What do you think of this

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

and I guess the Nehru-Gandhi family and Indian politicians in general. I thought this one was typically over the top by the Congress leaders. I know sucking up comes naturally to these guys but come on ....

Sonia's birthday to be observed as `renunciation day'

Some highlights of the article and Shivraj Patil takes the bloody cake: After Ram, Budhha, Mahanta Gandhi we have ...... WTF

Sonia Gandhi was saluted today by her partymen on the eve of her birthday tomorrow, which will be observed as `Tyaag Divas' (renunciation day), a celebration of her giving up the Prime Minister's post in May.

Mr. Patil set the tone for the evening, noting that history spoke of many leaders who had become role models. Lord Rama, "who happily opted for exile on the eve of his coronation," Lord Buddha, "though born in a King's place, opted for renunciation to understand the common man's pain," and Mahatma Gandhi, "who opted to be with the riot victims in Bengal when India became free," were among them.

Mr. Patil said: "All the virtues of these great men are manifest in Ms. Sonia Gandhi. She is an asset not just to the Congress party or to India, but to the whole humanity." He recalled that like all these great men Ms. Gandhi had endured personal loss with equanimity and fortitude, and led the struggle for ideas. He commended the book as an epic that would inspire generation after generation.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

Leaders are judged by history that is written long after the death of these politicians. Our grandchildren and great-grandchildren will find out if Sonia will belong in the same category as Lord Ram, Buddha and Gandhiji or not. If I have to place a bet it will be on "not".
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

:rofl: :rofl:

this is absolutley ludacris...those comparisons are hilarious too
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

This just shows the bunch of toadies that congress leaders have become...

I would tell you she gave up nothing... Sacrificed nothing..
She has just sacrificed the responsibility that comes up with POST while Enjoying the power that comes with it.. PVNarsimha Rao Was able to wiggle out of her power.. Can Mr. Manmohan Singh do the same?

Also see this article as to how the govt argued in SC that PM has prerogative to appoint any person (irrespective of whether that person is tainted), becoz of coalition politics..
http://us.rediff.com/news/2004/dec/08govt.htm
Last edited by Kumar on Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

This just shows the bunch of toadies that congress leaders have become...
become? heck, i think that they've been like this since the beginning of time
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

gvhvhg: cha-ching! :)

Jay
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

lol :wink:
vkd_1717

Post by vkd_1717 »

i no dis is late but i just read Ram, Budha and Mathma Gandhi in the same sentence as Sonia Gandhi... then again i could have misread
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Jairam Ramesh started this notion of comparing Sonia to the "pantheon" of renunciates in Indian history starting from Buddha to Mahatma Gandhi, etc. Deifying a politician is ludicrous under any circumstances. But doing so to a puny figure like Sonia Gandhi is the height of idiocy.
vkd_1717

Post by vkd_1717 »

u shuldnt b comparing todays people to gandhiji n buddha .... but if ur gonna compare an indian living today to buddha n mathma gandhi it shuld b anil kumble not sonia gandhi
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

haha
prasen9

Re: What do you think of this

Post by prasen9 »

Last edited by prasen9 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I always find these university rankings as sponsored efforts.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Who sponsored what? It is highly possible. However, what they say has some kernel of truth. Ignore the exact rankings. But, if the same rankings have changed over time, it is useful to understand why universities are moving up or down using the same scheme.

In every aspect of academic research (at least in the STEM fields) I have seen East Asian countries move up by leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. At least in my field. I have not seen similar progress in Latin America or Africa. In India, I have seen some small, slow progress. The increase in per capita income of East Asia is not a sponsored effort.

As I have said before, it is easy to shoot at the messenger and dismiss things. But, if someone has some thoughts on the content, I would like to hear about it. I do not think they faked the data even though they may have had some agenda in choosing the metrics.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I am happy to discuss but it depends on the hypothesis that we are formulating off these rankings.

It sounds like yours is that East Asian education has come leaps and bounds.

I do not see that in my sphere of life at all, we have had to shut down our offices in East Asia and consolidate APAC operations in Australia largely due to finding the quality of hires extremely poor (and these were kids who went to supposed top schools).

My personal experience interviewing a lot of kids who went to NUS, Peking or Tsinghua and then went for higher ed in the US is very similar. Their thought process while structured tends to be very narrow and generally lack curiosity while being defensive. It is a bit of a generalization and I can get into it more later.

Getting out research paper(s) even in the stem fields is mostly a matter of application and guidance, and for the most part, I do not consider it as showing correlation to the actual quality of education (unless the end goal of that education is to have more publications, in which case, well done).