Doc's Near Death Experience

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
punarayan

Re: Doc's Near Death Experience

Post by punarayan »

Dr Sharma's Family, Please accept my most sincere condolences on the loss of such a precious man. I'm his age, but he confirmed to me that being youthful in spirit and attitude were primary. A child like spirit in the form of a wise, caring human who dedicated his life to being a caring physician. You cannot find a more worthy human to emulate. He accepted me into this forum with his brand of humor and I'm glad I passed his test at friendly ribbing. I would have loved to have met him in person, but his spirit will remain with me forever. I will miss his presence very much. May you have the strength to find the peace he would have wanted for all of you.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I was hoping that Doc was going to pull thru and come out strong. My sincere condolences to Dr.Sharma's family.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

So, how do we get going with the sports charitable trust work? Anybody has experience in running a trust with global support? Register it in the US? India?

Jay
First we need to decide what the trust would do? Is it to help athletes or develop sports facilities or conduct tournaments etc??
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

One of my colleagues is part of such a trust. I will talk to him and also the folks at the IIT Alumni Trust and figure out the procedure (in India).

Suresh
puneets

Post by puneets »

My sincere condolences to the Sharma family. Dr. Bhushan will be missed by one and all.
I used to be in constant touch with him via messages, and I've always admired his cheerful and warm nature. I was planning to call him this weekend !
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Almost three days after reading about the very sad news, I am still having trouble believing that BSharma will not be posting here again. This forum will never be the same without his gently reassuring and softly moderating influence. He had such an impact on me personally because he came across as such a unique individual that had a soft heart, a sharp intellect, small ego, and broad awareness. He spoke articulately of so many different things - from how to get Indian food on cruise ships by befriending the chefs (many of whom are Indian), to erudite write ups on mysterious medical processes, to analysis of sports, to humorous Top 10 lists, and on and on. He had so many dimensions to him, and they co-existed with ease, one not overpowering another. Yet he was obviously a very in-demand medical practitioner and professor. Not to forget the great family man. All this was felt and experienced by others through cyberspace. To the point where I was happy that such a person walked among us - even if it was far away. We need more people like this, and each one that passes makes humanity a little poorer. His humility and humor always struck me. Even when he wrote about things he was knowledgeable about, he would state things with simplicity and humility. And his thoughts were always coherent, and there was never an attempt to snow others with a torrent of words. I am still amazed that I am writing like this about a man that I never met, spoke to, heard, saw, shook hands with etc. All this just through reading his posts, exchanging ideas, thoughts, opinions and feelings through the ether of cyberspace. Amazing, indeed! Rest in peace, Dr. Bharat Bhushan Sharma! Your spirit will live on, and I for one will not forget you!
Peter

Until we meet again..

Post by Peter »

Doc, What a wonderful, joyous life you have had. We love you and miss you greatly.

Words cannot express my emotions. It has been an emotional roller-coaster of a day. Have been mostly introspective, with thoughts about the legacy we get to leave and the impact we could have.

Our lives were enriched by knowing you through this forum. And now, 6 years and 12,000 posts later you get to cross the 50 ft silver door, high up in the sky. There are so many qualities in you that i admire, and many others have elucidated them here.

My thoughts were with you when i was driving through Oklahoma on Interstate 44 earlier this month. Thought i'd let you rest and recuperate.

Ah well, farewell my friend. Will look forward to meeting you again in that joyous place.

Obituary (Papa Bear, may i call you that, just this one time)

Guestbook comments (from over 10 years ago)
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

I found out about this two days ago. I still don't really know what to say. I only wish I'd known about this thread two months ago, and that I might have been able to have one last interaction with him. As so many have said, he was like an Uncle or father figure to me. I had always hoped to meet him one day.

RIP Bhushan Uncle
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I am speechless as well at this tragic news. As they say, the favorite ones are claimed first by the power above and surely the good doc will make the heavens smile just as we did here (all while picking up the very detailed nuances of sports medicine or the bazooka forehand). My condolences to the family and your loss at this tragic event is unfathomable to me. I feel very lucky to have been touched by his warmth and humanity and will always remember his endearing spirit.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Here is the link which gives all the information about starting a trust/NGO in India

http://www.karmayog.org/startanngo/
Docs son

Post by Docs son »

Thank you all so very much. I literally have tears in my eyes right now. I know how much my dad meant to me and my family and it is so touching to hear how much he meant to all of you. I cannot believe this happened - we all truly were lucky and blessed to have had touched by his life. He is so incredibly missed I wish I could tell him right now, but I am sure that he was well aware of how much support and love he had in life. You all seem like great people, and again thank you for being a part of his life.

At his funeral on Wednesday there were literally people spilling out of the funeral home into the parking lot in Tulsa waiting to come inside - a rough estimate by the funeral director was that well over 500 people in Tulsa showed up to pay respects to our local lovable hero Dr. Sharma. My family and I will be traveling to India soon to put my father's ashes in the Ganges... I cannot believe I just typed those words. I wish I had the wisdom of my father that you all appreciate as much as I did. I wish I knew what he would say at a time like this to all of us.

Thank you again for your wonderful words. They mean so much to me. I will pass them along to my mother and family.
forpar

Post by forpar »

My deepest condolences to Doc's family. I hope god gives you courage to deal with this tragic loss.

Doc is the first person to invite me to this forum as he did most others. His posts are always filled with so much information and humility. I still remember his posts about his Lucknow days...He puts them in such eloquent manner, its hard to forget. This forum will be poorer with this great man's loss.

Rest in Peace, Doc.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Ravi,

Thanks for returning to the forum to acknowledge our shared feelings of the great loss. While our loss cannot be compared to your loss, I am confident that the good doc has left a towering legacy in the form of his family. He wrote about his children sometimes and I learned more about you on the internet recently. There is no doubt that the Doc has passed his genius elements to his children and they will continue his good work in a similar vein. If you have the time and feel a need to connect with us, please come back whenever you can to share whatever you feel like sharing. We are just a post or a PM away.

Best wishes.
Docs son wrote:Thank you all so very much. I literally have tears in my eyes right now. I know how much my dad meant to me and my family and it is so touching to hear how much he meant to all of you. I cannot believe this happened - we all truly were lucky and blessed to have had touched by his life. He is so incredibly missed I wish I could tell him right now, but I am sure that he was well aware of how much support and love he had in life. You all seem like great people, and again thank you for being a part of his life.

At his funeral on Wednesday there were literally people spilling out of the funeral home into the parking lot in Tulsa waiting to come inside - a rough estimate by the funeral director was that well over 500 people in Tulsa showed up to pay respects to our local lovable hero Dr. Sharma. My family and I will be traveling to India soon to put my father's ashes in the Ganges... I cannot believe I just typed those words. I wish I had the wisdom of my father that you all appreciate as much as I did. I wish I knew what he would say at a time like this to all of us.

Thank you again for your wonderful words. They mean so much to me. I will pass them along to my mother and family.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Sitting here reading the news with tears streaming down my face. I never actually met The Doc but as so many have said on here The Doc touched our lives in so many uplifting and different ways that it was a joy to behold. The sense of the greatness of the man is typified by the fight he put up. My Dad himself went through a similar ordeal and he used to say that it was the hardest fight of them all. For the Doc to have fought for so long through such pain is typical of the man that he was.

He was such a gentle and thoughtful person that it was a joy to behold. I think the first time I heard from Doc was when he messaged to ask what Harsh liked to eat as Harsh was coming over to stay with him. This was typical of the man that he was.

A Giant amongst Men.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Dear Ravi

First of all my sincere apologies that I was unaware about this sad event

It is indeed a shock to hear this news especially when we last heard from him how bravely he had fended off the illness.
Sharmaji to me was the person who epitomised everthything what this forum is. His knowledge wit and humour was unparrell and the knowledge he imparted through his writing was truly invaluable.

I find it very hard to believe he is no more amongst us and I can feel you and your family grief in this sad hour.

May God give you and your family strength and May his Soul Rest in Peace