When to switch to new format and how-- Please vote

Report bugs and errors and enter comments and questions here. Anyone can post in this forum and you do not need to be registered member.

So What is your vote

Poll runs till Fri Feb 21, 2042 11:24 pm

Do it if and when you switch servers
No votes
Do it now. What are you waiting for (Why haven't you already done it)
100%
Do it on the live server but at a different time
No votes

Total votes: 6

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Hi folks,

I've been thinking about the new format. Some of us have been testing it out and it seems fairly fine. The problem I have right now is that due to certain limitations (size of the site and discussions) I can't really do a seamless change at the moment. But I think we should go to the new format cause if I don't do it now I might never get to it (at this rate). Anyway I thought I'd get a bunch of people to vote (you guys) to vote on it as you are probably the people most affected.

The new site format and material isn't a finished product but can probably only be developed further with a large amount of feedback from you guys. It should organise stuff much better and make life easier in general. The forums will remain an integral part of the site but the couple of features that I think will effect you the most are the ability for some of you guys to have:
Individual blogs
Ability for you to submit stories/editorials/match reports etc for the front page and archive

So the options are:

1) Leave the migration and development to when (and if) the site moves to a new server.
2) Migrate the site this weekend (Aussie Open final weekend -Sunday) and then develop it from there
3) Migrate the site at a later date (Please specify when would be good time i.e. a weekend which is free from Indian sports action)

The advantage of doing it when (and if) I move to a new server is that downtime is minimum and the switch should be near seamless with hopefully few mistakes. These are the disadvantages of doing it on the live system i.e. downtime for the site and the switch may not be as seamless as one would like.

However, IMO if I wait for a change of servers it might take forever. Although I have put in a request for a faster server on a faster network as now I'd be pretty much moving to a near exclusive server it will take time for my provider to get the 2-3 other similarly sized websites signed up. I don't think I can justify a new exclusive server just for myself. So therefore I'd like to switch ASAP as it gives me very little excuse not to develop the site further which as the beta testers can testify has been growing in spurts (whenever I feel guilty). So please express your opinions and say what you feel.

NOTE: THERE IS A DANGER THAT IN THE MIGRATION ON A LIVE SERVER I COULD LOSE ALL THE DATA AND WILL HAVE TO DO A RESTORE FROM THE BACKUP WHICH COULD MEAN LONGER DOWNTIME THAN EXPECTED.
Last edited by Dhruv on Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

I can't find my choice. :wink:

Dhruv,

Do what suits you best. We have lived with this one for quite some time, and although it may not be the best one but I can live with it until you are ready to make the change over.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Agree with Bhushan .. :)

Dhruv, u r the right person to take correct decision on this issue ... We r used to this format so we couldn't find it difficult to continue with current format for more time until u make proper change over.

Jaydeep.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Dhruv,

I also thing that you are the right person to decide -- you know all parameters involved. If
something goes wrong, we will all grin and bear it.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Ok. It's decided then. Expect major downtime this weekend. Hopefully things will go well.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Just when Leander and Mahesh are in the finals at AO? :(
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Hey. I said expect it doesn't mean it will occur. I think 80% of the scary work is done. Only some of it is left now :-)
sunnyd

Post by sunnyd »

How about a logo besides the "New Sports India" header? Think it would add some character to the site.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

sunnyd wrote:How about a logo besides the "New Sports India" header? Think it would add some character to the site.
Yeah needs to be done. Graphical work is not my strong suit. Anyway could you put suggestions in the suggestions thread.

Locking thread as it has served purpose.