Denmark Open / French Open 2017 World Superseries

Moderator: Moderators

bujilover
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Denmark Open / French Open 2017 World Superseries

Post by bujilover »

Turned to be a convincing win for Srikanth. 21-10 21-5 :notworthy:

At $750K DANISA Denmark Open 2017, Odense, Denmark (World Superseries Premier)

Men's Singles Final
(8) Kidambi Srikanth (IND,8) bt Lee Hyun Il (KOR,22) 21-10 21-5
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

Looks like opponent was too tired after his sf
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Srikanth now needs to start performing similarly at the biggest tournaments.

He is now T4 in terms of SS title wins (behind the big 3 of Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei and Chen Long) but ahead of both Viktor Axelsen (who is WR #1 and has 2 WC medals and an Olympic medal but only 3 SS titles) and Son Won Ho (who was the previous #1 and has a WC medal but only 2 SS titles).

You call his career so far the opposite of Sindhu who has also won just 3 SS but has an Olympic silver and 3 WC medals already.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Congrats, Srikanth!!
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

2017 has been a super duper year for Srikanth. woohoo
There is no Lin Dan or Lee Chong Wei in women's Badminton and since the top Chinese have stopped playing women's single for the last 2/3 years, P. V. Sindhu's job has become relatively easier.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is the tally of super series singles titles for the year contrywise-

India - 6
Taiwan - 3
Denmark - 2
Japan - 2
Malaysia, China, Thailand, Spain, Indonesia - 1

It is great to see us right at the top with 6 titles ( 3 by Srikanth, 2 by Sindhu and 1 by Sai Praneeth). China has only 1 title by Lin Dan in Malaysia super series.

If we include doubles though, China comes right at the top with 11 titles, Indoenesia and Japan too are ahead of us with 7 titles each.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Saniapower wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:14 am 2017 has been a super duper year for Srikanth. woohoo
There is no Lin Dan or Lee Chong Wei in women's Badminton and since the top Chinese have stopped playing women's single for the last 2/3 years, P. V. Sindhu's job has become relatively easier.
Well observed. We have to look at Saina's performance in this context. She won super series titles when the 3 Chinese were rampaging. In fact she is joint 4th on the all time super series list. No prizes for guessing who the top 3 are. Tai has equalled her and given her extraordinary talent will overtake her. But 5th is not bad. I won't be surprised if Saina still wins 1-2 more titles. Sindhu needs to match that record.
Srikanth ' s overall record is now almost at par with the legend Prakash Padukone.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Can someone find the technology to clone Gopichand?

Seriously though, can the government/badminton association approach Gopichand to pay him and pay his academy enough so that he can identify two junior assistants who are highly dedicated like Gopi and also were decent players (either Indian or abroad) to expand the production of the academy into doubles (I know of the coach they got) and also be groomed for the day Gopi will inevitably stop doing what he does or get slower?
Varma

Post by Varma »

We need him to be our sports minister. He will not sleep until the system is cleansed.

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Varma,

Sorry to be a pessimist. I think it is much easier to be a coach an produce top players. It depends upon you and the players. But, politics is a morass. If Gopi is the sports minister, he will be swallowed by the system and rendered ineffective. See our hockey coaches in the quicksand of our hockey association. If it was a communist system, where the minister can do anything pretty much, then he could perhaps have done something. I know what you mean, but I would rather use him to keep improving our badminton.

Maybe after Saina retires, she can join the revolution? It is kind of sad that Prakash did not do something like this a few decades ago. But, I guess some people are great players but do not know or have the dedication to be a great coach.

-Prasen
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:09 pm Varma,

Sorry to be a pessimist. I think it is much easier to be a coach an produce top players. It depends upon you and the players. But, politics is a morass. If Gopi is the sports minister, he will be swallowed by the system and rendered ineffective. See our hockey coaches in the quicksand of our hockey association. If it was a communist system, where the minister can do anything pretty much, then he could perhaps have done something. I know what you mean, but I would rather use him to keep improving our badminton.

Maybe after Saina retires, she can join the revolution? It is kind of sad that Prakash did not do something like this a few decades ago. But, I guess some people are great players but do not know or have the dedication to be a great coach.

-Prasen
To be fair to Prakash he did coach Gopi for a while and arguably has the 2nd best academy in India that even Saina has benefitted from.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Did Prakash produce an Olympic medalist? No. Did he produce a WC medal? I think not. Prakash does not have the coaching credentials of Gopi. Having said that, I accept that he did coach to some degree of success. But, what I meant by "something like this" is producing medals at the highest level. So, the question is why is Gopi successful while Prakash was not. I think the answer is Gopi's single-mindedness and dedication. Prakash did not have that as a coach, as far as I have heard.

2nd best by a distinct margin. Saina did benefit in putting the icing on the cake. But, the cake was built by Gopi. And, I do not know how good it was because she went to Vimal Kumar when she needed something different later on in her career.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

This week, Kashyap is joined to the Indian group ... Pranaav and Sikki again had a tough first round draw and they lost in the straight game against WR #4 Indonesian pair.

*Edited*
At $325K YONEX French Open 2017, Paris, France (World Superseries)

[R1] Parupalli Kashyap (IND,46) vs Anthony Sinisuka Ginting (INA,18)
[R1] Sai Praneeth B. (IND,16) vs Khosit Phetpradab (THA,35)
[R1] Prannoy H.S. (IND,14) vs Lee Hyun Il (KOR,22)
[R1] (8) Kidambi Srikanth (IND,8) vs Fabian Roth (GER,45)

[R1] Saina Nehwal (IND,12) vs Line Højmark Kjaersfeldt (DEN,34)
[R1] (2) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,2) vs Beatriz Corrales (ESP,27)

[R1] Manu Attri (IND)/ B. Sumeeth Reddy (IND) vs Vladimir Ivanov (RUS)/ Ivan Sozonov (RUS)
[R1] Satwiksairaj Rankireddy (IND)/ Chirag Shetty (IND) vs Bastian Kersaudy (FRA)/ Julien Maid (FRA)
[R1] Ashwini Ponnappa (IND)/ N. Sikki Reddy (IND) vs Jenny Moore (ENG)/ Victoria Williams (ENG)

[R1] Pranaav Jerry Chopra (ND)/ N. Sikki Reddy (IND) l (4) Tontowi Ahmad (INA)/ Liliyana Natsir (INA) 15-21 12-21
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

jaydeep wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:52 am This week, Verma brothers, Ajay and Kashyap r joined to the Indian group ... Pranaav and Sikki again had a tough first round draw and they lost in the straight game against WR #4 Indonesian pair.

At $$325K YONEX French Open 2017, Paris, France (World Superseries)

[R1] Parupalli Kashyap (IND,46) vs Anthony Sinisuka Ginting (INA,18)
[R1] Ajay Jayaram (IND,21) vs (6) Chen Long (CHN,6)
[R1] Sourabh Verma (IND,41) vs (4) Yuqi Shi (CHN,4)
[R1] Sameer Verma (IND,19) vs Ng Ka Long Angus (HKG,9)
[R1] Sai Praneeth B. (IND,16) vs Khosit Phetpradab (THA,35)
[R1] Prannoy H.S. (IND,14) vs Lee Hyun Il (KOR,22)
[R1] (8) Kidambi Srikanth (IND,8) vs Fabian Roth (GER,45)

[R1] Saina Nehwal (IND,12) vs Line Højmark Kjaersfeldt (DEN,34)
[R1] (2) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND,2) vs Beatriz Corrales (ESP,27)

[R1] Manu Attri (IND)/ B. Sumeeth Reddy (IND) vs Vladimir Ivanov (RUS)/ Ivan Sozonov (RUS)
[R1] Satwiksairaj Rankireddy (IND)/ Chirag Shetty (IND) vs Bastian Kersaudy (FRA)/ Julien Maid (FRA)
[R1] Ashwini Ponnappa (IND)/ N. Sikki Reddy (IND) vs Jenny Moore (ENG)/ Victoria Williams (ENG)

[R1] Pranaav Jerry Chopra (ND)/ N. Sikki Reddy (IND) l (4) Tontowi Ahmad (INA)/ Liliyana Natsir (INA) 15-21 12-21
Both the Verma brothers and Ajay Jayaram withdrew, I assume because of injuries.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Thanks Rajit. Updating my post.