French Open 2008

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

French Open 2008

Post by jaydeep »

This time Sania is not playing in French Open … So frankly lots of glamour lost from French open for we, Indian fans, and also for international fans.

But still Mahesh and Mark will be title contender in doubles and Mahesh can produce another majestic title winning performance with new partner in MXD … If Lee and Lukas Dlouhy get adjusted with their games in first few initial rounds then we can hope good show from this pair also.

Not sure about Rohan and Rajeev about their doubles participation in French open … Rohan mostly skip FO considering his lingering knee injury to give more rest before grass season.

In women’s event only Sunitha Rao is participating in singles qualifying … She is having decent draw, so let’s see how she performs.

In boys section, interesting to see Yuki’s progress on red clay … He only get single clay practice tournament before FO … Not expecting too much from him on clay but with his performance he looks big stage player … So we can’t discount him at FO though on clay.

Don’t know about Karunuday, Sudanwa, Akash or Poojashree Venkatesh’s plan about playing FO junior qualifying.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: French Open 2008

Post by jaydeep »

At French Open 2008,

[Q1] Sunitha Rao (IND,156) vs Kristina Barrois (GER,202)

If Sunitha wins first qualifying round then she can meet Britisher, winner between 10th seed #115 Katie O'brien and #153 Melanie South.

Today Sunitha is playing 2nd match on Court 6 in around 2 hrs ... Go Sunitha.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sunitha's match is on ... After winning first set in 28', she lost 2nd set in 63' and now 3rd set is going on ... Its on serve.

Kristina Barrois broke Sunitha's serve in 4th game to lead 1-3 ... In first game of third set Sunitha had break point which she couldn't convert.

C'mon Sunitha.

Now 1-4 ... Sunitha need to hold her serve and break Kristina's serve in next game.

Sunitha holds ... 2-4
Kristina holds without any problem ... 2-5  .. :(
And Kristina broke Sunitha's serve on 30 to won match ... :damn:

[Q1] Sunitha Rao (IND,156) l Kristina Barrois (GER,202) 62 67(3) 26
Last edited by jaydeep on Wed May 21, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Poor loss considering Sunitha's preparation before French open ... This was winnable match after good start but still somehow Sunitha managed to lose this match and with that our singles challenge is over in Men's and Women's section before it started ... Hopefully in 2009 French Open we will see atleast Sania and Somdev in maindraw.

Match stats

Jaydeep
Insider

Post by Insider »

Looks like Sunitha needs to work on maintaining her form over the course of an entire match.  Disappointing loss.
WTATourCoach

Post by WTATourCoach »

"Poor loss" and "disappointing" are not words that I would use to describe Sunitha's unfavorable result against Barrois.  You have to know Barrois' game, like I do, to comment on Sunitha's result - AND - you need to understand that the dynamics at a grand slam are far different than the other events.  Bottom line is that Sunitha played well for the most part but Barrois, who serves like a guy, served lights out in key situations against a Sunitha return which is usually solid to impressive, to say the least.  When you can't get a "sniff" at a serve return because you 5 foot 10 inch opponent is serving either bombs to the corners or heavy kick that is magnified by the clay, it's tough to compete.  Match came down to the Barrois serve.  As none of you have seen her play, I will tell you she serves on par with the best female servers on tour.  So, "poor loss", "disappointing" result and whatever else that you can spew out to criticize, evaluate or sum up Sunitha's performance certainly are neither accurate or justified.  She had her chances to close out the match in the second set, late in the set, but Barrois served her way out of trouble again and again.  It  would be the fair, professional and educated thing to say that Barrois outplayed Sunitha in key moments - not that Sunitha played a bad or sub par match.  This is just how tennis works. 
WTATourCoach

Post by WTATourCoach »

"Hopefully in 2009 French Open we will see at least Sania and Somdev in maindraw"
Thanks Jaydeep - maybe you left out Sunitha.  We call this "fair weather fans" back home.  People that support the winners or people who are doing well, ONLY when they are doing well.  Always funny, but sad at the same time, to read these posts.
Sathya

Post by Sathya »

WTATourCoach wrote:  It  would be the fair, professional and educated thing to say that Barrois outplayed Sunitha in key moments - not that Sunitha played a bad or sub par match.  This is just how tennis works.
Thanks WTATourCoach for providing us detail on how the match between Sunitha and Barrois went. Bad Luck Sunitha and all the best for your next tournaments !

Coach, We support Sunitha, We Like Sunitha, We Want Sunitha to Win. But as a fan I may get disappointed at seeing Sunitha not winning from the position of winning. Also, the word / feeling "disappointment" is very subjective. For example, you will be disappointed if we talk about other players. I may get disappointed since you are calling us un-educated (but I will not is a different story). Hence, please do not take "Disappointment" means Playing really bad or Sub-Par Match and loose your peace. In this context, we just expected a win from Sunitha. We wish her all the best for next matches !
WTATourCoach wrote: "Hopefully in 2009 French Open we will see at least Sania and Somdev in maindraw"
Thanks Jaydeep - maybe you left out Sunitha.  We call this "fair weather fans" back home.  People that support the winners or people who are doing well, ONLY when they are doing well.  Always funny, but sad at the same time, to read these posts.
This is NOT TRUE ! I have been reading the messages from the days of Jay's notes, this forum for years and I always found most of the members to be very supportive to players when they go through tough phase. But I have certain rules: I do express my support to players when they dont do well AND when they dont have passionate and fanatic support from others. For example, Sunitha Rao's (Forum Member) support for Karan and your support for Sunitha Rao (Player) is bit irritating to me (I am not talking about others), because you seem to blindly support and belittle other players (in your case Shika) and I rather prefer not to express my best wishes / support (always there) for these players when they dont do well AND WHEN YOU ARE AROUND. This means your support and Noise you make is irritating. But our support for Sunitha Rao the player will always be there.

My suggestion to you is to understand your role as COACH. You seem to wear the coat of the lawer and nitpick the words to prove your points to us poor un-professional and un-educated fans. Please Ignore us and help Sunitha progress in her Tennis Career !  Best wishes for you and Sunitha for the matches ahead !
Last edited by Sathya on Thu May 22, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

I don't have any problem in accepting that Sunitha Rao is India # 2 in womens tennis behind Sania. In fact there is a big difference today between Sunitha and #3. Still lot of work is needed to be inside top 100.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

wta coach should understand that all the players who wear the india badge get unqualified and unequivocal supports from us at the forums ,
we may have the odd favorites but overall we wish well for each and every one out there
and to assure the wta coach about the comments of forumites for a loss are more in regret and sadness and not to admonish anyone
as sathya has rightly pointed it is best in sunita's interest that the coach tone down his caustic comments about -the authorities- the forumites as we donot want sorry and sad events of few years back to be repeated again.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Dear WTA coach,

I hate to say this but you are currently behaving like those parents who hate all other kids in the school simply because they love theirs. I remember this particular case when this girl who used to come first in class secured 3rd or 4th place because she fell ill during one of the exams. The day when parents are invited to go through their kids answer scripts her father went confronted this other guy who came first this time. He proudly proclaimed that his daughter would beat him next time. I  found that so silly. Whats there to tell that. If she came first in the next term exams every one will say so. Every one knew she was ill and that she was the best in the class. I don't know what happened to her father but she lost respect.

May be my post will get edited but let me tell you are behaving like a kid. You are not winning any friends nor is Sunitha whom we all like.

As for Sunitha, she had to face a few unfortunate events. Didn't get a wild card, some discussion whether she would play doubles with Sania or not..... So what.

It happens. The world and India for sure is unfair in many ways.

I hope you continue helping Sunitha and we are greatfull for that.

Thanking you,
With best regards,
Omkara
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

Emotions are always running high following a match so let's just leave it that.

Coach, I think what you have to accept is that this is a forum where people are fans but at the same time are not averse to making critical comments. Just because they make a critical comment or express a sentiment does not make them any less of a fan or a "fair weather fan".

Onwards and upwards. 
wrestlinglife

Post by wrestlinglife »

WTATourCoach wrote: "Hopefully in 2009 French Open we will see at least Sania and Somdev in maindraw"
Give me a break. You seem to come here to pick fights, whether someone says something about Sunitha...or in this case, a longtime member like Jaydeep merely said the obvious without even mentioning Sunitha...apparently that's a crime. "Fair weather fan"--my foot...this is probably the most supportive forum for a group of players that are not ranked in top-100. So, get over yourself, and stop trying to pick fights. I can also come up with choice words to describe your "fair and balanced" posts.
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

Surely a case of pot and kettle!  :devil:
wrestlinglife

Post by wrestlinglife »

S_K_S wrote: Surely a case of pot and kettle!  :devil:
Funny that you talk...you have a penchant for picking on members who talk tennis which is even funnier considering you're a mod  :D