Indian domestic cricket/ players

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian domestic cricket/ players

Post by prasen9 »

I wonder if Tendulkar and Dravid will turn up for the quarters or not. I suppose not, given that this test will finish on the 23rd. I hope they will play in the semis onwards to give our domestics a much needed competitiveness it needs so that we can evaluate the youngsters properly. Then, there is Vijay and Badrinath. I hope to see them play --- although from a personal standpoint, I would like to see Bengal beating TN and them not being in the team helps. The other hopefuls in the other teams are Rahane, Mukund, Pujara, Jadeja, Kulkarni, RP Singh, Kaif, Raina, Chawla, Tiwari, Dinda, etc. Should be a good trials for the youngsters.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Dravid to play Ranji quarters for Karnataka. Get more of his form back. I am hoping Tendulkar plays for Mumbai too although both would be very justified to rest after a grueling year.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Tendulkar and Zaheer r planning to play from semis ( if Mumbai reaches after winning their quarter-final ... ;) ) for Mumbai.

Jaydeep
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Jadeja is turning in quite a show this season --- as an all-rounder.
kna

Post by kna »

Prasen - you're absolutely right. Ravindra Jadeja has had a wonderful Ranji season. He was instrumental in helping Saurashtra beat Karnataka in the Ranji QF in Mumbai - scoring 38 and 55 and taking 5-82 and 4-58. For the season, he has scored 729 runs at 72.90 with 3 centuries and 2 fifties, and grabbed 39 wickets at 18.61. Currently, he stands 5th in runs and 2nd in wickets. You cannot get much more all-round than that :-) He looks like a wonderful prospect to fill the crucial all-rounder's spot in the Indian team in the near future. If Irfan Pathan gets back to form, even better.

For Saurashtra, Pujara scored an unbeaten 112 to guide them in their second innings run chase.

In the semis, Saurashtra will face Mumbai, who easily beat Himachal Pradesh. This SF will be played in Chennai.

UP beat Gujarat and will face Tamil Nadu in the other SF in Nagpur. TN beat Bengal in a good match after being behind for the first 3 days. Balaji had a great spell of 6-24 in Bengal's 2nd innings, and M. Vijay (73) and Badrinath (92 not out) played well to get the 227 runs needed. For Bengal, Tiwary had a very good match, scoring 144 and 42.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Interview with Cheteshwar Pujara
http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2008/dec/ ... erview.htm

"You are being compared to Rahul Dravid, who was playing for Karnataka in the match." Uh oh!! :)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Pujara has definitely earned his place in the test side, and I hope he is in the squad to New Zealand. His team-mate, Ravindra Jadeja, has also earned a place on the plane to NZ. Frankly, we need a penetrative spinner, and it appears young Jadeja is just the man for the job -- and his batting is a huge bonus. I would say that (notwithstanding his century in the first innings of the last test), Dravid should announce a time-table for retirement (he did get another duck in the second innings!). The test side should be: Sehwag, Gambhir, Laxman, Tendulkar, Pujara, Yuvraj/RJadeja/IKPathan, Dhoni, Bhajji/Pathan, Zaheer, Mishra/Jadeja/RPSingh, Ishant. Plus M Vijay and Sreesanth (if fit) or Balaji to round out the full touring squad. Obviously in Kiwi conditions playing more than one spinner is a luxury -- and Bhajji does not necessarily walk into that slot as a pure spinner (although he probably does as an allrounder!). That we have Pathan and Jadeja proving themselves as able allrounders is a very heartening development.
genius

Post by genius »

I have high hopes for jadeja. he can potentially surpass jayasuriya in that he is a better bowler naturally as well being a intimidating batsman who can anhilate bowlers with proper cricketing shots on a sustained basis.

an alien condition like nz may not be the first up.
shashi

Post by shashi »

Sreesanth yes,If mentally fit more than anything else :D
puneets

Post by puneets »

So it's UP vs. Mumbai in the Ranji Finals. It'll be an interesting contest between the perennial power Mumbai and the emerging UP team. This is UP's 3rd trip to the finals in last 4 years.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The Ranji final starts in a few hours. With Tendulkar and Zaheer playing for Mumbai, they will have the upper-hand, although UP's bowlers (RP Singh and Praveen Kumar) could do some damage if they win the toss and choose to ball on a supportive pitch on day 1. Cricinfo's preview:

http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/ranjisu ... 86090.html
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yet another young UP player puts his hand up. How is UP manufacturing these excellent young players in the last decade or so? Anyone knows the secrets of this success? Industrialisation near the Delhi suburbs? I have no idea how this rise took place, but, it is certainly very refreshing.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, Bhuvneshwar Kumar has regularly outshone his illustrious team-mates RP Singh and Praveen Kumar this season and last, and looks to be a real talent at 18+.
Prem

Post by Prem »

Mumbai fought back from 55/4 to 262/4 before B Kumar again snapped up 2 with the first 2 balls with the second new ball.
With this B Kumar has 5 wickets....
Mumbai still well palced at 264/6 - thanks to Rohit (100 no) and AM Nayar (99) who put on 207 for the 5th wicket.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Disappointingly, UP's fielding was atrocious yesterday -- with numerous missed run-out opportunities and loads of dropped catches that let Rohit Sharma (in particular) off the hook repeatedly. Kaif was frequently the culprit, dropping atleast two sitters in the slips. I wonder why Kaif insists on fielding close-in (and especially in the slips when he is captain). Like Pataudi and Azhar, he should stay in the covers where he (like them) is brilliant. Close-in, he is decidedly pedestrian (especially at short-leg, where he hops around and makes a hash of things; this match suggests the same is true in the slips). Mumbai 363/9 now, but I think UP have let Mumbai get away after a great start by their bowlers (exactly as they did in last year's Ranji final, when they were thwarted by a fifth wicket stand as well!).