VISION 2020!

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Do you agree with the ideas for Vision 2020!?

Poll runs till Wed Mar 21, 2040 6:23 am

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 1

ataank

VISION 2020!

Post by ataank »

VISION 2020

[A paper giving ideas to achieve India’s Vision for 2020 Olympics]

Why Vision 2020?
The honorable president and the prime minister of India have dreamt of INDIA as a developed nation by the year 2020. Planning and implementation is already in progress to achieve this vision. How do you think a few Olympic medals look for a developed nation with the largest democratic setup? Well I am sure that all of us would agree that it reflects very poorly of our sporting standards.
What is it that needs to be done to place India as a strong sporting nation on the world stage? I present before you this paper for open discussion for all the concerned parties and hope this will switch the sporting bodies into a high gear to make robust changes in their future planning.
Here are a few points that have to be looking into greater depth and legislative changes put into affect as soon as possible.

1. URGENT NEED FOR GREATER FUNDS FOR VARIOUS OLYMPIC SPORTS
BODIES.

As we understand the Government has limited sports budget which can just keep various sports bodies / Federations at functional levels. I suggest a few methods that can be of great assistance in raising funds from private / public organization.

*DIRECT PRIVATE PARTICIPATION

As I understand the money takes a longer route before it reaches the end user/ Federations. The flow chart will look something like this.

CONSUMER---taxes----PRIVATE/ PUBLIC SECTOR COMPANIES-------

IT DEPT-----MINISTRY OF FINANCE----sports budget----IOC/ MINISTRY

OF SPORTS---SPORTS FEDERATIONS---sportsmen/sports infrastructure etc

MINISTRY OF YOUTH AFFAIRS AND SPORTS in consultation with MINISTRY OF FINANCE can bring a bill in the Parliament which encourages Private/Public sector companies to come openly for this National Cause.
As I understand the sports budget is not even 1% of the GDP. Strong lobbying is required on the part of the ministry of sports to have the greater share of this pie. I would strongly recommend at least 2% of GDP but not in terms of direct funding. The Ministry of Finance / IT Dept. should allow deduction in taxes in the company’s Income Tax Returns for the money spent by them in patronizing/funding sports bodies. This deduction must be audited by reputed firms and cleared by the Ministry of Sports before applying.
At present there are broadly two set of big companies. There are those which spent openly to promote sports/sportsmen (e.g. SAHARA Group, Some Public Sector companies) and there are others whose contribution is negligible compared to their size.(eg. RELIANCE). The above method will encourage these second set of companies to come openly in support for this national cause. Bigger companies can adopt some major Olympic Sports and smaller one’s can support by giving jobs/funds/sponsor sportsmen . Additionally the private sector companies should also be allowed to manage the activities of these federations and make them more accountable. Management skills come handy in any sphere whether it’s running of industry or sports bodies. Such a system will cut short the money travel and will look something like this.

PRIVATE /PUBLIC SECTOR COMPANIES-------accountability-----SPORTS

FEDERATIONS.

Companies should be encouraged to understand that they are working for this great national cause and to spend greater than their deductions in taxes to achieve this national cause. The Ministry of sports should engage in an advertising campaign to make companies aware about this new legislation and their duty towards the nation VISION 2020. By bringing the Private sector into picture we can get a Sports Revolution in line with the IT Revolution in recent times.

*COMMON SPORTS ADVERTISING/TELECASTING RIGHTS FUND.

(Can be quite controversial but is worth pushing through)

This can be a very strong tool for the Ministry of sports for sponsoring Olympic sports which have few takers in the private/ public sector. As the heading suggests that all the advertising /telecasting rights be sold by the Ministry of sports for all sports (including cricket). All these funds collected centrally can give M.O.Sports great financial strength to push greater number of Olympic sports and in the process widening the base of prospective medal seeker sports.
This can greatly remove disparity between various sports and the funds be spent on supply and demand basis rather than one federation sitting on cash rich deposits where as the other not getting it’ due share.

2. NEED FOR GREATER SPORTS PENETRATION

We should play to our strengths. China and USA have their own socio-economic structure. What may be applicable in China/U.S.A may not be applicable here and vice versa. Every country has its own strengths. Europeans, Americans & Australians have got the physical advantage.
What is our Greatest Advantage?
Our Population!! We have a large pool of talent to choose from.
As I understand not even 5% of our population is directly/ indirectly involved in any sporting activity. Our education system does not give much recognition to sports. Not many students aspire to be sportsman. Why is it so?
• There are very little chances that you are likely to make a career in sports
• Lack of exposure /facilities at the school level.
The M. O. Sports in consultation with the H.R.D Ministry should make it very clear that sports are very much a part of education. Broadly there are three parts of education.
• Mental
• Spiritual
• Physical
We fail to realize that the importance of the physical part. Sports form a major part of physical education. The Government of India has major plans to spend in the social sector, especially in the education sector. Much of the focus is on elementary education. An addition of 2% education cess has been imposed by the Government in addition to service tax. This would result in additional corpus for education spending. I would strongly recommend that at least up to 30% of the education budget be spent on creating of sports infrastructure at school level and if possible should form a part of the assessment of the child going from one grade to another. Physical education should be a main core subject at school. Grade/ marks should be given at the end of the academic year on the basis of individual’s performance over the entire year. One of the main criterions for assessment should be the child’s performance at various levels. (School, district, state , nationals, international). This would encourage students to excel various sports to achieve higher grades.

*MAKING SPORTS A MAJOR CAREER OPTION.

In the present day scenario, if you ask any school going kid about his aspirations. I am sure that not even 1% aspire to be Olympic stars (sports stars) with the exception of cricket which falls into a different category altogether. We know that cricket won’t be an Olympic sport in many years to come.
To make Sports a major career option we have to ensure that all sports men at least those who are playing at national level. This is only possible if private and pubic sector companies provide jobs/sponsorships etc to all those who have achieved a certain level of competency in their sport. This is all possible by ways which we have already discussed at in the earlier section.(DIRECT PRIVATE PARTICIPATION).
We understand that a sportsman career is very short. The Ministry of sports should ensure that that retired athletes get their due in terms of pensions/insurance/ social security/ medical treatment for the entire family etc.

NEED FOR RESEARCH IN ANCIENT INDIAN PRACTICES OF YOGA/AURVEDA

We are all aware of the various drug scandals across the globe in the field of sports. Chinese have very successfully used their ancient medicines to enhance sports performances.
We should be privileged to have a rich heritage with an abundance of knowledge. I am more than certain that practice of Yoga can greatly enhance performance in stamina related sporting activities and sports requiring high level of concentration. Almost all sports require certain degree of concentration and focus. Yoga can form a part of a sportsman training regime.
The Aurvedic medicines/ healing therapies can supplement the existing sports medicines. There are certain natural steroids which can form a topic of research. If found to be free of side effects, can be used very successfully used in strength sports. (Subject to acceptance by Sports governing bodies). I am sure that investment in Sports medicine /research will pay rich dividends in long term.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL the above ideas have definitely been conceived before. The list is not exhaustive and many more can be added and improved upon. My aim in compiling a few of them is that the decision making bodies will act as soon as possible and make major policy decisions before it’s too late. The VISION 2020 will not be accomplished if any further delay is there. Changes affected now will reap fruits only between 10-15 years from now.

WE have to stop this blaming culture where instead of finding solutions and working as a strong team we blame someone or the other for our sporting failures. Finding scape goats is a common Indian culture, Instead of analyzing and reasoning problem areas. I hope this paper is paid heed to by the decision making bodies.

Please note: The figures mentioned in the article are not absolute. The aim is to convey the correct sentiment. Any constructive critical comments are most welcome. For comments and feedback please contact.

Name: Amit Taank
E- Mail: ataank@rediffmail.com
Tel: 9810347175
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

VISION 2020!

Post by jayakris »

Hi Amit: Can you tell us something about yourself, your background on these topics, and for what purpose you made this document first. This being your first post, we don't have much of a handle on where you are coming from ...

It's easier to comment, when we know the context of what we are commenting on.

Jay
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

VISION 2020!

Post by BSharma »

Amit,

I have the same question as Jay.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Vision 2020

Post by mugu »

I too have the same question as Jay and BS, Amit. Yet, for starters, let me make a few observations here:
1) The IOA had been seeking hundred per cent tax exemption for sports-promotion projects for the past two decades or more. (Suresh Kalmadi makes it a point to say this every time he gets re-elected.) I am not saying that it is a bad idea. But the theme looks worn-out;
2) Direct funding of National federations by private public sector undertakings: Already on. But putting more Central Govt funds into the federations's hands directly is fraught with danger. (Take the case of All India Chess Federation and the rumblings in the Indian Hockey Federation)
3) Industry/PSUs can adopt particular disciplines: Already on, under an MoU signed by the CII and the IOA a couple of years ago plus individual federation agreements. (Examples: Ambuja Cements-wrestling, TI Cycles-Cycling; Sahara-Cricket, hockey, ONGC-Football (not just for NFL)
PKBasu

VISION 2020!

Post by PKBasu »

The key step to better Indian sporting performances is a thorough overhaul of our sports federations. Until these dinosaurs (and their governance) are thoroughly reformed, the institutional mechanisms for sports success will simply not exist, and we will continue to depend on individual brilliance and extraordinary family commitment. That is simply no way to build a genuine sporting culture.
ataank

Discussion on vision 2020! continues.

Post by ataank »

First of all let me take this oppertunity to thank all those who have taken the initiative for commenting on this topic.
Let me make it very clear that i have no personal interests when I offer these thoughts. This just highlights the concern of one of the many sports enthusiasts in this country.
As far as I am concerned I am at present a naval officer working for a foreign flag company. I have been actively involved in sports for a major part of schooling and college days. Athletics has been my main stay all this while. Having played and won various competitions at nation levels I have good understanding of the ground realities of our system. I may not be an administrator but I really believe that clear sinsireity on the part of the Ministry of sports in making strong national policies is the only way to achieve significant results in the olympics.
In reference to Magu's comments I want to clarify a few things. I am not seeking 100% tax exemption for sports spending. I am trying to evolve a more rational approach. The government may be reluctant to go off these taxes. What I am saying is that the goveniment reduces its direct spending in funding its sports activities by an amount is has exempted private sector players. pls read doc. again for greater clarification.
Let me also make it clear that sincereity on the part of the central government is the only way forward. If we cannot evolve a more accountable central monitoring agency, this nation will not have a sporting future we all dream of.
I do agree that some PSU/Industry have adopted a few sports but there is a long way to go in this field. You can only think of greater number of medals if you have more and more disciplines which have potential, to be supported by the industry and the state.
I do agree that the changes are positive but what worries me the is that the rate of reforms is not fast enough to keep pace with India's economic progress. I hope all of you would agree with this aspect.

Once again i thank all those who have contributed. Keep writing. Also if possible please add on yourself to INDIA OLYMPIC VISION GROUP on rediff connections. to add greater support for the cause.

Regards
Amit Taank
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

VISION 2020!

Post by jayakris »

Amit: I merged the new thread you started with the old one.

Jay
mugu
Authors
Authors

VISION 2020!

Post by mugu »

Amit wrote:
"In reference to Magu's comments I want to clarify a few things. I am not seeking 100% tax exemption for sports spending. I am trying to evolve a more rational approach. The government may be reluctant to go off these taxes. What I am saying is that the goveniment reduces its direct spending in funding its sports activities by an amount is has exempted private sector players. pls read doc. again for greater clarification."
I read that again; this is what you wrote in the original vision document:
"The Ministry of Finance / IT Dept. should allow deduction in taxes in the company’s Income Tax Returns for the money spent by them in patronizing/funding sports bodies."
This is what Kalmadi calls hundred per cent exemption; this is what I understand as hundred per cent exemption. That is if company X spends one crore rupees for promoting athletics in the country, that one crore will be shown as `exempt' from IT, provided of course they go through all the verification process..(I am not good at these things. You may pl correct me.)
A couple of more points that Amit has raised:
"I do agree that some PSU/Industry have adopted a few sports but there is a long way to go in this field. You can only think of greater number of medals if you have more and more disciplines which have potential, to be supported by the industry and the state."
I also agree. Kalmadi agrees, too. Sunil Dutt won't differ, I am sure. There are disciplines that have the potential, but the industry is not readily coming forward. Is there a remedy? (The only remedy so far seen has been for ministers (who are somebody in a federation) to use their political clout and get PSUs to cough up.)
"I do agree that the changes are positive but what worries me the is that the rate of reforms is not fast enough to keep pace with India's economic progress. I hope all of you would agree with this aspect."Spot on! One can't differ with you there at all. That's why the PwC forecasts came unstuck, in the case of India at least, at the Athens Olympics. (Let's hope CWG2010 will change that if not AG2006)
http://www.pwcglobal.com/extweb/ncpress ... A60050B043
(I haven't checked the others to be sure whether any one else came close!)
ataank

JAY'S COMMENTS

Post by ataank »

Thanks jay for the effort in merging of old and the new threads.
In logical terms you and the others may be right in saying that what you call as 100% tax exemptions. Dont you agree that the government would have to let go off that valueable tax which it needs for a lot of social purposes. What I am calling of for is direct funding by private/public players in running/supporting and managing of sports federations with appropriate reduction of indirect funding by the G. O. India. Quite rational and a win-win situation. Don't you think so?
Also your comments on the education sector reforms towards achieving this vision would be most welcome.
Thanks once again.
Keep writing
Regards
Amit
anilkumar

Sports Vision 2020

Post by anilkumar »

The views expressed are often directly or otherwise debated at various forums but never have reached a level of implimentation because of the rotten system of governance in this country.
It is even more dissapointing that there is near unanimity on the points discussed but never a meeting point on how to go about it.
Ideally, it involves preparing a White paper on the Indian Sports Administration on a warfooting with a commitment and authority to execute the basic recommendations within specific time frames.
Such Vision 2020 like documents would help get started.
There are a whole lot of macro and micro inputs needed to revamp the system.
I would outline the macro concept of sports system restructuring as an integration of the Health, Education and sports programmes of the GOI & State Govts with a defined role for private and public sector participation supported by developmetal incentives and guided by the socio-economic factors of each region or culture.
This requires a hard core - reformist person at the helm of affairs willing to take the existing system along and at the same time setting the trends needed for change . ....be it the Sports Minister or the IOA President or the SAI DG....who cares.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

VISION 2020!

Post by Dhruv »

Hi Ataank,

Just read your post in some detail. I will post a quick response and even though you have a disclaimer at the bottom about figures ;-). You mentioned that the sports budget should be about 2% of GDP and I would suggest that target is fairly aggresive simply because the defense expensditure as % of GDP in India is slightly higher than 2% and they seem to have difficulty raising that number. % of GDP figures are always misleading and not always the best measure to use in a developing country like India esp when comparing across countries. This is due to a variety of reasons that I am sure PKB will be more than ready to refute or support.

Anyway, hopefully I can go through the doc and come back with some constructive feedback.

Cheers
ataank

Dhruv's suggestion!

Post by ataank »

Thanks Dhruv for your constructive feedback. I fully agree that figures quoted in terms of GDP can be quite misleading. 2% of GDP figure is quite agressive therefore I would like an amendment towards that.
I hope you and the others would support figures in terms of % of budgetery allocation. To start with 2% of the total annual budgetry allocation would be quite fair. Hope similar comments will enrich the paper further and it could result as an aid towards the blue print for the national sports policy.
Once again thanks and do keep writing.
Regards
Amit
sindol

Re: Sports Vision 2020

Post by sindol »

anilkumar wrote:The views expressed are often directly or otherwise debated at various forums but never have reached a level of implimentation because of the rotten system of governance in this country.
It is even more dissapointing that there is near unanimity on the points discussed but never a meeting point on how to go about it.
Ideally, it involves preparing a White paper on the Indian Sports Administration on a warfooting with a commitment and authority to execute the basic recommendations within specific time frames.
Such Vision 2020 like documents would help get started.
There are a whole lot of macro and micro inputs needed to revamp the system.
I would outline the macro concept of sports system restructuring as an integration of the Health, Education and sports programmes of the GOI & State Govts with a defined role for private and public sector participation supported by developmetal incentives and guided by the socio-economic factors of each region or culture.
This requires a hard core - reformist person at the helm of affairs willing to take the existing system along and at the same time setting the trends needed for change . ....be it the Sports Minister or the IOA President or the SAI DG....who cares.
hi all,
A newbie out here. i fully agree with the above views. We all talk about how things need to be done. All the newspapers will come with such suggestions pre and post olympics.
But is there a system in place. I am a die-hard sports enthusiast (actively involved in school and college sports) and am more than willing to step into sports administration. But do i have any path to tread on? just meet up the various federation officials and we can realise why the system is in rut.
I just dont know how to get into the system. if offered the right incentives i am sure they are many like me who can devote themeselves for the cause. and what we do need is the performers rather than just lip-service.
Please guide me on the right track. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Amar