Indian Badminton Thread ...

Moderator: Moderators

gautam

Re: Indian Badminton Thread ...

Post by gautam »

Omkara wrote:Unfortunatley nothing on TV. Everyone talking about Barfi, diesel price hike and FDI in retail. Even PKB did not not start PV sindhu's thread when he does so when a 15 year old Nagal does something amazing as juniors. India is obssessed with cricket and sports-india with tennis. Did I just got a bit too emotional about it? Maybe!
To be fair on the media, FDI and diesel is a much bigger deal :p
usaindian
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by usaindian »

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Watcha talking about, Omkara. The Sindhu thread is up and rocking already :) Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I agree we have a tennis bias on this forum. I have a cricket bias too.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Nothing like that. There is a lot more tennis that goes on, and so naturally people discuss a lot more of it. There isn't as much news to discuss in badminton. Plus, tennis is a bigger international sport that badminton anyway. You are speaking about a sport where we haven't even had 2 people in the top-200 in the world for nearly a qurter decade. That is the depth that tennis has in the world, and so people will take it as a bigger sport than badminton. Sindhu winning this match is similar to say Yuki upsetting a top-15 player in tennis. It's only Saina who tried to say some BS about straight comparisons across sports and put her foot firmly in her mouth unnecessarily. But what Sindhu has done just now is remarkable. We have noticed it well here and everybody is as excieted as they need to be. No tennis bias and all that, in my opinion.

I don't know about the Indian media. They are clueless anyway, all the time. Collectively THE most incompetent television and print media, in comparison to any of the top-25 or so serious countries in the world. So, not suprising if they paid no attention to what Sindhu did.

Jay
ssp

Post by ssp »

What a fantastic win by Sindhu.
Looks like she is going to give us many more days like this.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Badminton may not be as big a sports as tennis. But I guess the way it is producing champions, it deserves a separate forum. Hope the mods notice
suresh

Post by suresh »

gbelday wrote:Awesome! I recall Sandeep commenting a few months about not being impressed with Sindhu's game. If I recall correctly, he talked about Sindhu's lack of court coverage. I am just curious too see if Sandeep (or others here) still feel that way.
I saw the repeat telecast of the match on Neo Prime. Sindhu is very raw technically (as the commentator put it) and needs to work on her skills especially on the backhand side. Her speed is deceptive (she is a lot faster than she appears -- like Miloslav Mecir) and could be the source of Sandeep's comment. One could argue that Li lost the match yesterday rather than Sindu winning it -- the key was she stuck around and cashed in on Li's poor performance. The real upside is that once she catches up technically with the top players, they are in big trouble. Sindhu and the Thai teenager (who almost took out Xin Wang in the Olympics QF), Ratchanok Intanon, are the future of badminton alongside top Chinese players.
suresh

Post by suresh »

What is the connection between VVS Laxman scoring 281 at Eden Gardens and PV Sindhu playing badminton?
I will provide the answer, if it is not given by someone else, later today.
depleter

Post by depleter »

suresh wrote:
gbelday wrote:Awesome! I recall Sandeep commenting a few months about not being impressed with Sindhu's game. If I recall correctly, he talked about Sindhu's lack of court coverage. I am just curious too see if Sandeep (or others here) still feel that way.
I saw the repeat telecast of the match on Neo Prime. Sindhu is very raw technically (as the commentator put it) and needs to work on her skills especially on the backhand side. Her speed is deceptive (she is a lot faster than she appears -- like Miloslav Mecir) and could be the source of Sandeep's comment. One could argue that Li lost the match yesterday rather than Sindu winning it -- the key was she stuck around and cashed in on Li's poor performance. The real upside is that once she catches up technically with the top players, they are in big trouble. Sindhu and the Thai teenager (who almost took out Xin Wang in the Olympics QF), Ratchanok Intanon, are the future of badminton alongside top Chinese players.
actually there are quite a few who are suddenly bursting on to the scene..like:
Minatsu Mitani of japan who took out 2010 world champion lin wang (who is returning after an injury this year) in the first round and then knocking out world no 5 shixian wang in the second round.....lost to another upcoming thai Sapsiree Taerattanachai in the 3rd round...
Busanan Ongbumrungpan of thai ,16 year old one here....beating Xiao Jia Chen in first round then defeating 7th seed in 2nd round....lost to yanjioa jiang in quarters after fighting for 3 sets.....
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

jayakris wrote:Sindhu winning this match is similar to say Yuki upsetting a top-15 player in tennis. It's only Saina who tried to say some BS about straight comparisons across sports and put her foot firmly in her mouth unnecessarily. Jay

And, she ended up getting a medal while our tennis 'heroes' and 'heroines' turned an 'anda' :rofl:
ok then, let's send a recommendation from the forum to IOC that they should have two types of medals from the next Olympics - one for superior sports like Tennis and the other for inferior sports like Badminton, Wrestling :kookoo:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

suresh wrote:I saw the repeat telecast of the match on Neo Prime. Sindhu is very raw technically (as the commentator put it) and needs to work on her skills especially on the backhand side. Her speed is deceptive (she is a lot faster than she appears -- like Miloslav Mecir) and could be the source of Sandeep's comment. One could argue that Li lost the match yesterday rather than Sindu winning it -- the key was she stuck around and cashed in on Li's poor performance. The real upside is that once she catches up technically with the top players, they are in big trouble. Sindhu and the Thai teenager (who almost took out Xin Wang in the Olympics QF), Ratchanok Intanon, are the future of badminton alongside top Chinese players.
Thanks Suresh for excellent analysis ... :notworthy:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

akm, you have every right to your point of view. But the simple fact is that tennis is a much bigger sport internationally than badminton. To win an Olympic gold medal in tennis after all is not considered even the equivalent of winning a Slam. Nicholas Massu is an Olympic gold medalist in tennis singles, for instance, but is a forgotten man in tennis history; compare that to Andy Roddick or Michael Chang, the winners of a single Slam each in tennis (clearly much bigger names in the game than Massu). In badminton, the Olympic gold is clearly the biggest deal. Sadly, even the All-England badminton championships (which, at one time, was the biggest event of the year in badminton) is no longer quite as important, and it isn't even clear what is the alternative. Badminton is simply not a successful professional sport internationally -- while tennis and golf are the two truly global sports, and the two leading non-team sports in the world. When Arjun Atwal wins a PGA tour event, it is a big global event -- even though this would not even be the equivalent of a Super Series event in badminton.

Olympics have their own importance, and we should focus on them hugely when they come around once every four years (as we do indeed here). But for the intervening period of four years until the next Olympics, the other professional sports (including team ones like football and cricket) will naturally hold our attention, and the world's, far more than the main Olympic sports.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Let us move this to general discussion thread but the not so veiled reference in Jay's post was about the relative worth of Saina and Sania's exploits in their respective sports. AKM's response was tinged with sarcasm without rehashing the previous discussion when Saina complained about the biased treatment of her wins. Personally, on an individual level, I do not think Sania is ahead of Saina despite the lopsided difference between the global nature of two sports in question. I would actually rate Saina ahead of Sania. There is a lull In the forum, so let the attack/counter-attack begin. :devil:

P.S. Mods, please move this post to another thread and not sully the Indian badminton thread which is teeming with joy due to Sindhu's success. Thanks in advance.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sindhu lost the first game 10-21. The Chinese showing her greater experiecne here. Lets see if Sindhu can come back from here.