Sania Mirza - General Discussion of non-tennis matters

A new subforum created to discuss Sania Mirza. As a lot of the other tennis player threads were getting overloaded, thus a new forum to discuss Sania Mirza

Moderator: Moderators

puneets
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by puneets »

In response to some posts about an article by Sania in the General tennis discussion thread, Puneets wrote [Moderator, Jay]

Who cares what she writes. She's just a teenager and I don't expect divine wisdom from her. The so called critics won't stop, nor would the columnists - they'll write/say what they feel..and Sania will do the same.
After all, Sania knows that "well behaved women rarely make history". Now that its the off-season for her, this article can be a good ploy to stir up the critics a bit :)
I don't mind that - its fun to read :D
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

In response to a post in another thread --- [Moderator, Jay]
She had this relly annoyed look and started on "I don't know why people make such a big deal of my tee-shirts -- I am just an 18 year old who like to wear tee-shirts; I am not making any statements on it," etc etc
Come on, give me a break! What does she expect when she wears Tee shirts with writings all over it? People read thise lines and obviously get curious about it! If Sania wearing thoe T-Shirts is not a big deal then obviously people who reading it and asking curious questions is also not a big deal.

PS: Sania can wear whatever T-Shirt she wants, it is upto her. But at the same time she should also know that people are going to read those lines and ask her questions. If you don't want them to ask questions don't wear!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

But she is right, Sandeep, that people have indeed taken it as part her "attitude" and all, while she is just having some fun ... That is all she is saying. But after repeatedly saying that the lines on her shirt don't mean much, you still see articles out there that refer to this to indicate that she has "oomph" and "attitude" (though not in an accusing way), to give color to their articles .. She just gets annoyed about that. Not a big deal.

What I am saying is that she should try not to get annoyed and know that people are not that serious about what they write either, just like how she is not making a statement with her t-shirts. There is hardly anybody I know of who seems to have a problem with her and wants to cause her problems (except the few fatwa types)! --- she should know that.

Jay
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

But she is right, Sandeep, that people have indeed taken it as part her "attitude" and all, while she is just having some fun ...
But Jay, you may not wear T-shirts to make a statement but you definitely buy it because you like it. Obviously to have fun she doesn't wear t-shirts which say I am a loser and all right? She wears something which she can relate to. Ofcourse whatever is on T-shirt may not be her attitude, but it has to have some relation with it.
rish

Post by rish »

Here is an article that Sania Mirza wrote in her column in the Deccan Chronicle a few months ago, which should explain what she thinks of the sports journalists and the other page 3 kind mediamen.

rish

My relationship with the sports media has always been one of mutual respect. I respect them for the work they do and I can sense that many of them have a special fondness for me - probably because I have been fortunate to rise to their high expectations on a few occasions even when I was a child.

The sports journalists and I have one thing which is in common and that is an inborn love and passion for sport. I have never allowed negative comments about my game made by some sports writer to spoil a relationship with him provided that the commentator carries no personal prejudice against me. Of course, I do not agree with certain points of view aired by the sports scribes but I have never allowed that to mess up my relationship with these writers. I do respect the sports writers for doing their job because I know they are doing it for the love of the game and have the best interests of Indian sport at heart.

I have always tried to find time for them even though my hectic schedule has made it more difficult for me in recent months and I have thoroughly enjoyed my interaction with them over the years. A passion for sport is what binds us together and it is a very strong bond even when we happen to disagree on a few points of view.

Unfortunately, I do not share the same camaraderie with the new wave journalists representing the glossy magazine and tabloid world and a couple of TV news channels who resort to sensationalism in their journalistic endeavors rather than sticking to the facts and figures. I regret to say that some of them neither know what sport is about nor care for the good of Indian sport. Their sole intention seems to be to cash in on the popularity of a personality and to rake up unnecessary and concocted issues which have no relevance to the betterment of the game.

International sport is a very serious profession. The amount of sweat, blood and sacrifice that goes into aspiring for the glory of one's country in sport at the highest international level is unimaginable. Those who have no clue about this aspect of sport and can only see sportsmen as over glorified stars have no business to be commenting publicly on topics they know nothing about merely to fill up pages or to increase viewership on their channels.

SANIA MIRZA
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Rish please do not post entire articles.
rish

Post by rish »

I know Sandeep is doing a fine job as a moderator, Puneets. But the point I was making is that just as it is irritating for us to be told a few inconsequential points by people who don't know enough, it has got to be very trying for Sania to be continuously told the same things by those, who do not have enough knowledge! :)

rish
shaili

Post by shaili »

:cry: dont make this a personal war thread too!! thank our stars that jimmy does not post here often. :devil:

based on the previous posts, i thought of the following t-shirts for sania's critics and NRI docs :D

'Beware, I am an advisor'

'Well behaved journalists dont make headlines'

'I am dumb, who cares'

To order the above kindly contact Shaili. :D
completelyconked

Post by completelyconked »

Why are you people so damn obsessed with everything she wears,and says?She's only 18.Let her do what she wants.She's not the head of the UN or anything,that she has to worry about the world-transforming potential of her t-shirts!Heck,she's more diplomatic than the current president of america i think. :D

I really think Sania should wear a t-shirt saying ' I am a loser' at her next press conference.like one of you mentioned.At least that would stop all these people from saying that she's arrogant,just for being confident.
completelyconked

rish wrote:
Unfortunately, I do not share the same camaraderie with the new wave journalists representing the glossy magazine and tabloid world and a couple of TV news channels who resort to sensationalism in their journalistic endeavors rather than sticking to the facts and figures. I regret to say that some of them neither know what sport is about nor care for the good of Indian sport. Their sole intention seems to be to cash in on the popularity of a personality and to rake up unnecessary and concocted issues which have no relevance to the betterment of the game.

International sport is a very serious profession. The amount of sweat, blood and sacrifice that goes into aspiring for the glory of one's country in sport at the highest international level is unimaginable. Those who have no clue about this aspect of sport and can only see sportsmen as over glorified stars have no business to be commenting publicly on topics they know nothing about merely to fill up pages or to increase viewership on their channels.
SANIA MIRZA
woohoo
You tell em girl! 8-) Are you listening Ms.Walia??
I like the fact that she's not afraid to speak her mind.Its not arrogance.Its confidence.All those days of indian girls sucking it up,and saying yessir nosir to every old fogey with a bit of advice are long gone.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Why are you people so damn obsessed with everything she wears,and says?She's only 18.Let her do what she wants
Hey, I am least bothered about what Sania wears. And I am not all that naive to judge Sania's personality based on her T-shirts! When some one in press asks she can skip the question or I am even fine with her saying something like it has nothing to do with her tennis and all.

But I was jjst wondering, how cashe can say something like "why are ou people so bothered about my T-shirt" and all. I mean it is obvious that any one who read the lines on her T-shirt is going to ask that question!
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

You tell em girl! Are you listening Ms.Walia??
Well, the same Sania used to write articles of TOI (don't know if she is still doing that!) and helped it to increase its publicity.
completelyconked

nothingnew wrote:
Why are you people so damn obsessed with everything she wears,and says?She's only 18.Let her do what she wants
Hey, I am least bothered about what Sania wears. And I am not all that naive to judge Sania's personality based on her T-shirts! When some one in press asks she can skip the question or I am even fine with her saying something like it has nothing to do with her tennis and all.
Hmm.I seem to remember that some people on this forum were making a fuss about a certain anagrammed jacket with percieved scandalous implications :) . FCUK happens to be a brand name!Why do you think its so popular with teens?Because it drives grown-ups crazy!Andyou are all falling into the trap.Its pretty innocent really.
But I was jjst wondering, how cashe can say something like "why are ou people so bothered about my T-shirt" and all. I mean it is obvious that any one who read the lines on her T-shirt is going to ask that question!
You know her better than anyone Sandeep. You should know by now that she loves attention.Thats the whole point!She'll really get offended if you don't ask her about her t-shirts! :D

I think they are cute.I especially like that one she wore when she was interviewed by NDTV: i'm old enough to know better,but i'm too young to care. Cute huh? Get a clue media-people.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

FCUK happens to be a brand name!Why do you think its so popular with teens?Because it drives grown-ups crazy
Again, wearing FCUk is not a problem! IIRC we were discussing her wearing that Jacket when she was addressing children in a school.
completelyconked

nothingnew wrote:
FCUK happens to be a brand name!Why do you think its so popular with teens?Because it drives grown-ups crazy
Again, wearing FCUk is not a problem! IIRC we were discussing her wearing that Jacket when she was addressing children in a school.
Excuse me!Please get your facts straight before accusing her people! :frown: When she adressed the kids at school she wore a shirt with pin stripes.The epitome of decency.It was on TV.

She wore the FCUK jacket while watching a qualy match between Rushmi and someone else.She can wear whatever she wants when she watches a match.

She might be a smartass,but she's not an idiot :)