Sania Mirza - General Discussion of tennis matters

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sania Mirza - General Discussion of tennis matters

Post by jayakris »

"Little" princess? .. How is she "little" ??

Jay
iShUuU
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by iShUuU »

:roll:
Now, a film is rumoured to be based on the life of tennis star Sania Mirza. The film titled I For India will be produced by Deepak R Gandhi - MD of Umbrella Films in collaboration with Los Angeles-based Distant Horizon Films.
nballa

Post by nballa »

jayakris wrote: "Little" princess? .. How is she "little" ??

Jay
figure of speech "jay"
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

nballa wrote:
jayakris wrote: "Little" princess? .. How is she "little" ??

Jay
figure of speech "jay"
Naveen,
If I may suggest something to you . . . you could have replied "Think, big guy, think!"  . . . and then when Jay would have asked you how she is "little" princess and Jay is "big guy", you should have given your answer.  :wink:  I could not resist jumping into this tete-a-tete.  :tomato:
nballa

Post by nballa »

im sure jay knows, for he is an expert writer - quite adept at dishing out post match report after post match report of sania's matches with the insight and expertise of someone who has played the game at the highest level - which of course i enjoy reading.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

nballa wrote: im sure jay knows, for he is an expert writer - quite adept at dishing out post match report after post match report of sania's matches with the insight and expertise of someone who has played the game at the highest level - which of course i enjoy reading.
Oh man, why would someone suck up to a Texas Longhorn?  :wink:  :damn: 
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

BSharma wrote:
nballa wrote: im sure jay knows, for he is an expert writer - quite adept at dishing out post match report after post match report of sania's matches with the insight and expertise of someone who has played the game at the highest level - which of course i enjoy reading.
Oh man, why would someone suck up to a Texas Longhorn?   :wink:   :damn: 
Dr. Sharma, here's a hint.  nballa is not sucking up to Jay or any Texas Longhorn!
:wink:
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

jai_in_canada wrote: Dr. Sharma, here's a hint.  nballa is not sucking up to Jay or any Texas Longhorn!
:wink:
Don't worry Jai.  We are just having fun at Jay's expense since he is away from the forum.  I do not have any qualms about sucking up to Jay - the IndianTennis Guru, Carnatic singer par excellence, the maker of the best elastic chai, etc, etc; however, I do draw the line at Jay - The Texas Longhorn.  :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Latest on Sania from TOI e-paper-
Sania returns to practice court

Prajwal Hegde | TNN

Bangalore: At a time when the world’s leading tennis players are hitting headlines at the French Open, the year’s second Grand Slam, India number one Sania Mirza is battling pain on the practice courts as she works to make a comeback to the WTA Tour after undergoing a wrist surgery in April.
  Sania, who started swinging the racquet 10 days ago, doing wall practice with pressurefree balls, is back on court, rallying for almost an hour, but not without pain. While she’s hitting freely on the backhand side and serving comfortably, she still feels considerable pain when hitting the forehand, especially on the run.
  Her personal trainer Renuka Pinto, who earlier worked on the WTA Tour, explained, that there’s bound to be some pain for the next two or three weeks. “The wrist has to relearn the whole process again because it is virtually a new wrist. The pain will not further damage the wrist, it will take some getting used to though.’’
  “I’m very excited to be back on court,’’ Sania told ToI. “It’s particularly upsetting to be missing out on my first Grand Slam in three-and-a-half years. The only reason I went with the surgery in April was to ensure that I could play without pain at the Olympics.’’
  Sania, who has been taking feeding drills these last few days in Hyderabad, has only just begun rallying. She will likely move her training base to Mumbai, where she’ll be on court for two sessions a day, before flying out to Birmingham on June 5.
  Sania is scheduled to play the DFS Classic, starting June 9. She will perforce take a final decision on whether she returns to the Tour at Birmingham or the following week at Hertogenbosch later in the week.
  “I’m feeling stronger physically and I’m looking forward to playing the grasscourt season,’’ Sania said.
  The Hyderabadi, who may well have to down painkillers in her initial weeks of competition, will benefit by making her return on grass because the points will be shorter. But there will be considerable strain on her wrist when the ball skids off the surface and she plays it late.
  Sania, who will travel with her father Imran and trainer Renuka, will be joined by coach Sven Groeneveld at Wimbledon, starting June 23. Sania, ranked number 20 in the doubles, will partner American Bethanie Mattek at Birmingham and Wimbledon.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Nice to know that Sania is back on court and started hitting balls.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

"considerable pain" seems to me to indicate that she might miss Wimbledon. She needs at least a week if not 2 weeks of pain free practice.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

She mustn't rush back. The pain needs to substantially subside, and her forehand needs to be working fully, before she comes back. The grass season is a good time to be back, but she mustn't rush things...
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

jai_in_canada wrote:
jayakris wrote: I don't think I said 4 weeks to return to COMPEITION, jai.  4weeks to return to mobilizing the wrist.  As there is no fracture, ligament tear etc, I think she can start hitting on court fairly soon after.  Still hoping to be in playing shape even if not in fully compeitive form by FO time, I believe.
.....What ever it is, I trust that she will take the time to heal and strengthen before hitting again.  ......
Here's what we were saying on April 17. 
PKB's advise is very sage. 
The wrist, like the ankle, is very prone to re-injury and chronic weakness, if it isn't rehabilitated properly first.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

As per report, Sania Mirza left for London early on Wednesday to participate in DFS Classic in Birmingham, which is starting from June 9.

Sania returns to court at Birmingham
Sania - "The pain (in the wrist) has reduced considerably over the last few days. The time I've been spending on court has now increased to over two-and-a-half hours. I started with 20 minute sessions with regular balls only 10 days ago. It remains to be seen how the wrist behaves when I start hitting on grass, where the ball shoots through a lot faster. It's certain to put more pressure on the wrist."
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

Doesn't sound perfect, however, all of us r waiting eagerly for her to come back !!! All the best.  :goodluck: