Denmark Open / French Open 2017 World Superseries

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Denmark Open / French Open 2017 World Superseries

Post by Sin Hombre »

He has a pretty tough draw in China (seeded 8th for the draw) so we will see how he performs there. Prannoy in Round 2, Son-wan Ho in QF, Chen Long in the semis and Axelsen in the finals.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Sin Hombre wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:25 am He has a pretty tough draw in China (seeded 8th for the draw) so we will see how he performs there. Prannoy in Round 2, Son-wan Ho in QF, Chen Long in the semis and Axelsen in the finals.
Where did you get the draw? I didn't see it on the bwf website.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

These days Srikanth is playing badminton like the way Roger Federer playing tennis, demolishing everything in their path.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

srini wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:57 am
Now with the benefit of hindsight,looking at his results before and after world championships where Srikanth was winning superseries left and right, i find WC an aberration where he lost to Son wan Ho of korea who is sort of ok dokie player and certainly no Lin dan or even Axelsen for that matter.Srikanth lost his left shoe during a rally and that may have disconcerted him in that match following link actually captured that moment
https://www.google.co.in/amp/indianexpr ... 3848/lite/
I feel it doesn’t behold the stature of any professional badminton player to lose shoe like that, i mean I never saw any Tennis player losing shoe in rally there have been incidents of losing racquet though which is ok but losing shoe indicates a more serious problem either he didn’t tie lace properly or more probable using a bigger sized shoe than one that fits right for him. Either way it would have seriously compromised his agility amd mobility which costed him that Quarter Final and probably the WC, he may know better and it may haunt him for ever
I’m pretty sure Rafa has lost his shoe at least twice during rallies AFAIK this year. Even the bests don’t tie up their shoes tight often
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

rajitghosh wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:19 am Where did you get the draw? I didn't see it on the bwf website.
Rajit, you can check here - China Open SSP 2017 - DRAW (Updated Tuesday, 24th October 2017)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:23 pm
prasen9 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:39 am And/or somehow keep Sindhu fit. She does look quite athletic and fit. But, she is young. Don't know how she will age. Srikanth is actually two years older than Sindhu. But, you are saying that men can stay competitive for a much longer time? Any conjectures as to why? In tennis, we see both men and women lengthen the conventional retirement age. In badminton, do the women need more flexibility? So, like women's gymnastics they age faster? Men need more power and that remains?
Men stay competitive for longer. But also their peak age is between 23-31 which is similar to tennis.

The women hit their peak earlier (~20) and are past peak by 24-25.

Li Xuerui who was dominant in her early 20s and won the Olympics at 21 has been semi-retired at 25. Wu Yihan officially retired at 28. Saina seems to be past her peak by 26 as well and is already the second oldest player amongst the top 30.

I don't play badminton to answer your questions prasen. I do think tennis isn't too different as per the data once you take out the Williams sisters.

Probably it is a combination of power and endurance which are more important for men and explosiveness for the women?
This article reiterates what Sinhombre stated about mens singles badminton -

Where the boys are: Why is men’s singles the exception to the prodigy pattern?

There are far fewer teenage winners in mens singles in 4 other disciplines.

Srikanth has a much larger window left to succeed at world stage than Sindhu.