Malaysia masters/ Indonesia Masters (BWF Super 500)

Moderator: Moderators

kaustav
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Malaysia masters/ Indonesia Masters (BWF Super 500)

Post by kaustav »

Saina is an outstanding athlete. Very few can come back after 25+ injury in badminton, and from 2016 it took more than 2 years for her to back in her prime form...Just outstanding from Saina. :clap: :clap: :clap:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

And Marin has raptued the anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee and will undergo a surgery. She will be out for at least 6 months and will be hoping to get back for the world championships in August. Unfortunate. :-(
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

Very good news...Li Xuerui dominated world badminton more than anybody else and only Tai Zu can be compared...Even Li Xuerui is struggling to comeback after the surgery in 2016...Saina suffered same fate in 2016 and after almost 3 years is back to her best...Marin would take at least a year or two be in same form as she is now...It will be beneficial for both the Indians... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am sorry. This is not very good news at all. Does one win matter that much? There are many other players who can defeat ours. And, during one tournament who knows what will happen. I understand different people have different morals. But, in my opinion, we should not cheer for anyone's injury. Injuries are painful both physically and mentally and takes a part of someone's life and some liberty. The glory of victory is better if done against a full slate of opponents.

Saina would not want an injury to her opponent. From the photos, she seems to be all class. These women play against each other and develop friendships.

At the end, we are all human beings. Let us not cheer at the misery of another :-(
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

I agree Prasen. It is not only one tournament as Marin will be out for 6 months at least and will take some on return to get back to her old form. That is why Kaustav seems to be suggesting that chances of our players doing well in big tournaments has gone up. ( Tai also seems to be injured currently). But, still it is not in good taste to celebrate on someone's injury.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Agree. Despite the intent, celebrating someone’s ACL tear is not good.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

In this case, Marin is good but not all-dominating. I do feel a bit of an asterisk is there over India's first win in Australia in cricket (tests). Two top players is hard to take. One injury may happen. So, Warner and Smith's loss makes the win a bit asterisky. I do not think Marin is that much of a force despite being pretty darn good. Despite her absence, we will have a very tough task to win the majors in badminton. Here's to speedy recovery for her. And, then our players beating her in every match after that.
srini

Post by srini »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 pm But, in my opinion, we should not cheer for anyone's injury.
But can hope for a minor injury when selectors are biased towards their old friends going into a high stakes tournament ;) trying to take a dig at you Prasen for your comments on cricket forum lol
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 pm In this case, Marin is good but not all-dominating. I do feel a bit of an asterisk is there over India's first win in Australia in cricket (tests). Two top players is hard to take. One injury may happen. So, Warner and Smith's loss makes the win a bit asterisky. I do not think Marin is that much of a force despite being pretty darn good. Despite her absence, we will have a very tough task to win the majors in badminton. Here's to speedy recovery for her. And, then our players beating her in every match after that.
In most US professional contact sports, athletes take around 1 year to get back to top level competition after an ACL tear but its generally in the second year that they get back to their best. In badminton, hopefully it will be a little shorter but 6 months will be ambitious for her to play at a high level. Good luck to her for a speedy recovery!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

srini wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:51 pm
prasen9 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 pm But, in my opinion, we should not cheer for anyone's injury.
But can hope for a minor injury when selectors are biased towards their old friends going into a high stakes tournament ;) trying to take a dig at you Prasen for your comments on cricket forum lol
Absolutely spot on, srini! Fair game :-) I could split the thread in a lawyer-like fashion saying that cheering is not okay but hoping is okay ;-) And after we hope and it happens then we should feel sad :p But, no I am not saying that either. Wishing, hoping, cheering for an injury is not right. I think Sanjay called my comment out and I agreed that it was in bad taste expressed as it was. For what it is worth anything, I was saying it tongue-in-cheek. I do not hope that Dhoni gets a minor injury either.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Normal people can do normal things in about 2-6 months depending upon the severity of the injury and the repair and what they find when they open it up, etc. But, coming to pre-injury form will at least take three months more to get back because in badminton the strength (and flexibility, I suppose) will matter.
srini

Post by srini »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:24 am
srini wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:51 pm
I think Sanjay called my comment out and I agreed that it was in bad taste expressed as it was. For what it is worth anything, I was saying it tongue-in-cheek. I do not hope that Dhoni gets a minor injury either.
I understood your intent even before you had to explain yourself in that other forum. But when it comes to a tussle between mind and heart i guess being emotional we Indians tend to prefer to listen to what heart says. I don't have any stats to support, but i feel that preference for heart in team selections, and other choices made in high stake sporting events like Olympics would have made a huge difference in numbers by now in terms of medals or number of championships won etc.After the tournament we realize our folly but they will just remain as "What could have beens/would have beens".

:Offtopic:
I hope India's campaign for 2019 cricket world cup won't be like that due to the baggage we are taking
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thanks. :Offtopic:

Selections are also crap-shoot because in essence things are probabilistic and depending upon the roll of the die or which universe among the many alternative universes you are in, your team may or may not win despite you having the best selectorial model. Since our team won in 1983, we, in this universe, feel our selectors did a good job. In our neighboring universe, West Indies won the WC in 1983 and there people were screaming their lungs out at the selection of one Kirti Bhagwat Jha Azad! And clamoring for more Shastri! Go figure. And, in yet another universe, people wanted to send Kapil over the border to Pakistan because he scored a 0 against Zimbabwe and word leaked out that the Kapil in the neighboring universe had scored 175* Although such scores were not heard of in this universe, the Kapil who scored 0 lived in ignominy in a tiny hut in Baluchistan after being exiled resorting to tilling his own land while envying the Kapil who was a celebrity in the other universe busy playing golf! Oh well :-(