YONEX All England Open 2018

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: YONEX All England Open 2018

Post by jaydeep »

This new service rule has affected our players as many points were given on fault service.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Sindhu's semi-final against Yamaguchi is on now (live on YouTube).

She won the first game 21-19, trailing 14-17 in the second.

[Edit]
2nd game: 16-19, 17-19, 18-19, 18-20, 19-20, 19-21 (Cruel point at the end. The cock clipped the net and fell on Sindhu's side :mad:)
3rd game:
7-4, 7-5, 8-5, 8-6, (They are playing a lot of long rallies and Sindhu is visibly very tired),
8-7 (Brilliant smash but nets the follow-shot), 9-7, 10-7, 11-7 (what a smash to end a long rally!)
12-7, 13-7, 13-8, 13-9 (good smash, but follow-up shot goes wide),
13-10 (bad luck, but what a rally!), 13-11, 14-11, 14-12, 14-13 (bad judgement to leave the cock when it was well inside),
14-14 (Yamaguchi seems to have found a new life, she is pumped up and Sindhu looks very very tired),
15-14, 15-15, 16-15 (brilliant brilliant point!!! Sorry, no time to write details, I don't want to miss the next point)
16-16, 17-16 (Yamaguchi wanted to challenge the call, but umpire refused saying "it has to be immediate". The Japanese took time to consult with her coach before challenging)
17-17 (net shot missed narrowly :-( )
18-17 (Sindhu is showing urgency and finding new energy here!)
18-19 (Sindhu challenged, but it was in. At least she got a few ex)
18-20 :-(
18-21

[SF] (4) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,3) l. (2) Akane Yamguchi (JPN,2) 21-19, 19-21, 18-21

Sindhu looked very tired after all those long matches. She lost quite a few of these close matches in the past (to her Japanese opponents especially) where the only differentiating factor was not badminton but her physical condition.

- Varma
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

There is obviously very little indeed to choose between the world #2 and #3. Sadly, #3 fell just short after her epic QF.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sidhu being a tall player will be more disadvantaged by the new service rule. Anyone knows how many faults she had versus the others. Did she adjust the serve and get affected more? Of course, the main issue is fitness/fatigue. But, I want to know if anyone watched the matches and knows how this new rule affected her.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

I watched 2 of Sindhu's matches and don't think there were too many service errors. Sometimes, Sindhu loses foucs in some of the matches which she should be winning easily. Like here she had to play 3 games in the first 2 matches too against Thai opponents who were ranked below 20. Those matches and long QF against Okuhara (which was expected) had somewhat tired her and may have made a difference in the vital third game yesterday.
Varma

Post by Varma »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:15 pm Sidhu being a tall player will be more disadvantaged by the new service rule. Anyone knows how many faults she had versus the others. Did she adjust the serve and get affected more? Of course, the main issue is fitness/fatigue. But, I want to know if anyone watched the matches and knows how this new rule affected her.
I watched most of yesterday's semi-final. She didn't have any service faults when I was watching. However, one of the commentators was very impressed with Sindhu's defense in the front of the court despite her height.As far as I could tell, yesterday's loss was solely on her being too tired. Well, Sindhu and Gopi will know a lot better than an arm-chair critic :p. I am sure they will work on whatever needs to be worked on.

- Varma
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

More than Sindhu, I am worried about Srikanth. He is falling off fast in the last 6 months.
rajuu

Post by rajuu »

Shi Yuqi stuns Lin Dan, Tai defeats Yamaguchi to win All England Open Title-2018.

The 22-year-old Shi Yuqi created major upset after defeating his compatriot Lin Dan at the final of All England Open at Birmingham on Sunday.

Seventh seeded Shi Yuqi denied seventh All England title of the legend Lin Dan with 21-19, 16-21, 21-9. Lin’s absence of attacking skills grew confidence in Shi.

First game was neck-to-neck till 4-4 followed by Shi’s dominance till 9-6. The 34-year-old scored 3 points straight to par the score at 9-9 and was trailing by 2 points by the break with 9-11. The players levelled the score couple of times after the half time and then Shi grabbed the lead to seal the first game.

Lin exhibited his amazing play out of his experience and threw the tough game to drag the match into the decider, where he lost the pace and thrashed by Shi to lose an opportunity to take, yet, another All England title.

“I was controlling my stride, besides being patient. That helped me to get the match back,” said Shi Yuqi, as quoted the saying by Scroll.in.

Had Lin prevailed, he would have remained as the oldest player in 63 years to win the All England.

Lin contented that playing at this level is good.

While, Tai became the first ever women’s singles player from the Chinese Taipei to have clinched the oldest title in more than a decade.

Notwithstanding the victory over the world no. 2 Akane Yamaguchi with 22-20, 21-13, Tai admits that she committed a lot of http://www.gobadminton.in/international ... ermistakes in the first game, where she saved a game points.

The first game was full of pressure filled rallies, where both fought hard to save the game. Tai’s aggressiveness at some point punished her with the net shots to lose the points. By the breather, the top seeded Tai was three points less than Yamaguchi with 8-11. With few hiccups, the players went down the wire with 20-20, where the defending champion saved the game points.

The second game was completely under the dominance of the Taiwanese, where she maintained the safe gap of minimum two points. Gradually, Tai cruised to the huge advantage of 12-5 and then 18-13, followed by winning consecutive points to stand on the podium with the trophy.

Final results:

Men’s Singles: Shi Yuqi (7) beat Lin Dan (6) with 21-19, 16-21, 21-9;

Women’s Singles: Tai Tzu Ying (1) beat Akane Yamaguchi (2) with 22-20, 21-13;

Men’s Doubles: Marcus Fernaldi (1)/Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo beat Mathias Boe (2)/Carsten Mogensen with 21-18, 21-17;

Women’s Doubles: Kamilla Rytter Juhl (3)/Christinna Pedersen beat Yuki Fukushina (4)/Sayaka Hirota with 21-19, 21-18;

Mixed Doubles: Yuta Watanabe/Arisa Higashino beat Zheng Siwei(5)/Huang Yaqiong with 15-21, 22-20, 21-16