Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Badminton Thread ...

Post by sameerph »

Yes, I read that. Still, the prize money in nothing compared to what they earn at international events. Prannoy won Rs. 2 lakhs for winning the title here while Srikanth won Rs. 33.61 lacs for winning the Denmark open a couple of weeks back and in excess of Rs. 15 lacs for winning French open last week. So, there is something else other than money which has made them all to play nationals this year.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

sameerph wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 pm Yes, I read that. Still, the prize money in nothing compared to what they earn at international events. Prannoy won Rs. 2 lakhs for winning the title here while Srikanth won Rs. 33.61 lacs for winning the Denmark open a couple of weeks back and in excess of Rs. 15 lacs for winning French open last week. So, there is something else other than money which has made them all to play nationals this year.
No, prize money is more ... This nationals prize money was more than $150K, i.e. equivalent to prize money of Grand Prix Gold tournament ... Also with promised big prize money, top shuttlers confirmed participation so BAI got big sponsorers and organized matches at international-standard facilities ... So everything is interlinked.
Further, starting this year, top players will be offered direct entry into the quarterfinal stage of the tournament. A quarterfinal appearance could fetch a player Rs 1 lakh, while a place in the final will fetch Rs 5 lakh.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

It is the fact that they know that they will be playing against some of the top players in the world. Winning brings some glory and losing to somebody good doesn't hurt too badly... because they can anyway go and do well later in the world tour (where they can all get some wins and keep the rankings/respect). In tennis, there is no glory in winning the nationals because nobody accepts the wins to have come against the top players. Losing can hurt, on the other hand, and so they all try to protect the so-so rankings and respect they have earned in the world tour and stay away rather than risk losses and have people say that they are all no good. Act big and try to keep whatever respect they all get.

In other words, it's from a lack of respect to themselves as a group to be something significant in the world, in tennis, as opposed to respect to themselves as a somewhat formidable group in badminton. So at least a decent level of prize money would get the badminton players in, whereas in tennis, you have to offer something more than similar world events to get them all in. Offer a $150K prize money for a field of $50K quality and the men will all probably come in tennis, but offer $75K for men in badminton and they will consider it as good as a $200K tour event and show up.
Varma

Post by Varma »

The camaraderie within this bunch of players, and the mutual respect and genuine affection they show for each other is what makes me love Indian badminton more these days. I am sure next year they will push each other to do even better and dominate the international scene a lot more than what they did this year. This is me purely speculating but I think someone like Prannoy, who is supremely talented but lack consistency, will reach greater heights which wouldn't be possible without him being part of this positive group. They will egg him on to do better but will firmly keep him grounded. Again, this is just pure speculation from my end. We are lucky that Gopi was born in India. Without him we will be nowhere closer to where we are currently at.

- Varma
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

sameerph wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 pm Still, the prize money in nothing compared to what they earn at international events. Prannoy won Rs. 2 lakhs for winning the title here
My bad, you were right that winner received 2 lacs and runner-up got 1.5 lacs ... The stadium was full-packed with cheering crowd, players were very excited by playing in front of them ... This national was hugely successful for BAI and sponsors.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

But is increasing the load of the players by one more tournament, especially one that does not have any points or international prestige on offer, in an already packed and gruelling calendar wise?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Agree Prasenjit, this week our all players skipped Macau Open, Grand Prix Gold tournament, for the national.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

It seems Srikanth got injured during Nationals and will not be able to play China open. He had a good shot at becoming world no 1. It seems the timing of the Nationals was not very good.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/badmi ... 599395.cms
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I do not think we really need the players to play in a "nationals". We should hold international tournaments.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Srikanth would have run into Prannoy in the 2nd round. Now, we can assume Prannoy, if he can play as per current form will face Son Wan Ho in the quarter final- a match he has a great chance of winning.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I think there is some element of smart planning here.

Srikanth needs to match Axelsen in the last 3 tournaments to get to #1. Axelsen if he goes deep in China will likely pull out of HK the week after (he has struggled with getting 2 strong weeks in a row).

Prannoy needs to get to the semis in at least one week to make the year-end finals.

Assuming Srikanth was feeling a niggle and given how tight matches between him and Prannoy go, it is strategic to pull out and give Prannoy an easy run until the quarters.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I too think so. In the article, it is mentioned that he will play Honkong super series the week after. So, the injury may not be that serious and it is probably a tactical withdrawal.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a nice article on who is there after Saina and Sindhu in Indian womens badminton -

Who after Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu?

Hope Ruthvika Shivani can get back stronger after a lot of injuries this year. She looked to be top 30 material at least last year before injuries. But, not sure if she can reach the level of Saina and Sindhu.

Else, we have to wait how Gopichand's daughter comes along in a few years time.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Varma

Post by Varma »

Handoyo quits as Indian Coach

Not something we would like to deal with at this juncture! :(

- Varma