Santosh Trophy

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

murlikt

Santosh Trophy

Post by murlikt »

Hi has many ppl been following the Santosh trophy?

There is much media attention on this tournament especially on rediff and timesofindia, and looks like a exciting tournament with some players doing well who aren't even playing for India.

Has anyone in India seen some action on tv?

From the media looks like Delhi, Kerala, Punjab, Goa, Manipur doing well. Sunil Chetri from delhi scoring many goals and Syed Rahim nabi scoring for Bengal. So far the strikers in the current India team are not doing well, like Yadav and Biswas not scoring. Baichung will play with sikkim after his injuery is healed.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Santosh trophy

Post by jayakris »

Yes, I have been following it. Lots of coverage because it is in Delhi and all the newspapers have soimebody in Delhi...

I have always cared a LOT for Santosh trophy. When I was growing up in Kerala, that was what mattered most for me every year. Kerala never won it all that much (like Bengal and other teams which always seemed to have the best Kerala players) .. Even now Kerala keeps going there with players nobody has ever heard of, and they still play the best football out there, even if they don't win it.

I almost became an 8 year old again last year when Kerala lost such a close final. Almost cried like I did in early 70s whenever Kerala lost.

Thanks for starting a thread. I was about to give up on the football fans who come here -- it took this long for us to start a thread on Santosh Trophy. I suppose it shows the state of affairs in soccer in India.

Jay
murlikt

Santosh trophy

Post by murlikt »

haha no problem

Well i hope that the selectors are watching the santosh trophy because India is not playing well and we always have to rely on Baichung to do well. I just wanted to ask:

1. who do you think will win it
2. what happened to Jopaul Ancheri? he was one of India's best midfielders
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Santosh trophy

Post by jayakris »

Here is the latest on Jo Paul (and also Vijayan)

Vijayan, Ancheri finally part ways

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Santosh trophy

Post by jayakris »

Hey, Kerala beat Delhi 2-1 and made the semifinal! .. Go Malloooooos!!!

Jay
nnipp

Santosh trophy

Post by nnipp »

Ancheri was injured in practice before the Kolkata match against Japan. There is always at least a few Indian regulars injured at any given time due to the baffling year long schedule of Indian players. The AIFF is supposedly using the Santosh Trophy to scout players in preparation for the 2006 Asian Games and the Asian Cup. I am not so sure that there are any impressive under-22 players in the Santosh Trophy who already aren't well known. The AIFF would be better suited scouting the Subroto Cup and the Mir Iqbal Hussain trophy in prep for the future. Sunil Chetri and Syed Rahim Nabi always have put up good displays in the NFL but both are very small and don't have the tremendous skill needed to overcome their size disadvantage in international football.
amr090
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Santosh trophy

Post by amr090 »

man karnataka lost a close one and are out hehe i was disappointed. been a while since anyone from my state did anything in indian international football. i wish i could watch it just to see if there are any tall strong athletic players on any of these state teams.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Santosh trophy

Post by BSharma »

The Santosh trophy tournament used to be big when I was growing up in India. I believe that it still holds an important place in Indian football calender. It perhaps can help identify a few unknown players with good potential but in the long run, the Santosh Trophy tournament does not do much to improve the quality of Indian football.
shashi

Santosh trophy

Post by shashi »

amr090,reg tall,strong & athletic players punjabis,to some extent Keralites -remember Ancheri-and Coorgis from Karnataka fit the bill.
Coorgis are not into football as much as they are into hockey.I cannot recall any coorgi football player of any note.for a very small community,they have a strong representation is Indian sports.Just to recall a few names M.P Ganesh,M.M Somayya,A.B Subbaiah ,len Aiyappa in Hockey Arathi ponnappa,Rohan Bopanna in Tennis and Joshna Chinnappa in Squash.Last year N.C Aiyappa a young Coorgi fast bowler was selected to train in ACA after winning a fastest bowler contest in India.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Santosh trophy

Post by amr090 »

wherever these tall, strong athletes are we have to find them...that is what the national team is lacking. we have guys with some skill but they are much too small to face up to international standards.

i believe you have to have one of 3 types of players:

1. tall strong and athletic interms of a world class lvel

2. can be small but then their skills must be tremendous to make up for their lack of size (see diego maradona, freddy adu, etc.)

3. ideally players who fit 1 and 2, strong tall atletic and tremendous world class skills.

i would honestly be interested in knowing how scouting in India is done. we dont have one player in a country of 1 billion on the team that comes anywhere close to world standards. thats just laughable and pathetic. bhutia our best player was a bench player for a 2nd division English team. surely we have better that in india!
kathiresan_v

Santosh trophy

Post by kathiresan_v »

I always wondering why the name "Santosh Trophy"....sorry guys, going out of the context.

Kathir
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Santosh trophy

Post by BSharma »

Here is the link to the answer:

"The Santosh Trophy is the Indian National State Trophy which started in 1941. The trophy was donated by the Indian Football Association (IFA), the parent body of Bengal football, in the memory of late Maharaja Sir Manmatha Nath Roy Chowdhary of Santosh (now in Bangladesh). The late Maharaja remained the president of the IFA for a long time. The runners-up trophy, Kamla Gupta Trophy, was donated by late Dr. S.K. Gupta, ex-president, IFA in the memory of his wife. One more trophy, Sampangi Cup, was presented by the Mysore Football Association, now Karnataka Football Association in 1952, in the name of well-known football Sampangi. The trophy is for the third placed team (between losing semi-finalists)."

India - List of Santosh Trophy Finals
murlikt

Santosh trophy

Post by murlikt »

guys cmon lets enjoy the santosh trophy not worry about height, size, etc?

I agree tall players are priority for defence attack, etc but i think this tournament is more interesting than other club tournament because there is pride in playing for your province and we see all the areas of the nation play not just bengal goa. you think ppl come to the games to see the hieght of the players? they come to see brilliant skills thats why they pay money

And on Baichung even if he only played in the 2nd division in england cmon he has won many games for india off his own feet yaar thats enough for my respect. when he retire he will one day use his name to make football in india big

Anyways just enjoy the santosh cup at least we have to see inside india first before we can think big
nnipp

Santosh trophy

Post by nnipp »

Punjab has been a surprise and is dominating the competition. Who is Gurjit Singh Atwal? The Punjabi striker has 9 goals in only 4 matches! He is on the Border Security Force and hopefully he is not old and short.
kathiresan_v

Santosh trophy

Post by kathiresan_v »

Thanks Bhushanji.... interesting, the history starts from 1941!!!

Services, also the semi-finalists in the last edition, joined holders Manipur and runners-up Kerala in the last four.

The last spot goes to whom. Punjab? What happened to Bengal?

Kathir