Harsh Mankad thread (archive-1)

This is the resting place for archived threads. Typically from threads that had become too long and had to be split to allow easier moderation.
Kim

Taking Matters into our Hands

Post by Kim »

I continue to be very frustrated with the lack of high profile sponsorships for our tennis players and the fact that Harsh is burning through his own cash (particularly when incidents like Miami happen) really gets my blood boiling.

Clearly we need to take this matter seriously and at the very least establish a network of support for these guys while they are travelling. We currently have a vast geographical area covered among us and can easily put forth room and board along with access to tennis courts/practice time and possibly even transportation. Our players need to focus on their game and nothing else.

I know that Jay is thinking through a game plan on actual sponsorships but in the meantime I would urge the group to create this network.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Now I m feeling players from subcontinent have to play price of this visa issues ... Its bad becoz such incident can make or break their careers ... Opportunity of playing AO qualifying miss by this visa fiasco ... Hope Harsh get neede lucky break in 2005.

Kim's suggestion is good one ... Should do some action regarding that ASAP.

Jaydeep.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

This news item is not about tennis but about golf so why am I posting it in Mankad's thread? Because the world number one golfer Vijay Singh and PGA golfer Daniel Chopra brought out a big problem with sponsoring of Indian sports-stars.

Vijay Singh, Daniel Chopra, British Open champion Todd Hamilton, and Justin Rose played a skins game in New Delhi during Diwali. Vijay Singh remembered a talented young golfer Ashok Kumar who he had met in 2002 in India and wondered why he was not playing on the Asian PGA Tour. Vijay's caddie in India (Amritinder Singh - a pro golfer) informed him that Ashok does not have any sponsorship and is unable to play on the Tour. Daniel Chopra correctly added, "Most companies tell players that you win some tournaments and then they will sponsor him or her. They need to understand that once you win tournaments you don't need sponsors because you are earning money from the tour."

Players like Harsh need the sponsorship to get a foot into the door, and once they can start winning tournaments then sponsorship is not so important to stay afloat.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 922092.cms
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I have a different take. I don't want the companies to understand anything like that -- all I want the idiots to understand is that there is a large chunk of benefit from sponsoring a player even when they are not winning.

Hell, why the hell should they care if the sportsman won or loss, if their sponsorship is mentioned in a newspaper or TV report or is seen by people watching the game on TV or on site ??? .. How known is the sportsmen's name is known should be enough, as far as I can figure out. The paltry few good/decent sportsmen India has are much much more well known to much more people in the educated middle class with purchasing power, than much better "winning" sportsmen with much better results in foreign countries (who now get much more sponsorship than the Indian sportsmen).

As far as I am concerned the advertisement and sponsorship departments of Indian companies are filled with incompetent idiots. I am a strong believer in that. They don't see how much of a goldmine of opportunities Indian sportsmen give them for paltry expense for product endorsement, and they all waste their money competing with other companies for cricketers whjo are all selling the same products and cancelling each other out -- these guys are getting no worth for their money and the idiots don't see it.

Bottom line -- we need no stinking charity from the Indian industry for our sportsmen to get their foot in the door. We need them to get a clue and start making use of what the Indian sportsmen can give THEM.

Jay

PS: I did see a recent Financial Times article about how a few people in some of the companies are wisening up to the futility of using cricketers (finally!) and are beginning to finally use their brains for a change. The article seemed to say that cricket money will go down a bit in the future .. That would be a good dvelopment for other sports, as long as they don't divert all the money to just Bollywood stars.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Mankad and Ghouse/Marshall should trying to play more doubles to earn some money if Mankad runs out of money and cannot tour otherwise. It is sad, but at least that way he can play some singles qualies and get in. Maybe win a few and then money will come.

-pm
premkumar

Post by premkumar »

Jay,Thats exactly what I am trying to say in my other post.By filing a PIL we can raise a storm,can make a noise and if players like VA,LP,MB ,MICHAEL FEREIRA,PT USHA,PRAKASH PADUKONE ETC CAN BE INVOLVED ,MEDIA WILL HAVE TO WAKE UP AND LISTEN TO THEM.Also ,like I earlier said,Govt. can form a policy that their tenders and ads will be released only to those channels and papers ,that promote olympic sports ,media will come ,crawling on their knees.But for all this to happen a huge hue and cry has to be created ,involving top sportsmen of the country.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think that is a good idea, but the case might not be accepted. Does it have any legal merit? Who will take up the case?

-Prasenjit
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Well we all assumed Harsh would be in the Chennai Open but is that even a guarantee? So far according to PKB's post in the Chennai Open thread only PA has been given a wildcard. Anyone know what the status on Harsh getting one is?
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

If its anything like last year even Harsh wont know till 24 hours before
Harsh

Tennis

Post by Harsh »

I've been doing my rehab and training lately and haven't been updating. I wanted some time to myself. My rehab and training are both going very well. Unfortunate that I couldn't play the Bombay event at my club, but hoping to be ready for next season.

The impression on Indian tennis is not surprising. I can talk for myself and so I won't generalize. I'm learning things on my own. My eyes are opening to what it takes through my own experiences. Through the ups and downs that I go through on the tour. I am not strong enough, fit enough etc etc (all that is said about me) and I have learned how to improve those aspects and what kind of training to do, through initiatives I took and made happen by myself. I often find myself in situations that I don't want to be in and be a part off after I'm actually in the situation itself. The warning or caution doesn't come before hand. I sometimes find myself blowing up and venting my feelings and making enemies that i don't want to make, with people whom I don't have ill feelings towards, because a young twenty year old like me isn't mature enough to know how better to react. I found myself at the Univ. of Minnesota when I actually wanted to be on the tour. I have endured many obstacles and more and am proud of the way I've gone about things. I could be in the top 150 today had things gone better, had I done things better, but that's ok. I will learn from it and try to do better next year.

But what I will do is make other people/players who are working extremely hard, doing the best they can, feel good about themselves rather than making them feel as if they are 'no good' and are 'failures'. There are few who are fortunate enough to be on the top of their careers, and then there are many who don't make it or haven't yet, and I am part of the latter group and I don't consider myself or any of my "group" mates as failures or any less.

I have a high regard and always will deep down for all the Indian players whom I have seen that played and competed. A lot of them are 'winners'. They have a unique spirit. That spirit is very much Alive... No where close to being dead.

Harsh.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Harsh, first wishing u healthy recovery and thanking u to writing ur views.

TOUCHE' ... Well said Harsh ... U really speak out lots many Indian tennis players mind ... I agree with u, that if u got lucky break earlier in ur career then u would be in Top 100 ... u r too modest to say it Top 150 ... But players who r fortunate to get right kind of break at right time should check their feelings when talking about whole Indian tennis and should try to support them ... atleast verbally ... And should encourage them to be succeed in their career through giving them tips to tackle situation.

Man respect about u increasing day by day ... :xmas: U r turning into great sports ambassador and wishing u :goodluck: for ur training and rehabilation ... And wishing exciting years ahead.

Jaydeep.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

i guess harsh read premkumars post about the ABN interview on ndtv.

it really is a sad affair when indian athletes who have made it cant support others who are tryin to make more of their lives "at least verbally" as jaydeep said. in the end all you can measure a man by is if he did everything he could do to accomplish whatever he set out to do. if one puts their best effort forward thats all anyone can ask for.

harsh all i can say is in our eyes you dont fall into the category of someone "who hasn't made it" perhaps you arent in the top 150 in mens tennis...YET...but you are in the top list of players who have class on and off the court.

keep working hard as i know you are and the results will speak for themselves. the detractors say, "hes too slow, hes too small" but pay them know heed. ' If Rochus brothers who both stand under 5'7 can make into the top 150 theres no reason why you cant with determination.

i wish you the best of luck in the rehabbing and preparation for the upcoming year. its a fresh whole new year with tons of tournaments ripe for the taking. Make advances in any and your ranking will only go up and up!
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

Hey Harsh---its funny, i had just posted in another thread that i would be interested to see your thoughts on this topic--ive edited it out now

First off, over the course of your 47 posts its been great to see ur level of intellect and to know that you think on a much deeper than your average athlete....you say you vent your frustrations and create enemies but personally, with the way you've been treated I firmly believe youve handled it wonderfully and kept your cool

Good Luck in 2005...If you keep at it the way you have been you WILL reach the top 150 and prove us at the forum wrong about the state of mens tennis

Never Give up!