New 'Sportal' to provide valuable info on Indian sports!

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by gbelday »

http://in.rediff.com/sports/2004/nov/30dutt.htm

Hey Dutt saab, thats a start!! how about taking at look at this forum for some ideas!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dutt, who launched 'Sportal', the official website of the Sports Ministry in New Delhi on Tuesday, did not give any direct reply when asked if he was satisfied with the functioning of the IHF.

On the website "sportal.nic.in", designed by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Dutt said it would provide valuable information concerning Indian sports.

"It will be useful to everyone as people can know more about sports. We will be updating it regularly. This website covers not only Olympic sports, but also other games being played in India."

When his attention was drawn to the other aspects of the website, Dutt said "this is just a muhurat. We are working on it and you will see the improvements very soon."
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Here is the link to the website Sportal.

http://www.sportal.nic.in/

Check it out and give your opinion.
david

Post by david »

Good site. A lot of things are there. I am wondering if it is done by the Singapore based Sportalasia.com of Sportal.com

But lot of teething problems. And many sections have to be updated. Hopefully, they will rectify them soon.

But a wonderful beginning. I like it.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Site is well done ... But some information is wrong, lots record not included and showing some past records ... Hope those all probs will sorted out soon ... But as David said, Wonderful begining.

Jaydeep.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

There is a website called sportal.com, and there is an Australian website called http://www.sportal.com.au/. I wonder if the sportal people made the website for India.
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

The site is OK...its baisically just links to other sites as far as ive seen

I was a little bemused at why there is a basketball player for the knicks--I beleive it is Shandon anderson who was recently cut---on the homepage up at the top :kookoo:
david

Post by david »

THe Sportal guys are the ones who started the hockeyasia.com for the AHF
But after they shifted from HOng Kong to Singapore, somehow the contract was renewed or what happened I don't know but the site stoped

They also do lot of fgn football sites and the australian one.

they are really good and professional stuff.
But I feel it is not them.
Otherwise it would be much, much better.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Saw this article in Hindu... About how the Govt website has PT Usha's name mis-spelled..

http://www.hindu.com/2005/02/26/stories ... 611700.htm

Quote from the article,
Make a visit to the Union Sports Ministry's `sportal', the website launched by the Youth Affairs and Sports Minister, Sunil Dutt, last November, www.sportal.nic.in Click `Legends', right in the middle, at the top, scroll down and reach `P', then look for the country's best known woman athlete.

It is there. But wait, it sounds strange, `Payyoli Thevaraparampil Usha'.

You always thought it was `Pilavullakandi Thekkeparambil'. And you were right. It happened to be a mouthful, especially to those uninitiated to a Malayalee name.
Her name is really a mouthful and I didn't know her full name until now .. but with such a long name not sure, I will remember it :oops:
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Usha's reaction to that mistake in the website.. Naturally she seems little peeved..
Recollecting another grave mistake, she said her bio-data published by the Ministry four years ago had carried the photograph of M.D. Valsamma, another athelete from the state, instead of her.
http://www.hindu.com/2005/02/27/stories ... 361700.htm
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

Writing `Pilavullakanoi Thekkaparambil" instead of `PILAVULLAKANDI THEKKEPARAMBIL' could be mis-spelling, but it cannot be construed so when you name her as `Payyoli Thevaraparampil'. That is a new name altogether, even if it ends with USHA.
That the site doesn't have any data on Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore even after six months after Olympics is shameful.
That it hasn't bothered to include Anju George among the legends (while having Neelam J. Singh) more than one and a half years after her World championship bronze, just shows how much people in Sports Ministry know about sport in general.
That the Ministry big-wigs couldn't bother about K. D. Jadhav being left out, just proves to show, why `babus' are unfit to rule on sports matters.
Sunil Dutt should order the temporary closure of the site till it brushes up with Indian sports history and its managers fill up data.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I thought of writing on this a couple of months back when I saw that website. I saw the Payyoli Tevarapparambil and knew it must have been wrong - as I always knew it as "pilavullakandi thekkepparambil" (being a malayali I knew that because the words literally mean "from the south yard of the property with jackfruit trees"!!) ... I wanted to check if my memory was somehow wrong before posting it, but forgot.

Looks like Usha did notice.

I think some malayali must have wrote the wrong words too, because "tevaraparambil" is also a malayalam word. She is from Payyoli .. But that is the kind of shoddy work this kind of a website should not tolerate.

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Mahesh Bhupathi's name is written wrongly too, though this is a more common spelling mistake.

Of course Vinoo Mankad is missing in the "legends" page, and that IS unpardonable.

There is Vijay hazare, but not Vijay Merchant. I disagree on that pick.

Ramesh Krishnan is not a legend, I guess ...

There is a "Vijay Prakash Amritraj" listed. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing that as Vijay's middle name.

Mewalal and Chuni Goswami are missing ..

I do remember that the first name I looked for was "Jimmy George" -- and I was indeed glad that his name was there. That was really the big surprise for me.

Jay