BWF World Championships 2019

Moderator: Moderators

Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: BWF World Championships 2019

Post by Varma »

kujo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:16 pm JIC and kujo are one and the same! just kidding... Hi Atithee!! :)

After all I have a soft spot for Sindhu - remember this post from almost 7 years back!?
viewtopic.php?f=8246&t=216494&hilit=lit ... 0#p4315665
viewtopic.php?f=8246&t=216494&hilit=lithe#p4315665
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Me too, Kujo. I’d like to say a “hard” spot but it’d sound totally unlike what I mean, which is that I always considered Sindhu a champion and Saina a crybaby, who couldn’t break the “Wang” curse. Sorry, don’t mean this to be a Sindhu vs. Saina debate, but just want to express my unabashed admiration for Sindhu.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Not trying to make it a Saina vs Sindhu debate, but Sindhu lost to Carolina Marin both at the Olympics and WC finals and Marin so far is the LXR of this generation. And won her WC with Marin out with a long term injury.

Obviously, Saina could never beat LXR and had a poor record against Wang Yihan as well; and Sindhu has been competitive with Marin normally.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:16 am I always considered Sindhu a champion and Saina a crybaby,
One can consider what one wants to consider. However, Saina is an Indian legend. She may have been a crybaby at times but it would be unfair to characterize her career as such. If I had to pick one, I would, of course, pick Sindhu. But, Saina would come just after that. An Olympic bronze medal and a WC silver and bronze, and two Asian Games bronzes is nothing to sneeze at. Sindhu is, of course, a class apart. An Olympic silver, a gold, two silvers, and two bronzes at WCs, and a silver and a bronze at the Asian Games.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:55 am Not trying to make it a Saina vs Sindhu debate, but Sindhu lost to Carolina Marin both at the Olympics and WC finals and Marin so far is the LXR of this generation. And won her WC with Marin out with a long term injury.

Obviously, Saina could never beat LXR and had a poor record against Wang Yihan as well; and Sindhu has been competitive with Marin normally.
Sindhu has a very poor record against TTY (one year older than her) 5-10. And against He Bingjiao (one year younger) 5-9. 4-6 against Shixian Wang. She also has a losing record against Saina Nehwal, Lin Wang, Yanjiao Jiang, Tine Baun, Marin (two years older), Schenk, Yihan Wang, Hirose and Bae. She obviously is more of a big tournament player, it seems.
depleter

Post by depleter »

prasen9 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:31 am She obviously is more of a big tournament player, it seems.
It's quite obvious though. At Sindhu's current age Saina had 8 Super series level titles while Sindhu had 4 till now.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Obviously. Sindhu also has 5 BWF WC medals which is the all-time record for women's singles.

@prasen, TTY is the biggest choker of this generation with no medals at Olympics or the WC yet. And has 19 SuperSeries level title equivalents.

For Sindhu's prospects, I would be more concerned about Marin making a full comeback.

But yes, calling Saina a crybaby is silly. She is the pioneer of the renaissance of Indian badminton. I think someone called Sania as being inspirational. If anyone from the last 15 years deserves that title, that is Saina.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Even though Saina has not been as successful as Sindhu in the World Championships and Olympics she has a good record in the Super Series events. Winning a China Open or an Indonesia Open is at least equivalent to wiinjng an ATP1000 event in tennis if not a Grand Slam. She also finished runner up in the All England and win the Denmark Open. Sindhu on the other hand has a single China Open though she has won the year end event.
I feel Saina had to face tougher competition in her prime. The Chinese were much stronger, Tai and Marin were still there, Intanon was a better player and some Europeans like Tine Baun were still there.
Anyway let us enjoy Sindhu's success and hope Saina has a last revival before calling it a day.

The sad part is who after Saina and Sindhu?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:14 am Obviously. Sindhu also has 5 BWF WC medals which is the all-time record for women's singles.

@prasen, TTY is the biggest choker of this generation with no medals at Olympics or the WC yet. And has 19 SuperSeries level title equivalents.

For Sindhu's prospects, I would be more concerned about Marin making a full comeback.
Also Yamaguchi whom Sindhu has lost to more than won in recent times.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:14 am @prasen, TTY is the biggest choker of this generation with no medals at Olympics or the WC yet. And has 19 SuperSeries level title equivalents.
Which means she has the game but not the head. True greats win consistently. The fact that Sindhu relaxes (relatively) during the season and only wakes up at the WCs and Olympics is a deficiency in her. And it is not as if she is like Leander. He could only get high and play at great heights for a few sets or for a few matches in Davis Cup. He could not get up and go ra ra tournament after tournament. Besides, he used to get injured more often if he played more than 2-3 weeks in a row. He had limitations. Sindhu does not have such limitations physically or skills-wise. She possibly does not focus as much (which is different from saying that she does not focus) week in and week out.

Given the lopsided records against TTY and He, using the Federer objection, I would not rate her as *the* best in her generation. If you have to be the best in your generation, you have to have a winning record against all your peers (excepting small sample sizes). She is one of the very best and women's badminton does not really have a *the* unparalleled best in this generation.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

If Sindhu can win the Olympics next year, I would rate her as the best in her generation. Right now, that mantle is with Marin.

The Federer objection was always in regards with people calling him GOAT.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, but if he is the greatest of his era, he is the greatest of all-time. The Federer-Djokovic objection is applicable here.

Having said that, yes, if she does win the Olympic gold, then she will have a legitimate claim of being the greatest of her generation.