Im curious to see what kind of object this is.

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
nballa
Please enter the middle number: 1

Im curious to see what kind of object this is.

Post by nballa »

The storage facility is made up of two caverns of size measuring 19 metres in height, 20 m in diameter and 160 m in length
you have height, diameter and length. i'd like to see that one.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Im curious to see what kind of object this is.

Post by Dhruv »

It's an arch building.  So flat sides and then an arch up top. 
shibi

Post by shibi »

A cavern is an underground natural gas storage facility. Illustration

Height and diameter could be of the cavern and the length could be the total distance from the wellhead/ ground to the lowest end of the cavern. Not sure though.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Could it be a conical building with an elliptical base?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

It is a near-circular tunnel, 20 meter diameter with a flat base that is one meter above the bottom of the circle.  It goes 160 m in length.

Here is the article of the Vishakhapatnam LPG plant where the said cavern is.
http://www.hindu.com/2006/09/12/stories ... 810100.htm

I am not sure why they say it is a technological marvel.   Sounds like a regular small tunnel to me.  Anyway, Naveen could have just looked at that picture and sved us time :)

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

jayakris wrote:
Here is the article of the Vizag LPG plant wherethe said cavern is.

I am not sure why they say it is a technological marvel.   Sounds like a regular small tunnel to me.  Anyway, Naveen could have just looked at that picture and sved us time :)

Jay
Naveen was simply checking out the smartness of all SI members with an engineering background and to showcase his home town.  :wink:
nballa

Post by nballa »

jayakris wrote: It is a near-circular tunnel, 20 meter diameter with a flat base that is one meter above the bottom of the circle.  It goes 160 m in length.

Here is the article of the Vizag LPG plant wherethe said cavern is.

Jay
its not a tunnel. its an under-seabed storage cavern.
its a technological marvel because it is the largest construction project ever attempted by mankind in the whole world. the sheer size of that thing is ming boggling. you can put 50 elephants one on top of the other and you still will not reach the top of the cavern. to put it into perspective you will need the volume of two caspian seas to fill the cavern which is equivalent to half of the south china sea.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Check photos of the site on South Asia LPG site - Photos
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

The channel tunnel should beat that by a mile and a half.
the undersea section of 37.9 km (23.55 miles) is the longest undersea tunnel in the world.
There are two rail tunnels, measuring 7.6 m (25 ft) in diameter and about 30 m (98 ft) apart, which carry trains north-west and south-east. Between the rail tunnels is a service tunnel, 4.8 m (16 ft) in diameter,
In all, 8 million m³ (10.5 million cubic yards) of soil were removed, at an average rate of 2,400 tonnes per hour.
While the storage cavern is:
The storage facility is made up of two caverns of size measuring 19 metres in height, 20 m in diameter and 160 m in length.

160x19x20 times two = 121600 cubic metres - nowhere near the millions of cubic meters that the chunnel dug out.

cheers
-kujo
Last edited by kujo on Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

For the record, the Chunnell, Boston Big Dig, Alaska Pipeline, The US interstate Highway System, etc are some of the largest projects - depening on the definition of what a "project" is.

If the height is 20 meters, how can you have 50 elephants on top of each other in there.  We have 40 cm tall elephants??

Unless there are some zeros missing in the dimensions, this is a piddly tunnell.  There are many overflow chutes and tunnells at dams in India which are bigger in total tunnell volume.   Definitely railway tunnells also, in India.  Of course Mont Blanc tunnell, channel tunnell etc are much much larger (see Kujo's numbers)

What are we missing, Naveen?

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
shibi

Post by shibi »

nballa wrote: to put it into perspective you will need the volume of two caspian seas to fill the cavern which is equivalent to half of the south china sea.
This must be the joke of the century. Caspian sea is estimated to have a volume of 78,000 cubic kilometers whereas the cavern has a volume of 0.00012 cubic kilometers (as per Kujoku's estimate, but in reality the volume is much less because the height includes the access shaft which is smaller in diameter). Hence, you need more than 650 million similar twin caverns to match the caspian sea.

I think Nballa isn't serious and just want to attract the attention towards him and make other members indulge in endless discussions about nothing :D.

A cavern isn’t simply a tunnel (see the illustration in my previous post). It is a storage facility cut out of rock, for storing compressed gas. Basically it is similar to natural rock formations where you get oil and gas by drilling, but it is man made. It offers advantages compared to the steel tanks which are used for gas storage.
Last edited by shibi on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nballa

Post by nballa »

the under-seabed cavern will store india's emergency oil reserves during times of war etc.
you didnt see the cavern but i did and trust me guys this thing is a bohemoth. i couldnt throw a stone across the cavern it was that huge.
also the pressures involved in constructing a cavern so deep under-sea are hugeee.(estimated at 20,000 psi). to give you an idea of how much that is the pressure in your car tyre is about 32 psi.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

nballa wrote: you didnt see the cavern but i did and trust me guys this thing is a bohemoth. i couldnt throw a stone across the cavern it was that huge.
The definition of "a stone's throw" is that it is actually not a great distance! :D  Are you saying that you cannot throw a stone when 50 elephants are standing on top of each other in a 20 m tunnel because the pressure above the tunnel is equivalent to 625 tyres at 32 psi?
nballa

Post by nballa »

jai_in_canada wrote: The definition of "a stone's throw" is that it is actually not a great distance! :D  Are you saying that you cannot throw a stone when 50 elephants are standing on top of each other in a 20 m tunnel because the pressure above the tunnel is equivalent to 625 tyres at 32 psi?
and i said i couldn't throw a stone across.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

nballa wrote:
jai_in_canada wrote: The definition of "a stone's throw" is that it is actually not a great distance! :D  Are you saying that you cannot throw a stone when 50 elephants are standing on top of each other in a 20 m tunnel because the pressure above the tunnel is equivalent to 625 tyres at 32 psi?
and i said i couldn't throw a stone across.
i know, i know.  i'm just giving u a hard time.  i admire your passion and pride for your home state and capital - Bhagyanagar.