, after all this hoopla, we are not even the favorites in Asia?
Jay, if the event were held today, India would be #1. However, what will happen to the team injury and form wise in four years is anybody's guess. In kabaddi and women's cricket, we have been #1 in Asia for a long while consistently and the gap between the Indian team and the rest is high. So, we can say that the gold in that event is more probable than not. However, in men's cricket, if I were to estimate now, I would put it at 40% with Sri Lanka and Pak gettting 30% each. But, the confidence on that estimation is not very high because the other two are very capable teams --- the gap is not that much as in kabaddi and women's cricket. I am somewhat of a conservative person when expecting golds.

Man that would be extremely disappointing to me if dance sports is in. In some sense, gymnastics, especially the rythmic variety, is bad enough. Now this.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Anything that relies on aesthetic judgment is not a sport in my opinion, be it dancing or rhythmic gymnastics or even women's floor exercises where I believe some of the judging is based on aesthetics.

How the hell is carom a cue sport?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Prashant wrote:How the hell is carom a cue sport?
Prashant, check this wikipedia link for more info ....

Carom billiards
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Oh, its that kind of carom - I know about that sport, but assumed the one in the Asiad was the carom I grew up with. Thanks Jaydeep.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

OK, that makes sense. I had noticed that during the Asiad, the Carrom event was listed with cue sports, and I had assumed that ot sight be some sort of a pool/billard version of the non-cue sport that we have all played - but had not checked that, and wasn't sure... That is why mugu mentioned it to be a cue sport above. Jay
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Asian Games , Incheon, Korea, September 2014

Post by sameerph »

In other Asian games news, BCCI has decided not to send send a team to Asian games because they clash with champion league T20. :roll: They did the same thing last time. I am sure they could have at least sent A team and still would have had a fair chance to win the gold.
Sin Hombre

Re: Asian Games 2014, Incheon, Korea

Post by Sin Hombre »

Cricket at Asian Games has no value.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Asian Games 2014, Incheon, Korea, September 2014

Post by sameerph »

This is a general thread to discuss Asian games. Tennis related disucssion can be done in that section.
gbelday

Re: Asian Games 2014, Incheon, Korea

Post by gbelday »

Sin Hombre wrote:Cricket at Asian Games has no value.
That doesn't matter. Someone decided that it should be part of the Asian games and we should make every attempt to win a medal. Otherwise our competition will surely do.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I don't particularly care about Pakistan or Bangladesh winning a cricket medal at the Asian Games.

Our aim has to be winning more medals in Olympic sports, and winning World cups / test matches in cricket.
Varma

Post by Varma »

If there is a medal being offered, why not grab it? That too when the chances are brighter with our A-B-C or even a D team taking part in it? It's all about being competitive and wanting to win.

- Varma