Asia cup, Kuantan (May 9 to 16)

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Asia cup, Kuantan (May 9 to 16)

Post by jaydeep »

And defending champion India r out of the semifinals with draw against China. :mad: :damn: :mad:

We got penalty corner when 50 seconds were remaining but Sandeep Singh's flick was blocked by Chinese goalie and that ended our participation in Asia Cup.

So again we failed to beat China and they r keep improving to become top 3 teams in Asia.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

:damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

One step forward, and then two steps back. Both in Malaysia!
ssp

Post by ssp »

Shocking result & performance.

I knew we would concede in the 2nd half. I had to leave for work at half time. Goals conceded in the last quarter are a certainty for India. How many times have I seen us throw away 1-2 or even 3 goal leads. :damn: :damn:

Really pissed off with yet another crap display when ranking points are at stake. Azlan Shah counts for nothing.

Our selection policy really has to be overhauled completely. We play ONLY 2 defenders in every frigging game and they are usually too slow (yes Dilip too). Sandeep is a liabilty in defence. Our forwards are really poor in comparison to Argentina, GB, Korea etc...forget the top 4. How many times will Rajpal, Prabjoth, Tushar, Arjun lose the ball or fail to trap cleanly. The malaise is really deep and I can't see us going anywhere in the next 10 years until we have domestic league of any substance.

Look at the example of cricket. Upto 1970s/80s we were producing 1-2 quality players who had to carry the rest. Now we have a lot more depth and quality and results in Tests, ODIs & T20 to show for it.. The BCCI may have its faults but it is undeniable that it is a million miles better at running its sport than IHF/ad hoc/IOA are at hockey. We can't get simple administrative things right. There is a chance the WC will be taken from us and I can't see us geting through any qualifying tournament. I'm not being pessimistic, but if we can't hold on to a 2 goal lead against China....we really are in trouble.

What does Brasa think about this fiasco? I don't see him getting much better results until some of the 'dead wood' is replaced. Harendra no doubt will say 'we didn't take our chances'....what about our shoddy defending? What the hell were we doing in our 'famed' camps? What happened to 'rectifying a few grey areas'?

Knowing our brainless selectors I expect all of these to be in the next squad: Rajpal, Prabjoth, Ragunath, Ajitesh Roy, Vinaya, Sandeep (liabilty in defence and fails in vital matches), Dilip Tirkey ( who is always 31 years old!!), Arjun Halappa.

I echo PKB's assessment- 1 step forward and 2 back. That is exactly what came to my mind.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

True ssp, looks like this pathetic performances from our team is never going to stop ... Very painful to see squandering such 2 goals cushion in this crucial match.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Great words of wisdom from 'Olympian' Pillay before todays draw:

http://fieldhockey.com/index.php?option ... tid=1:news

Good to see our manager would like our forwards to dodge more! In my opinion, some of them are unable to beat anyone in a 1 to 1 situation. I'm fed up of hearing about 'skill full' Indians when we repeatedly lose possession and can't trap the ball properly.

Recently, Pillay said we didn't need a foreign coach as Harendra was doing a good job!

Well, we drew a series in Argentina 2-2 (after having won the 1st two games). We came 2nd in the Gold Cup (losing to a 2nd string German team and FAILED to beat a weakened Dutch team), lost twice to a developmental Aussie side, beat NZ twice in NZ, FAILED to beat Egypt and China.This sort of form constitutes success nowadays in Indian hockey!

Can Brasa do anything at all? I know our coaches have all been disastrous, but why are former players so blinkered in their thinking and incapable of clear thinking or planning?

I'm going to support Malaysia for this Asia cup. I'd like them to break Korea and Pakistan's dominance.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Changes must come. This idea that Indian coaches are capable of changing anything is nothing but futile talk with no substance to back it up. 35 years of zero success from Indian coaches just do not seem to be enough for people - and they do not see that our coaching fraternity can only get worse as time goes on, as we only inbreed. I will keep repeating it, irritatingly regularly.

Harendra may be among the best Indian coaches we have, and given to his schemes, we would occasionally have a healthy team that is all inspired to win a few matches against below top-6 teams like at Azlan - suddenly we might look like we are OK, but no fundamental changes will come from ANY Indian coach, and at the first sign of adversity following that, like a player being out of form, or when there is pressure on us to produce, we will only get cooked because the fundamental hockey system we follow is totally flawed for top-5 level modern performanc.

Will Brasa change things? I don't know. No evidence at all to spport any exepectations one way or other. We have no choice though; because he is all we have now. Let us wish the guy best and hope that may be, just may be, he has it in him to put some sense into the whole Indian hockey establishment.

Jay
ssp

Post by ssp »

Korea have just defeated China 5-1. Shows how rubbish we are. Australia also run up big scores against China (9-2 last time I think).
This Korean side is missing their 3 best players and only came together 2 weeks before the tournament! I don't think they have had any competitive games since the last Olympics.

It shows how inept are tactics are. We are always going to play the same way and competent coaches and fit players can negate our predictable attacks and then our defence is always a joke. Harendra admits to our defending:
India coach Harendra Singh was bitter over his players attitude in taking China lightly in the second half.
"They have disappointed me today (yesterday). Basically, India cannot defend and I instructed my players to continue their attacking play in the second half but they did not listen to me. I will not resign because of this failure. I'm not a quiter," said Harendra.
:kookoo:
ssp

Post by ssp »

KPS is still full of hypocritical sh*t:

http://stick2hockey.com/ViewArticle.asp ... leOID=3245

I love the fact that he thinks we have wasted 1 year ...hahahaha. How many years did KPS waste!! :kookoo: :kookoo:
To save 'time' perhaps he would have the decency to withdraw his lawsuit against the IOA and let a new federation be formed quickly, so that at least we get to see India in a WC.

All of his comments are laughable.

But then everyone connected with Indian hockey (former coaches, administrators, 'former olympians' etc) are comedians.

Here's Carvalho's pearls of wisdom:

http://stick2hockey.com/ViewArticle.asp ... leOID=3246

I think the media should stop interviewing all these people.